Old
  (#16)
Skippy27
AzB Silver Member
Skippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-18-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil dade View Post
Actually it does make a difference. They play diffferent as speed and position will vary considerably. Also on larger tables ballls open up and travel different. Note the difficulty pro have in adjusting to 10 footers.
Sure you have to adjust speed and angle slightly as a ball in the middle of the table hit to roll 7ft 2 diamonds travels more before hitting a rail on a larger table thus will be traveling slower when it hits the rail with a slightly larger angle and thus will react slightly differentl However, a ball that is 1 ft off the rail with that same 7ft stroke will react very close to the same on every table given same cushions and cloth.

Maybe we can get a Dr. Dave video on this. :-)

Old
  (#17)
seanjonsean
Otanisan Cues
seanjonsean has a reputation beyond reputeseanjonsean has a reputation beyond reputeseanjonsean has a reputation beyond reputeseanjonsean has a reputation beyond reputeseanjonsean has a reputation beyond reputeseanjonsean has a reputation beyond reputeseanjonsean has a reputation beyond reputeseanjonsean has a reputation beyond reputeseanjonsean has a reputation beyond reputeseanjonsean has a reputation beyond reputeseanjonsean has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to seanjonsean  
03-06-2015, 09:48 AM

GREAT vids , ive seen a few others but this has been the best , i was basically on the proper path but with blinders , it all became so clear what i was doing wrong , just a little adjustment i needed ,he also kept my childlike attention , because he didnt go into the science of things , i highly advocate Tor Lowry ,

Old
  (#18)
Texdance
AzB Silver Member
Texdance has a reputation beyond reputeTexdance has a reputation beyond reputeTexdance has a reputation beyond reputeTexdance has a reputation beyond reputeTexdance has a reputation beyond reputeTexdance has a reputation beyond reputeTexdance has a reputation beyond reputeTexdance has a reputation beyond reputeTexdance has a reputation beyond reputeTexdance has a reputation beyond reputeTexdance has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I bought them and have to ask a question. after trying some of his shots and advice, seeing my results, I looked again at the video. I do not believe he is using a 41/2x9' table. it looks like a 7, maybe an 8. For me, I think disclosure is a must to be of value. I stopped watching.

Can anyone please tell me the size of the table used? I have experienced this with other instructional and believe it to be a short coming.

thanks,
Phil
I love the Tor Lowry videos, no matter the table size. When I got mine, the total price was about twenty bucks for the set, really cheap for such good instruction. Recently a version III has become available, apparently at no charge but maybe the upgrade came to me free as a prior customer, not sure.

I use them in conjunction with the Play Great Pool book by Mark Wilson, plus the many Dr Dave videos and explanations, and several Bob Jewett articles in pdf format which are out there for the free downloading.

Between these few instructional items, there is great confirmation and clarity. I have had good luck just playing Tor videos in the background as I play around on my table, so I stop and review shots or techniques as they interest me.

As for the table size, it sounds to me like someone is looking for a reason to dislike the Lowry videos. If they are not for you, try something else, no need to bash them because you have not been informed of the exact table size, who modified the rails, who installed the cloth, what balls are used, what cue Tor has, and what tip he has installed. All that is just sour grapes, and I think anyone looking for such an easy out to dislike teaching should take a good look in the mirror of their learning style, and seek out the good instead of bashing where you do not feel comfortable or need an excuse for some lack of understanding or lack of progress. Because by now everyone should know there is no magic wand, no magic bullet, no magic teacher, no magic instructional video - nevertheless, many people people find the Tor Lowry videos helpful, each to his or her own degree. Many people find the Lowry videos of great benefit, I am among that group.

I have not spent as much time on his banking videos nor as much practice. But the first large video with the basics has improved my game so much that I now expect to run out any game of 8 ball, if I get one make-able shot accompanied with a lane to position or cluster breakup. Formerly I was a three and four ball run artist, always getting so far out of line by the third or maybe fourth ball that I could not recover and finish the run. Now, with Tor's compact stroke, and his ideas on pattern play, plus some shot making drills, I have a huge increase in skill level, so much so that I have to work to casually lose to my banger buddies who have not improved, so they won't lose interest in our barbox fun ball games.

Old
  (#19)
hboat333
AzB Bronze Member
hboat333 has a reputation beyond reputehboat333 has a reputation beyond reputehboat333 has a reputation beyond reputehboat333 has a reputation beyond reputehboat333 has a reputation beyond reputehboat333 has a reputation beyond reputehboat333 has a reputation beyond reputehboat333 has a reputation beyond reputehboat333 has a reputation beyond reputehboat333 has a reputation beyond reputehboat333 has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2015, 08:49 PM

I love Tor's stuff. I can't remember exactly, but I think I paid about 7-8 bucks for his Zero-X kicking video and it was totally worth it. With the amount of instruction he puts out there for free, it felt good to sling some $$$ his way....

Old
  (#20)
hillhill
European Pool Player
hillhill has a reputation beyond reputehillhill has a reputation beyond reputehillhill has a reputation beyond reputehillhill has a reputation beyond reputehillhill has a reputation beyond reputehillhill has a reputation beyond reputehillhill has a reputation beyond reputehillhill has a reputation beyond reputehillhill has a reputation beyond reputehillhill has a reputation beyond reputehillhill has a reputation beyond repute

05-01-2015, 08:42 AM

This one is very informative and easy to understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUJwbfbACf8

Old
  (#21)
Pryme
AzB Silver Member
Pryme has a reputation beyond reputePryme has a reputation beyond reputePryme has a reputation beyond reputePryme has a reputation beyond reputePryme has a reputation beyond reputePryme has a reputation beyond reputePryme has a reputation beyond reputePryme has a reputation beyond reputePryme has a reputation beyond reputePryme has a reputation beyond reputePryme has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2015, 07:56 PM

Tors videos are great. I referred to them when I started playing, and still do just to refresh certain aspects of my game, i try and take the good from all instructional videos.

I purchased his kicking video and still studying it, very informative and detailed.

Old
  (#22)
Jerros
AzB Bronze Member
Jerros is on a distinguished road

08-15-2015, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the recommendation on the videos. Does anyone here actually have the position play videos? Tor shows a new type of shot at about 1:30 on the first position play video for not getting a double hit when your cue ball is almost on top of your target ball and the target ball is on the rail. I was wondering if anyone had looked into the legality of the shot for APA matches.

Old
  (#23)
ShadowKing
AzB Bronze Member
ShadowKing is on a distinguished road

09-16-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
Tors videos are great. I referred to them when I started playing, and still do just to refresh certain aspects of my game, i try and take the good from all instructional videos.

I purchased his kicking video and still studying it, very informative and detailed.
Thats sounds very nice. I will try it.

honor 6 folie

Wenn ich jemandem “Das Leben ist hart” seufzen höre, bin ich immer versucht zu fragen: “Im Vergleich wozu?” iphone 6s schutzfolie

Last edited by ShadowKing; 09-16-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Old
  (#24)
oldmanatc
AzB Silver Member
oldmanatc has a reputation beyond reputeoldmanatc has a reputation beyond reputeoldmanatc has a reputation beyond reputeoldmanatc has a reputation beyond reputeoldmanatc has a reputation beyond reputeoldmanatc has a reputation beyond reputeoldmanatc has a reputation beyond reputeoldmanatc has a reputation beyond reputeoldmanatc has a reputation beyond reputeoldmanatc has a reputation beyond reputeoldmanatc has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2015, 03:20 PM

I have all Tors vids as well, the pattern play videos alobe are worth it. Ive only had them for about 2 weeks, so time will tell. He has a very down to earth way of explaining things that makes them feel like common sense.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Old
  (#25)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

12-12-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I bought them and have to ask a question. after trying some of his shots and advice, seeing my results, I looked again at the video. I do not believe he is using a 41/2x9' table. it looks like a 7, maybe an 8. For me, I think disclosure is a must to be of value. I stopped watching.

Can anyone please tell me the size of the table used? I have experienced this with other instructional and believe it to be a short coming.

thanks,
Phil
He is using a 9' table for his pattern play. I asked him because some of the patterns are too tight on my 88" table and he confirmed. I don't know on the kicking and banking.

Old
  (#26)
lvlss42190
AzB Silver Member
lvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond repute

12-19-2015, 08:30 PM

I would have to agree here, I purchased the entire video collection from his website. For about 40 dollars I got 14 hours of videos and a few ebooks as well. There can be some repeat information that I'm sure anyone who has played before has heard somewhere. The way Tor presents this information and explains it is always easy to understand and there are numerous instances where he throws in a gem or two that really make all the difference. The banking video helped me a lot with lining up the shots, and I swear by his ball pocketing drills.

For the price you pay you can't beat it, the only instructional material I would recommend over zero x would be the Dr. Dave V.E.P.S. or V.E.P.P. DVD's which are considerably more expensive, but in my opinion offer much more.

Old
  (#27)
SARDiver
JCC Chief
SARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2016, 06:10 PM

I don't have the videos...yet.

I've never received instruction on the proper methods and techniques. I have no formal knowledge of shot mechanics, and like a golfer who has adjusted to his slice over the years, I likely compensate for my errors, leading to inconsistent play.

I just watched a one hour video with this guy, did some of the drills, and have already seen some improvement on long shots. I plan to get his DVD set when Sauron (who wears the One Ring to Rule Them All) gives me my allowance.

Old
  (#28)
brokenarrowjbe
AzB Silver Member
brokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond reputebrokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond reputebrokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond reputebrokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond reputebrokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond reputebrokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond reputebrokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond reputebrokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond reputebrokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond reputebrokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond reputebrokenarrowjbe has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2016, 06:31 PM

I got them. Lot of fluff but also lot of good info. Do the drills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLaying cue: Bob Owens Box cue, Ebony/Maple Musashi
Breaking cue: BHQ ebony curly maple butterfly

Old
  (#29)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

01-29-2016, 05:05 AM

Wish there was a billiards player that would do what tors doing but with straight rail and 3c

Support the growth of Carom in the us
Buy your self a Texas Carom club shirt and become an honorary member

http://forums.azbilliards.com/album....ictureid=17889
http://forums.azbilliards.com/album....ictureid=17890

ask me about balkline and 1 cushion billiards

Old
  (#30)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2016, 07:16 PM

I bought the collection tonight, downloading now

Seen half of the kicking and some of the banks

30 bucks is worth 10+hrs of instructional videos

Support the growth of Carom in the us
Buy your self a Texas Carom club shirt and become an honorary member

http://forums.azbilliards.com/album....ictureid=17889
http://forums.azbilliards.com/album....ictureid=17890

ask me about balkline and 1 cushion billiards

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread