Ok Im buying a break and jump or bk/jump, and other stuff. Advice needed.

PitterPatter

Registered
Okay I haven't never invested in buying any type of cues except a cheap players cue, so my experience is so bad...but I want the best!

Okay as far as a jump cue I was looking at is between the predator air jump 2 or the
Meucci MEUJ Jump Cue, I believe the Meucci is the pogo stick one. Oh aside from the phenolic tips, should I go with something better? they say the samsara j/b is a ton better? Also I am open to other cue suggestions.

---

Now as far as break cues, I been looking at the famous predator bk 3 and the mezz power break pro with the H shaft core I believe, not sure which one would be more effective, and are the standard tips good for these?

---

Lastly the jump/break cue, I only eye balled one being the mezz dual force j/b. I know the jump ability may not be in comparison as singularly as to maybe the break since I am unsure about that apart as well. And if I did get this stick, should I stick with the standard tip trance etc tip or go with the samsara I mentioned above?

I know all this information is asking a lot but would much appreciate it to learn a bit of information before I proceed buying anything. I don't live near anyone locally to obtain this information so I assume this be the best place to go.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a Meucci lover but don't recommend the jump cue or break cue from Meucci.
I won't go with Predator either.

Lomax or some other custom would be my choice.

To be honest...it's the skill of the breaker and jumper, not the equipment used.

Last edited:

PitterPatter

Registered
mhmm

You'd have to be a fool to buy the Meucci.
I won't go with Predator either.

Lomax or some other custom would be my choice.

Seems like Lomax is pretty popular, glad to hear some of this information actually. So by chance is this referring to everything? or just the jump cue in general?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like Lomax is pretty popular, glad to hear some of this information actually. So by chance is this referring to everything? or just the jump cue in general?

For breaking I prefer a leather tip but for jumping G-10, phenolic, or bakelite is my preference.

There will be better recommendations than mine.

Some might like a Joss Thor, McDermott Stinger, Poison which are all production cues and work fine.

But if you want the best, Lomax is a start and I'll let others chime in.

I use an Omega BJ only because of the 5/16-18 joint pin. Some places where I play have tight spaces so I can put my play shaft on my jump/break cue and just break it down to a short stick.

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
Big Name and high cost do not always equel the best

Starting out a J&J or Kaiser J/B is hard to beat for the money , I use a Kaiser JB 2 which i paid a whopping 70 dollars for and it breaks as well as anything i ever handled including the Mezz and Predator. and it proudly rides in the same bag as my high end playing cues now its not a custom and its forign made but what matters is what feels right in your hands , not someone elses hands. this is a great starter especially if you are just learning to jump . and you havent sank a ton of money into it. try as many as you can until you find the one that feels right for you and your playing style.

Best of Rolls

Billy

PitterPatter

Registered
So is predator and mezz brands aren't that good or something? oh and why is meucci, I did get word about some horrible trend in the past, but are they honestly that bad!?

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
So is predator and mezz brands aren't that good or something? oh and why is meucci, I did get word about some horrible trend in the past, but are they honestly that bad!?

Mezz and Predator make the best break cues, but there are better jump cues out there, imho.

Adam makes the best production jump cue I have tried. Keith-Andy makes the best jump cue overall, but is difficult to acquire in the states.

Last edited:

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy 2 cues, break and jump, easy to use, and switch between.
Don't buy Meucci, their quality control is poor.
I use a Mezz power break 2 (the short one) and a Lucasi L-2000JC jump cue.

For a good break and jump shot the practice and technique is the secret, not the brand of cue.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gilbert

I use and recommend a Gilbert break/jump cue. They break great, jump pretty sporty and actually play very well. They are a great all around utility cue. I used the Samsara tip on one shaft and a HH Ultra Skin on the other. I prefer the HH for cue ball control on the break but it doesn't jump very well. The Samsara tip does jump better.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A custom break cue does not cost more than a factory cue.
I`m having Bob Flynn make me a break cue and a jump cue.
Both are full core purpleheart with G10 pin.
Price for both: $625,-
I also have a McDermott i1 shaft, so experiment between a maple/graphite shaft and a purpleheart shaft.

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
I agree on the Gilbert J/B

I use and recommend a Gilbert break/jump cue. They break great, jump pretty sporty and actually play very well. They are a great all around utility cue. I used the Samsara tip on one shaft and a HH Ultra Skin on the other. I prefer the HH for cue ball control on the break but it doesn't jump very well. The Samsara tip does jump better.

Matt I agree the Andy Gilbert Jump breaks are to by far the best i have used and your right they actally play pretty damn good to boot.

The finest playing cue i have played with is a Gilbert that my best friend has in his collection. Damn i wish he would sell it to me but after 3 years of offers and pledging my first born he still wont budge off of it lol

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt I agree the Andy Gilbert Jump breaks are to by far the best i have used and your right they actally play pretty damn good to boot.

The finest playing cue i have played with is a Gilbert that my best friend has in his collection. Damn i wish he would sell it to me but after 3 years of offers and pledging my first born he still wont budge off of it lol

I have a Gilbert player with a SS joint that plays fantastic. I wouldn't trade it for your first born either, no offense Lol. It has been my main cue for a while.

I have played with at least 4 Gilbert JB cues and they all have played great. Everyone that tries mine really likes it. I have said many times if I had to give up all my cues but one to play with I would keep the Gilbert JB to fit the role.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
PP,
I advise you to try out different break cues and different jump cues BEFORE you buy.

Steve Lomax does make great cues, not just jump cues and break cues but playing cues as well. I use Steve's jump cue with two different butts, one of long distance and one for short distances.

I use a Predator BK2 with Sport Grip. If you buy the BK3 and don't like it and it has a Sport Grip, I will trade my "solid" BK2 for your BK3. ;)

I also like the idea that others have mentioned about buying inexpensive equipment to see if you can live with that.

Getting a consensus of opinion about cues is a great idea but ultimately, what works best for you is a matter of your opinion.

Good luck,

JoeyA

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont think you could go wrong with an alex brick jump break.

over the last 6 months about a dozen people in my pool hall switched to a brick j/b.

when my teamate tried mine he hung up his predator bk2 and bought a brick also.the diamondwood material seems indestructable. the fit and finish is excellent for the cost.

one last thing. i play apa and jump cues are not allowed. last week i got in a situation where i could not kick and thought i would try to jump. not only did i make a full cue jump but i pocketed the ball also. the 1st and only time i tried to jump i was sucessful. if a newbie like me can jump with it i can only imagine how well it works in experienced hands.... but then it could have been beginers luck .

Last edited:

2_Fast_4_Fleas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a break/jump that you can also use as a great playing cue, look for cues that disappear as soon as they are listed... such as a (Mace) by rick howard

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I advise *against* a jump/break cue. The requirements are different for each. You want maximum cueball defelection in a jump cue, but for the most control on the break you want minimal cueball defelction. Two totally opposed design philosophies.

I have tried LOTS of both types. So far I think the Jacoby jump cue is miles ahead of the next best jump cue I've tried.

I currently use the BK2 Predator break cue, but I am really wanting a BK3. It is truly an awesome cue. I actually like the feel and balance of the BK2 better, and like this better than any other break cue. However, there is no arguing with how amazingly the BK3 hits the rack. I must say, the BK3 seems to work the best when you just break medium speed and pop the rack. Holy crap does it put a lot of force into the cue ball.

Anyway, those would be my very discerning and well researched recommendations!

KMRUNOUT

PitterPatter

Registered
Indeed

I advise *against* a jump/break cue. The requirements are different for each. You want maximum cueball defelection in a jump cue, but for the most control on the break you want minimal cueball defelction. Two totally opposed design philosophies.

I have tried LOTS of both types. So far I think the Jacoby jump cue is miles ahead of the next best jump cue I've tried.

I currently use the BK2 Predator break cue, but I am really wanting a BK3. It is truly an awesome cue. I actually like the feel and balance of the BK2 better, and like this better than any other break cue. However, there is no arguing with how amazingly the BK3 hits the rack. I must say, the BK3 seems to work the best when you just break medium speed and pop the rack. Holy crap does it put a lot of force into the cue ball.

KMRUNOUT

I got to use the bk 3 and I loved it, so I thought about it. I'm curious about how one of those H core shafts on a power break pro mezz break cue feels like though still :)

I was hoping someone would bring that up.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KMRUNOUT

i found that taking about 25% off my break speed works best on my brick also. it broke good when i just smashed the hell outa the rack but it seems to work better at 3/4 my hard break.

i kinda agree with you about a dedicated breaker vs a jump/break but try telling that to my teamate who hung up his bk2 and bought a brick after trying mine.