Natural ability VS. Trained ability

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That link was very enjoyable to read. If their research is correct, I am a growth mindset. I know a professional pool player who fits the category described of a Fixed Mindset almost perfectly. (He will always play better than me, no matter what I do.)

The book goes into more detail.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
'if it feels right, it's probably wrong"

The knowledge and experience required to play world class nine ball obviously can be obtained in the short period of time they have played. (Which might not be that short)

And skills will develop much faster with the absence of self limiting beliefs. I would venture to guess that both had very few self limiting beliefs and if they had a few they were quickly overcome.

There are many levels of pool playing perceptions, and a players must be willing to experiment to find their best way (even if they think some of the ways are wrong).....many of the most important techniques are counter intuitive. 'if it feels right, it's probably wrong"

'The Game is the Teacher'

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Natural born talent is about 80% I think...While in high school I was on the track team...We had a guy named Roscoe Cook....He ran the 100 yard dash..(It's now called the 100 meter dash)...He never trained..NEVER...He would go under the bleachers and smoke waiting to be called for his race...When called He would show up, win the race and go sit down....He never lost one single race ever...He went on to San Diego State and broke the world record for the 100 dash at 9.4 seconds...You can look his name up in world records books...A natural...
Same as in other sports....A baseball player can train harder and have more desire than another player and never get out of AA ball where someone with more natural will move on to the big leagues...
Not saying training is not important, it is, but some have it and some don't...Ever see that video on you tube of the 3 year old Chinese kid playing on a 10 ft snooker table? Was it training at 3 yrs old or natural talent??

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
There are many levels of pool playing perceptions, and a players must be willing to experiment to find their best way (even if they think some of the ways are wrong).....many of the most important techniques are counter intuitive. 'if it feels right, it's probably wrong"

'The Game is the Teacher'

I believe that is right. I know in Golf the best way to swing the club is very uncomfortable at first but ends up having the best results after practice. Very few are naturals but I know some that are and they seem to have an innate ability to do things the right way. But even these lucky few hone their skills when mentored and with practice.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(He will always play better than me, no matter what I do.)

I wonder what affect a belief of (I am going to practice so I can play like that) would have.

I'm not talking about having that thought I mean what if you truly believed it.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"It it feels right, it's probably wrong" is the rule of thumb in golf and pool.

I believe that is right. I know in Golf the best way to swing the club is very uncomfortable at first but ends up having the best results after practice. Very few are naturals but I know some that are and they seem to have an innate ability to do things the right way. But even these lucky few hone their skills when mentored and with practice.

That's correct, Hank Haney and I worked 2 years together on Golf and Pool before he devoted his time to Tiger Woods. There are many similarities between the two games, and one thing is for sure - they are not natural for the human body to play effectively.

"It it feels right, it's probably wrong" is the rule of thumb in golf and pool.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I had heard many many years ago, that your first decision about a shot is right about
64% of the time, so I depart from CJ on that.

What I have seen over 52 years of playing, that even if a player starts out as a 'natural' player, that over the years, they gravitate towards being more of a 'logic' player. I think this happens naturally from experience and from playing tough matches. The natural players aren't hard to spot, they usually decide and shoot their shots very fast. I, myself, have a natural mode, that I first used when I took up the sport at 14, that I can still revert to if needed.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
The reason that this is the case is not that it is the right decision...

I had heard many many years ago, that your first decision about a shot is right about
64% of the time, so I depart from CJ on that.

What I have seen over 52 years of playing, that even if a player starts out as a 'natural' player, that over the years, they gravitate towards being more of a 'logic' player. I think this happens naturally from experience and from playing tough matches. The natural players aren't hard to spot, they usually decide and shoot their shots very fast. I, myself, have a natural mode, that I first used when I took up the sport at 14, that I can still revert to if needed.

The reason that the first shot you choose is usually right is more because changing your mind is rarely an all the way thing. When someone changes their mind on what shot they want to shoot, half the time, they're still thinking about the first thing they wanted to do and they end up doing it half way...

If you can honestly see that the first selection was wrong and fully commit to the second choice it will ALWAYS be the better shot.

Indecision is a pool players second worst enemy.

Jaden