Annual National Amateur Championships

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Pool, is it a sporting event, or a gambling event? The Collegiate championships are NOT a gambling event, the Jr. Nationals are NOT a gambling event. The World Championships are NOT considered one either. Be real cool to see a USA National Amateur Championship Event Once a year, with a really Impressive trophy for the winners, like the Olympics so to speak. You all should of seen the trophies I received during HS by winning Many indoor short track events, I still have em. The Colorado State Games are also an example of that, tho utilizing many disciplines. If they were NOT playing for money ONLY for this event, I think we could and would start to see a really neat event. One things for sure, the hard core pool players would be NO Where to be found, that's For $ure, and a given. Tho the local rooms might get an increase of play at night. your thoughts????

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds a bit like APA's U.S. Amateur Tournament, which is held annually.

It sounds great to play for a trophy but figuring out a way to justify the expense of attending such a tournament is the tough part for most amateur players.

I think the APA gets it close with their tourney but the numbers don't quite crunch (at least for me). I know a lot of guys that play in the qualifiers just for the experience, knowing ahead of time that if they win -- they WILL NOT attend the Championship.

The closest thing we have to a real amateur championship I think is the annual BCA tourney.

Island Drive

Silver Member
I think each state could easily have ONE event Once a year, and the funds to be given to the winning team for expenses, if the payout is more then do a paydown, why does it have to be a league???? Just get a TD pay em and split the winnings up. First place gets the dough rey me and Entry, second gets their entry /Memory fee back. :thumbup:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
How about the winner of the Amateur Championship gets a free ride to the US Open 9-Ball?

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about the winner of the Amateur Championship gets a free ride to the US Open 9-Ball?

I agree with that in a way but by the time u add up your expenses to go play in the U.S. Amateur and win it then its not really a free ride considering what you've already spent. But like I said I agree in a way, kind of a pro and con way to look at it I guess. :confused:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I agree with that in a way but by the time u add up your expenses to go play in the U.S. Amateur and win it then its not really a free ride considering what you've already spent. But like I said I agree in a way, kind of a pro and con way to look at it I guess. :confused:

If a US Amatuer 10-Ball Championship title (for example) had the same status as the US Amateur Golf Championship, no one would think twice about their expenses.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds a bit like APA's U.S. Amateur Tournament, which is held annually.

It sounds great to play for a trophy but figuring out a way to justify the expense of attending such a tournament is the tough part for most amateur players.

I think the APA gets it close with their tourney but the numbers don't quite crunch (at least for me). I know a lot of guys that play in the qualifiers just for the experience, knowing ahead of time that if they win -- they WILL NOT attend the Championship.

The closest thing we have to a real amateur championship I think is the annual BCA tourney.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be a member of the BCAPL to participate in their nationals? APA's Amateur National Championship is open to all.

Island Drive

Silver Member

Oh yeah, one of the feeder systems, highlighting Our annual national amateur champion that would be a natural fit, the PGA does it all the time.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you confirm status as an amateur? I am no Pro, but I have won some $$$ over the years.....that, and there are VERY few people who make a living at pool here in the U.S., so to call someone a professional is tough has well. Or how about a player who said they are a Pro, but never made any $$$ :)

I'm all for playing in any event tho myself. I would play my heart out for a title.

G.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I'm so confused. How is this not like the current US Amateur National Championship?

I have no idea. The US Amateur National Championship is run by the APA, right? When I get mail from the APA it goes straight to the recycle bin so I don't know what the winner for that gets. (I also assumed you had to be in the APA to play.)

Island Drive

Silver Member
Pros won't play, there'$ no pay out, they rarely if ever, compete when money is not involved, can't blame em. If it becomes a problem, utilize BCAPL guidelines. You could easily get a pool room to give free time and utilize Very Small entry fees to create the funs to send One player and give em a State Amateur Champion Trophy. and if that person attends, then have the room owner hold funds or??? and give em to second place if 1st can't go. All state winners will then play in the Finals. The food and beverage and all that goes along with holding and event of this type is good for business, and since its amateur, families and kids could be in attendance. This goodwill of free table time, and people spending money and having meals at the location will make it a Win Win for all.

Just some random thoughts. If a venue like this was to take place, it could easily be done w/o ever hauling or moving tables around. Then each year there could or would be rooms that could bid Like the Jr. Nationals....Bid on who and which room holds the Finals. Or???? whatever works best.

George

Balance is everything
Silver Member
I'm not totally getting the point of this thread. There is already a U.S. Amateur Championship and no, you don't have to be in the APA to play in it. There are already a couple dozen regional qualifiers all over the country. What is it exactly that you are looking for?

P.S. The trophies are really impressive

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I'm guessing that like me, the OP didn't realized that the APA's national amateur championship was open to non-APA members.

I'm not totally getting the point of this thread. There is already a U.S. Amateur Championship and no, you don't have to be in the APA to play in it. There are already a couple dozen regional qualifiers all over the country. What is it exactly that you are looking for?

P.S. The trophies are really impressive

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing that like me, the OP didn't realized that the APA's national amateur championship was open to non-APA members.

ok the guy on the left from the ghost busters show gets the 7......the guy in the middle can have the break.....and peewee herman on the right gets the 6....

lets play!

:)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no idea. The US Amateur National Championship is run by the APA, right? When I get mail from the APA it goes straight to the recycle bin so I don't know what the winner for that gets. (I also assumed you had to be in the APA to play.)

So far, the existing US Amateur nationals has everything mentioned including the aforementioned big cool trophy to an entry into the US Open.

Great idea everyone!

Freddie <~~~ and now for the posters that complain that it's a tournament for nothing

Island Drive

Silver Member
So far, the existing US Amateur nationals has everything mentioned including the aforementioned big cool trophy to an entry into the US Open.

Great idea everyone!

Freddie <~~~ and now for the posters that complain that it's a tournament for nothing

So for the National event, each State is allowed One entrant? Are you talking about the collegiate event?