Soft, Medium, or Hard... That is the question

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a Blackheart Soft for $25. My cue repairman thinks it could be me and not the tip.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I have used Layered Hercules medium hard for years, and never had a problem. Never have to shape it after an initial shaping, lasts for years and years.

But if I was going to try a new tip, I would get the Ultraskin layered medium tip. Lots of good praise for his tips the last few years.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like to use a lot of english (no doubt too much, lol) and play mostly One Pocket, so I play a lot of slow-spin type shots. I used to use a medium tip but had a lot of problems with miscue, seeing that I was constantly trying to strike the edge of the cue ball. So I switched to a soft tip and almost stopped miscuing completely -- very rare now unless i totally neglect chalk.

Now I play people who shoot much closer to the middle of the cue ball for nearly all shots -- they utilize speed and angle with their closer to the middle cuing to get the cue ball where they want and it certainly works for them. Positively harder tips work for them, and they hold up longer.

I used use Moori soft, then Kamui and now something else -- but all layered soft tips. I have them cut down to about 2/3 height because to me they are too spongey if they are full height. They last about a year for me at about 15 hours a week I would say.

So if your style is around the middle of the cue ball and your games are more like 9-ball -- go harder. If it is out at the edges and you like to use a lot of soft spin, go softer.

imho

XmarathonX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a Blackheart Soft for $25. My cue repairman thinks it could be me and not the tip.

He is wise. Not saying you are one of them but many people keep "upgrading" thinking it must be the equipment & never try to fix the real problem with their game, themselves.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Regarding CB action due to tip: I get as much action from the Samarsa tip on my breakcue as I get from my UltraSkin Soft on my player (yes, I sometimes finish out a rack with my breakcue just because it's fun to do it). There's nothing I can do with my player (soft) that I can't do with my breakcue (hard).

I just happen to like the feel/feedback from the Soft tip better. It's fun to play the rack with my breakcue but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all preference, as many have already said.
I've used a ton of tips and I'm currently using Tiger Sniper tips. They seem to hold shape and hold chalk well.

In the past I've used:

Playing Tips
Elkmaster
Le Pro
Triangle
5th Avenue
Royal Oak
Black Diamond
Wizard
Triumph
Various MilkDuds
Tiger Everest
Tiger Sniper
Tiger Emerald
Kamui Black
Talisman Pro
Black King

Break Tips
Samsara
White Diamond
Phenolic
G10

I prefer the Tiger Sniper tips, but I've always fell back on a pressed Elkmaster. I'd like to try to Tiger Onyx tips.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all preference, as many have already said.
I've used a ton of tips and I'm currently using Tiger Sniper tips. They seem to hold shape and hold chalk well.

In the past I've used:

Playing Tips
Elkmaster
Le Pro
Triangle
5th Avenue
Royal Oak
Black Diamond
Wizard
Triumph
Various MilkDuds
Tiger Everest
Tiger Sniper
Tiger Emerald
Kamui Black
Talisman Pro
Black King

Break Tips
Samsara
White Diamond
Phenolic
G10

I prefer the Tiger Sniper tips, but I've always fell back on a pressed Elkmaster. I'd like to try to Tiger Onyx tips.

I had a Sniper put on my shaft.First day I used it after 2 hours or so I mis cued so many times I took out my pocket knife and cut it off and left on the pool room floor.
Took out my other shaft with an Ultra Skin soft on it and the mis cues stopped.
Go figure.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Sniper put on my shaft.First day I used it after 2 hours or so I mis cued so many times I took out my pocket knife and cut it off and left on the pool room floor.
Took out my other shaft with an Ultra Skin soft on it and the mis cues stopped.
Go figure.

Tiger Snipers are medium hard tips. The only explanation I have is that you were hitting too far off center or you didn't maintain the tip. It will glaze over, just like a Kamui.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiger Snipers are medium hard tips. The only explanation I have is that you were hitting too far off center or you didn't maintain the tip. It will glaze over, just like a Kamui.

Been using the onyx for over a year. On second one....they last me a year. It will NOT glaze on you. At least mine hasn't. I do not pick it. Holds chalk super well. If you like a sniper, you will love onyx. I hate the price tag though.

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I just purchased another tip. An Ultrathin Soft for $12.50.

So now it's a choice between Blackheart Soft or Ultrathin Soft. If those don't make me happy, then I'm going to try an Elkmaster.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Well, I just purchased another tip. An Ultrathin Soft for $12.50.

So now it's a choice between Blackheart Soft or Ultrathin Soft. If those don't make me happy, then I'm going to try an Elkmaster.

I'll will throw the Ki-Tech Soft against any soft on the market as far as performance...... And I will spot them the 5 in durability.......

Chris

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll will throw the Ki-Tech Soft against any soft on the market as far as performance...... And I will spot them the 5 in durability.......

Chris

I have no experience with your tips.But I have used quite a few UltraSkin soft tips and I think they are hard to beat at any price.
So I will make you a deal send me 1 of your soft tips and when I am ready for a new tip i will have it put on and play with it for awhile.
After I'm totally comfortable playing with it and can give an honest comparison I will post it on the forum.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Kind of odd seeing a couple guys on here playing a game of just the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I have no experience with your tips.But I have used quite a few UltraSkin soft tips and I think they are hard to beat at any price.
So I will make you a deal send me 1 of your soft tips and when I am ready for a new tip i will have it put on and play with it for awhile.
After I'm totally comfortable playing with it and can give an honest comparison I will post it on the forum.

PM me your address and I'll get one sent out.... If you were closer we could measure the COR and Hardness changes as you play with it...

I'll try and get one of Tom's softs and I will run it thru the tests.... Who knows I may be suprised... My tester works on new tips or installed tips either way so I can document the life cycle......

Chris

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
PM me your address and I'll get one sent out.... If you were closer we could measure the COR and Hardness changes as you play with it...

I'll try and get one of Tom's softs and I will run it thru the tests.... Who knows I may be suprised... My tester works on new tips or installed tips either way so I can document the life cycle......

Chris

Whoa, LOL, to start I wasn't talking tips, I'll take the 5 and play for money.

Next, I have spent a lifetime doing ASTM tests. Any tests done are not going to be what the player feels or is able to do with a tip. This will depend on the player, ferrule, shaft etc.

I was a little frustrated that a person would post with the name of my tip on it that they would give me or any tip the 5. Some will like the tips I offer, some will not, and thats okay. I don't have the ability or want to be the only cue tip on every cue in the world.

I have seen for the over 50 years I have been playing the game that many players will just keep taking some sand paper, then in todays word different tip tools and wear the tip down, way of life.

I think even with all done a person recieves the money they paid to have one of my tips installed. I would not want to create like a forever tip and with the natural sanding habit I doubt anyone could. Having said that I WANT the player to build a relationship with they're cue repair person and have them put a new tip on like once or twice a year, that is the cue repair persons bread and butter, if each tip lasteted 5 to 10 years it would take money out of the cue repair persons pocket.

When we get to the point my tip is the only one to use because my gadget dictates so rather than the players feel and wanted action, I am done, but that aint gonna happen, LOL.

Always remember, the game will never be about my robot can play better than your robot, its about people and what they like.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Chris

PM sent
Thanks
I have 2 shafts so I can compare the two tips back to back at the same time.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Whoa, LOL, to start I wasn't talking tips, I'll take the 5 and play for money.

Next, I have spent a lifetime doing ASTM tests. Any tests done are not going to be what the player feels or is able to do with a tip. This will depend on the player, ferrule, shaft etc.

I was a little frustrated that a person would post with the name of my tip on it that they would give me or any tip the 5. Some will like the tips I offer, some will not, and thats okay. I don't have the ability or want to be the only cue tip on every cue in the world.

I have seen for the over 50 years I have been playing the game that many players will just keep taking some sand paper, then in todays word different tip tools and wear the tip down, way of life.

I think even with all done a person recieves the money they paid to have one of my tips installed. I would not want to create like a forever tip and with the natural sanding habit I doubt anyone could. Having said that I WANT the player to build a relationship with they're cue repair person and have them put a new tip on like once or twice a year, that is the cue repair persons bread and butter, if each tip lasteted 5 to 10 years it would take money out of the cue repair persons pocket.

When we get to the point my tip is the only one to use because my gadget dictates so rather than the players feel and wanted action, I am done, but that aint gonna happen, LOL.

Always remember, the game will never be about my robot can play better than your robot, its about people and what they like.

Sorry for the afront Tom... While I didn't mention the ultraskins directly I did indeed link the other post which mentions both your tip and the Black Hearts... Was not intending to call ANY tip maker out was issuing a general statement....

Gotta love the internet... No way to hear tone or inflection in the written word... Will scrap the life cycle plan since I jumped the shark on that one with your reply.. As far as getting the 5 gambling you are only gonna get that spot if we are playing for beers and I figure on it being a LONNNNNNG set LOL....

Chris