A Story Thread

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please anyone else feel free to chime in with any remotely pool related story! Just something to fill in time while the halls are closed.

I played every night for ten years or a little longer, missing very few. Most nights were the same old, same old, I don't remember them in particular any more than I remember every particular shift I worked on my day job.

Most I remember have been told so sorry, this is probably familiar ground for members that have been here awhile.

For starters, in my main playing days, I drank beer. Lots of beer! On this particular day I had gotten an early start, probably at a seafood boil or barbecue, other activities I was right fond of. Now I was banging balls around looking for a customer and using the house cue I was playing with as a third leg to maintain balance. The room I was playing in was a bit odd, the front doors were locked, a side door opened into a topless joint, and there was another side door opposite that one that opened into the parking lot. Seemed like an odd set up to me but probably a fire code thing about that side door being open. Anyway, the head of the table I was playing on was by that side door and right alongside that door was a rack to put house cues in.

A guy came up wanting to play, one of the gigolos whose primary income was sponging off a dancing girl. We started off at the usual three or five dollars, an unwritten law in bars. No matter if both knew we would be playing for a lot more, the dance started cheap unless you knew each other well. He cleverly kept upping the bet, I was carrying my usually thick Kansas City bankroll.

I didn't mind him raising the bet, wanted him to. However the sneer and contempt he openly exhibited were a bit much. Normally when the bet got right I would see the tiniest change in the other player's manner and the race was on! However, this time something else seemed like it would be more fun. I was still putting away a beer every game or two on a seven foot bar table so I should have been blind drunk. Instead I was scheming drunk. I drug my feet a little now and then on raising the bet and he let me have close to a hundred and a half, not bad when most of the people in those blue collar bars were grossing fifty a week and bringing home forty dollars for a week's hard work!

When we got to fifty a game I finally saw that little more focus in his manner. I probably could have beaten him, but I wanted him to be remembering how he had been a fool giving away all of that money. I walked over to him and put a hand on his shoulder, "I have had too much to drink, you have had too much to drink,(never mind that he wasn't drinking!) I have already taken too much of your money. Lets do this another night!"

Before he could think of a response to me being too nice to be hustled I slapped my cue in the rack and stepped out the door in a well planned pair of moves!

Those would be hustlers were natural prey and I had more than one three-quarter naked girl come to me in that room complaining that they were working their asses off and I was taking all of their money! Oh well darling, perhaps you are hooked up with the wrong guy. Good fun when me and the world were both a lot younger. Bumped into Mike Massey in one of those places back then, bumped into him again twenty or twenty-five years later and I would swear he remembered me! We didn't like each other the first time we met, second time it was either a long memory on his part or instant dislike!

Hu

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please anyone else feel free to chime in with any remotely pool related story! Just something to fill in time while the halls are closed.

I played every night for ten years or a little longer, missing very few. Most nights were the same old, same old, I don't remember them in particular any more than I remember every particular shift I worked on my day job.

Most I remember have been told so sorry, this is probably familiar ground for members that have been here awhile.

For starters, in my main playing days, I drank beer. Lots of beer! On this particular day I had gotten an early start, probably at a seafood boil or barbecue, other activities I was right fond of. Now I was banging balls around looking for a customer and using the house cue I was playing with as a third leg to maintain balance. The room I was playing in was a bit odd, the front doors were locked, a side door opened into a topless joint, and there was another side door opposite that one that opened into the parking lot. Seemed like an odd set up to me but probably a fire code thing about that side door being open. Anyway, the head of the table I was playing on was by that side door and right alongside that door was a rack to put house cues in.

A guy came up wanting to play, one of the gigolos whose primary income was sponging off a dancing girl. We started off at the usual three or five dollars, an unwritten law in bars. No matter if both knew we would be playing for a lot more, the dance started cheap unless you knew each other well. He cleverly kept upping the bet, I was carrying my usually thick Kansas City bankroll.

I didn't mind him raising the bet, wanted him to. However the sneer and contempt he openly exhibited were a bit much. Normally when the bet got right I would see the tiniest change in the other player's manner and the race was on! However, this time something else seemed like it would be more fun. I was still putting away a beer every game or two on a seven foot bar table so I should have been blind drunk. Instead I was scheming drunk. I drug my feet a little now and then on raising the bet and he let me have close to a hundred and a half, not bad when most of the people in those blue collar bars were grossing fifty a week and bringing home forty dollars for a week's hard work!

When we got to fifty a game I finally saw that little more focus in his manner. I probably could have beaten him, but I wanted him to be remembering how he had been a fool giving away all of that money. I walked over to him and put a hand on his shoulder, "I have had too much to drink, you have had too much to drink,(never mind that he wasn't drinking!) I have already taken too much of your money. Lets do this another night!"

Before he could think of a response to me being too nice to be hustled I slapped my cue in the rack and stepped out the door in a well planned pair of moves!

Those would be hustlers were natural prey and I had more than one three-quarter naked girl come to me in that room complaining that they were working their asses off and I was taking all of their money! Oh well darling, perhaps you are hooked up with the wrong guy. Good fun when me and the world were both a lot younger. Bumped into Mike Massey in one of those places back then, bumped into him again twenty or twenty-five years later and I would swear he remembered me! We didn't like each other the first time we met, second time it was either a long memory on his part or instant dislike!

Hu

speaking of dancing, hu, sounds like that night you were doing the foxtrot:thumbup:
great story-

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like Shooting Arts, I drink beer, lots of beer, when I am at the local bar and pool hall. Unfortunately, this one did not have 3/4 naked girls doing .............

Anyway, I normally drink 64-96 oz in an evening before going home for a night cap .....

I was walking in the bar with my pool cue in its bag over my shoulder and as I passed the 1/2 way point of the bar, a person in his mid-50s turns on the rotating bar seat and ask: "Do you want to play for $50".

My head rotated towards the gentleman slowly as my mind does its mental calculation: "how much money do I have in my wallet?---pause--about $200!, and do I feel like $50 without warm up?". Now, normally, I rarely gamble, but this night I felt it and decided to give it a go. I stopped in my tracks, rotated my head toward him, and aid: "Yes." About this time my first beer showed up--I have trained the bar staff well over 14 years.....

I unpacked my cues and equipment, as he racked, I broke and ran 6. He returned to run 6 and missed, giving me an easy out.

He then said, handing me $50, "how's about double or nothing?" to which I agreed. At that point what did I have to loose. The bar crowd. which normally does not bother watching much pool, started watching in earnest.

He racked again, I broke, ran only 3, giving him a great opportunity on me. He ran 6, again, and missed, giving me 2 tricky shots to get control over the table before running out. He handed me another $50 and almost collapsed onto the bar seat moaning about not having enough to even enjoy a beer. So, I bought him a beer ($4.00) and sent him on his way.

A couple weeks later I found out that one of the locals, whom I beat 7.5 times out of 10 games, has another bar he frequented, and had sent their best player to "take me down". I laughed as the final pieces of the strange night fell into place.

All in all, that 20 minutes payed up my beer fund for a week of drinking.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Like Shooting Arts, I drink beer, lots of beer, when I am at the local bar and pool hall. Unfortunately, this one did not have 3/4 naked girls doing .............

Anyway, I normally drink 64-96 oz in an evening before going home for a night cap .....

I was walking in the bar with my pool cue in its bag over my shoulder and as I passed the 1/2 way point of the bar, a person in his mid-50s turns on the rotating bar seat and ask: "Do you want to play for $50".

My head rotated towards the gentleman slowly as my mind does its mental calculation: "how much money do I have in my wallet?---pause--about $200!, and do I feel like $50 without warm up?". Now, normally, I rarely gamble, but this night I felt it and decided to give it a go. I stopped in my tracks, rotated my head toward him, and aid: "Yes." About this time my first beer showed up--I have trained the bar staff well over 14 years.....

I unpacked my cues and equipment, as he racked, I broke and ran 6. He returned to run 6 and missed, giving me an easy out.

He then said, handing me $50, "how's about double or nothing?" to which I agreed. At that point what did I have to loose. The bar crowd. which normally does not bother watching much pool, started watching in earnest.

He racked again, I broke, ran only 3, giving him a great opportunity on me. He ran 6, again, and missed, giving me 2 tricky shots to get control over the table before running out. He handed me another $50 and almost collapsed onto the bar seat moaning about not having enough to even enjoy a beer. So, I bought him a beer ($4.00) and sent him on his way.

A couple weeks later I found out that one of the locals, whom I beat 7.5 times out of 10 games, has another bar he frequented, and had sent their best player to "take me down". I laughed as the final pieces of the strange night fell into place.

All in all, that 20 minutes payed up my beer fund for a week of drinking.

Shouldn't he have handed you a Franklin after the second game? (not that I know anything about gambling...)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How I became a Kim Davenport fan.....

I have told this story years ago, so excuse me if you remember it. I watched a YouTube video of Kim Davenport and Mark Tadd this week and it reminded me of this story.

I was living in Springfield, Missouri and the local hero was Danny Harriman. He played incredible, and I got to see some great pool players...including Dave Matlock and others.....

But anyway, Kim Davenport was in town and he and Danny were going to play an exhibition. If seemed that every pool player in town was squeezed in to see "our guy" Danny put it on Kim.

Kim came in and was such a great ambassador for pool. Shortly after he started talking everyone loved him. He asked if anyone would like to "Challenge" match before the exhibition started. All of a sudden, a 12-13 year old boy jumped up and said he would really like to challenge.

Kim wasn't in on the joke but almost everyone in the crowd started smiling, grinning and a few giggles. As Kim racked up the 9 ball rack, the youngster broke and ran out, Kim grins and racks up again. The youngster breaks and runs out again. The crowd now watches Kim shake his head, racks it up again, and the youngster breaks again. Kim knows he has been had. Probably most will not know him, but this "youngster" was Andy Quinn.

I haven't seen Andy in years, but at that time he played like a seasoned pro.

Kim joked that, "Does everyone in Springfield play like this kid?" Of course all the pool players yelled, "Hell yes!"

Kim and Danny had a great exhibition, while I was already a fan of Danny Harriman, that night I became a fan of Kim Davenport.

Ken

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like others i have told this story before but here goes.

One fiday afternoon when getting off work a coworker asks for a ride home and i obliged. During the drive he mentions his girlfriend is out of town and has his car .. I mentioned my girlfriend is out of town also. He says why dont we get cleaned up and go have a few beers tonight.

I am thinking that sounds good and tell him yea but that i dont know any places to go having never went out anywhere since i moved to west oalm beach. He says he has a favorite bar he always goes to down in boca raton and i said that sounds good.

Well we get down there and its a classic redneck bar ...which is the type i feel e ight at home in. 2 tables and a juke box and a smal dance floor.. Several guys are standing and sitting around one table and the other is taken by 2 guys and their ladies so we sit at the bar

My friend immediately strikes ul a conversation with a bar fly so i turn my attention to the tabke with all the guys at it. I watch for a while and the same guy is winning every game and the others are just taking their turns losing to him. After a couple beers and just sitting there watching i have the urge to put my quarters up and walk up to set some quarters behind a line of others. As i start to set them down one g uy says we are playing for 10 a game.

The nit in me says pick your quarters back up cause that guy is in dead stroe and tou aint played in 8or 9 months..so i go sit back at the bar. My buddy is still wrapped up taliking to that bar fly so i sit there chugging a couple more beers and say the hell with it...its only 10 dollars. So i set some quarters on the table and when its my turn sure enough i lose to the guy who has had it all night so far. So i slap some more quarters down and dont have to wait as long ss before since a few dropped out.

This time i win .he immediately puts some quarters uo after paying me. I go thro ugh several guys and it his turn again. I win again. Same scenario with a couple more dropping out until its just me and him. As usual this guy wants to raise it to 20 a game and i say ok. He wins one every now and then but i am way ahead. Next thing i kow he slams his cue down on the table...looks at me...looks at my buddy at the bar and hollers out ....hey joe....i thought we were friends . what the hell are you doing bringing this damn hustler in here. As he was yelling and looking at my buddy i was moseying incospicuasly as i could towards the door. The guy then yells i want both of yall outa my bar and dont ever come back. Joe says...he aint no hustler. He works with me. The guy yells. I onow a hustler when i see one and you better get your ass outa here and picks uo the cue off the table. Joe jumps off the barstool and makez a beeline for the door and came out right behind me.

On the way to joes house he asks if i am a hustler. I said no that i hadnt pick uo a cue in 8or 9 months. He said ...you must be damn good cause no one ever beats him .. Joe said. Damn. Just got barred fom a bar i have been going to for years and i didnt do anything lol.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
great stories, keep them coming please!

All stories aren't for high cash stakes, like Tampa Tubby playing for a "Bob". Some of the most memorable times are from when the dollars weren't huge.

Thanks for the stories so far, hopefully lots more to come about games large and small!

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
another old story

Another repeat from years ago. I was working in a dry parish(county). Twenty miles each way to get a beer and I had a major funds problem after paying all of my bills before leaving town. I later found my ratholed hundred dollar bill in my wallet in a hidden corner but I didn't know that when I was living on a quarter a day for over a week!

Anyway, my check came in the mail from my home office, a local who had became a fast friend helped me cash it so I was flush with cash and dry when I headed for home a hundred and twenty miles away Friday evening. Twenty miles to the first beer and I had downed a six pack in the next twenty miles and was looking for another beer stop. I remembered a honky-tonk a few miles down a side highway and decided what the hell, it is Friday evening, worth taking a look.

When I got there unattached girls were few but there was a very dilapidated old nine footer. Falling apart, broken cushions, cloth from a prior decade with the usual rips and stains, what the hell I hadn't hit balls in a week. A young man wanted to play. Large, fine figure of a man. Also obviously a rock star in this place, everybody crowded around to see us play. He would have been outclassed on a decent table but he knew every roll and bounce of that old table. After an hour I gave it up and hit the road. The crowd had grown to thirty or more and I have to admit taking a very uncommon beating while the entire place was laughing and cheering on my opponent was getting under my skin a little.

Next week, same story. Drank a lot of beer quick, took another shot at the rock star, lost again! For the next few days I plotted to only buy a couple beers for the road and tackle the young gun sober. I gave it some thought though, he had beaten me twice. Was it really fair to keep coming at him until I beat him then disappear? Didn't seem quite fair so I decided to accept my losses and move on.

I took down some road players in the same circumstances. They had to come on my home court to play me and I was a big believer in home field advantage. Few left happy. The place they came to find me had lights almost as bright from the side as from overhead. As a result the balls appeared to be very slightly to the side of where they really were. Didn't matter on most shots, bit someone in the butt on full length banks and other really tough shots. It had taken me weeks to figure out the deal but once I did it was an easy adjustment to make.

Hu

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All stories aren't for high cash stakes, l

Hu

About 30 years ago I decided to go to the local tavern and hit some balls. When I get there I put my quarters on the table and sit at the bar, striking up a conversation with the owner.

My turn comes up, I feed the table and rack the balls. My opponent comes up to me after he breaks and says he has a bet with the two ladies over there. The bet is if he wins, they both are supposed to go home with him. Basically he's asking me to lose the game. I really don't care so agree to the terms.

I end up on the 8ball and luckily its a tough shot, so when I miss it won't look suspicious. Well I hit the ball so bad, the 8ball drops in the called pocket. The ladies were delighted but he seemed a little miffed. Didn't believe I didn't mean to make the ball. He leaves and I play a few more games then proceed to close the place down while talking to the owner.

At close time its just me and the owner. Looking back I suppose he checks things out before leaving. Maybe he takes the bank home, I don't know but he notices someone sitting in their car right across the street. He looks real close and says "hey, its the guy you beat. Lets go see WTH he wants"

We walk out there and immediately the owner gets into an argument with the guy. The owner reaches into the car and up comes a gun. We back off of course and now we're trying to get his plates, which he realizes. He backs up .. goes forward .. then zooms off. We got the numbers.

About 3:30AM I get a call from from the police who want me down at HQ to pick this guy out of a lineup. The owner of course got the same call and of course we pick the guy out.

One Officer took me and another took the owner up to their desks for questioning. It wasn't till then I noticed the ID Badge. Internal Affairs.

Never heard anything more of the incident.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
BR after dark

About 30 years ago I decided to go to the local tavern and hit some balls. When I get there I put my quarters on the table and sit at the bar, striking up a conversation with the owner.

My turn comes up, I feed the table and rack the balls. My opponent comes up to me after he breaks and says he has a bet with the two ladies over there. The bet is if he wins, they both are supposed to go home with him. Basically he's asking me to lose the game. I really don't care so agree to the terms.

I end up on the 8ball and luckily its a tough shot, so when I miss it won't look suspicious. Well I hit the ball so bad, the 8ball drops in the called pocket. The ladies were delighted but he seemed a little miffed. Didn't believe I didn't mean to make the ball. He leaves and I play a few more games then proceed to close the place down while talking to the owner.

At close time its just me and the owner. Looking back I suppose he checks things out before leaving. Maybe he takes the bank home, I don't know but he notices someone sitting in their car right across the street. He looks real close and says "hey, its the guy you beat. Lets go see WTH he wants"

We walk out there and immediately the owner gets into an argument with the guy. The owner reaches into the car and up comes a gun. We back off of course and now we're trying to get his plates, which he realizes. He backs up .. goes forward .. then zooms off. We got the numbers.

About 3:30AM I get a call from from the police who want me down at HQ to pick this guy out of a lineup. The owner of course got the same call and of course we pick the guy out.

One Officer took me and another took the owner up to their desks for questioning. It wasn't till then I noticed the ID Badge. Internal Affairs.

Never heard anything more of the incident.

Definitely an interesting story! I had a few brushes with the man. One was an undercover cop that tried to claim my cue stick I had bought new. He was a big old boy and when the fight started the cue was between us. It shattered. Lost my cue, and I had to stay out of Baton Rouge after dark for years. There were about a dozen or so BR cops hoping to mess up my world!

Had a war going with another big city department, apparently a detective was in business with a chop shop owner. I had a discussion with the chop shop owner nose to nose. Kinda interesting, I was sure he was packing heat, I was toting my favorite .45. I explained to him how the cow ate the cabbage. We were in a very overgrown ten acre lot across from the chop shop, if I lost he wouldn't even have to bother hiding the body. Deep in indian country. He was angry, I wasn't backing down an inch so we did the nose to nose thing for fifteen minutes or so. If his hands twitched I was going for the .45. I was shooting competition at the time and I was confident that win lose or draw I could put a bunch of holes in him or one big one dead center!

After that, we had a vendetta going with the big city boys. One sided but we were stalked in our homes and such. I kicked it up to state police after months of this crap. The state police Lt. I was talking to warned me to be careful, if those people were who I thought they were they were certain to be armed. I pointed out there were two Master Class shooters in the house, one slept with an AR by his bed another with a 12 gauge by their bed. Body armor doesn't do much if you are hit in the head and the body armor of the time was worthless against rifles.

Pretty sure the trooper relayed the info about the class of shooters they were pissing with and the guns, the stalking stopped!

Oh yeah, the truck that was stolen and stripped had a pool cue in it at the time, got to keep the stories remotely about pool I reckon.

Hu

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing some 9ball in a place called Crazy Horse in Carbondale IL. Fats walks in and announced he dropped and can't find his solid gold toothpick with a diamond. "It's somewhere out on the sidewalk or maybe the parking lot. Can anyone help me find it?"

Looking back and his relationship with Titanic, he very likely had a bet. "Bet you $100 I can get at least 10 people run up those steps and search for a toothpick within 3 minutes."

He never left to help look and none of the real players helped either.
You figure it out.

Wonder if Island Drive was in on it. Can't remember if he was there but likely. I didn't know but he would have known Fats was coming in.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was traveling all over the country on my motorcycle in the late 1970s ,going from town to town , stopping in dive bars and winning all the cash, and usually leaving for the night with the hottest girl in the place.
It was going great for the first couple of weeks, and then I went to a town in Kentucky, almost everyone was related and you know those Kentucky boys have no quit in them so I had won dang near every dollar in a 5 county area.
My last night there they had run out of money and as I was leaving with the towns sweetheart girl, I heard some murmuring behind me as I got to the door.
A couple of guys had started to follow us out, so I told the young lady to wait inside while I took care of this {I was always pretty handy with my fists and feet and they weren't any bigger than me.
We got outside, and then I noticed there were 3 more already waiting for us, and now they had me trapped in the alley.
I guess I should have been carrying a gun, but I had never needed one before , but this time , out came the knives , they weren't playing around.

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I was traveling all over the country on my motorcycle in the late 1970s ,going from town to town , stopping in dive bars and winning all the cash, and usually leaving for the night with the hottest girl in the place.
It was going great for the first couple of weeks, and then I went to a town in Kentucky, almost everyone was related and you know those Kentucky boys have no quit in them so I had won dang near every dollar in a 5 county area.
My last night there they had run out of money and as I was leaving with the towns sweetheart girl, I heard some murmuring behind me as I got to the door.
A couple of guys had started to follow us out, so I told the young lady to wait inside while I took care of this {I was always pretty handy with my fists and feet and they weren't any bigger than me.
We got outside, and then I noticed there were 3 more already waiting for us, and now they had me trapped in the alley.
I guess I should have been carrying a gun, but I had never needed one before , but this time , out came the knives , they weren't playing around.

Man you can't stop now:mad:
Did you get killed?

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
reminds me of Blue Sky!

I was playing some 9ball in a place called Crazy Horse in Carbondale IL. Fats walks in and announced he dropped and can't find his solid gold toothpick with a diamond. "It's somewhere out on the sidewalk or maybe the parking lot. Can anyone help me find it?"

Looking back and his relationship with Titanic, he very likely had a bet. "Bet you $100 I can get at least 10 people run up those steps and search for a toothpick within 3 minutes."

He never left to help look and none of the real players helped either.
You figure it out.

Wonder if Island Drive was in on it. Can't remember if he was there but likely. I didn't know but he would have known Fats was coming in.

Yeah, almost certainly a bet involved with Fats, or he needed the hall emptied out! Does remind me, I worked with a guy I called Blue Sky. He would get near a group of people then crane his head up and lock onto a piece of sky staring intently. Soon somebody in the group would notice and look, then have the whole group staring at a piece of blue sky trying to see what my coworker had been looking at. By then he had eased off and was pointing out all the idiots staring at a piece of blue sky!

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Definitely an interesting story! I had a few brushes with the man. One was an undercover cop that tried to claim my cue stick I had bought new. He was a big old boy and when the fight started the cue was between us. It shattered. Lost my cue, and I had to stay out of Baton Rouge after dark for years. There were about a dozen or so BR cops hoping to mess up my world!

Had a war going with another big city department, apparently a detective was in business with a chop shop owner. I had a discussion with the chop shop owner nose to nose. Kinda interesting, I was sure he was packing heat, I was toting my favorite .45. I explained to him how the cow ate the cabbage. We were in a very overgrown ten acre lot across from the chop shop, if I lost he wouldn't even have to bother hiding the body. Deep in indian country. He was angry, I wasn't backing down an inch so we did the nose to nose thing for fifteen minutes or so. If his hands twitched I was going for the .45. I was shooting competition at the time and I was confident that win lose or draw I could put a bunch of holes in him or one big one dead center!

After that, we had a vendetta going with the big city boys. One sided but we were stalked in our homes and such. I kicked it up to state police after months of this crap. The state police Lt. I was talking to warned me to be careful, if those people were who I thought they were they were certain to be armed. I pointed out there were two Master Class shooters in the house, one slept with an AR by his bed another with a 12 gauge by their bed. Body armor doesn't do much if you are hit in the head and the body armor of the time was worthless against rifles.

Pretty sure the trooper relayed the info about the class of shooters they were pissing with and the guns, the stalking stopped!

Oh yeah, the truck that was stolen and stripped had a pool cue in it at the time, got to keep the stories remotely about pool I reckon.

Hu

I will steal this story from my book and share it for those who never read it. The was my own "brush with the law" and it was a memorable one. I was ref'ing at one of Fred Whalen's tourneys in the early 70's when it occurred. Someone brought a snooker hustler from Canada to the tournament and was trying to get him some action with one of the pool champions. No one seemed too interested in playing the guy except for Jimmy Moore, who was a jam up snooker player himself. They matched up a game playing with six red balls for $50 a game, fairly big stakes at the time.

After the tournament was over for the evening a crowd of us followed them to a poolroom on Alvarado St. that had two snooker tables. They were the 10' American style table, which may have been to Moore's advantage. I watched a couple of games and then some young guy comes over to me and asks me if I was a referee at the tournament. I told him yes I was. Then he asked me if I play pool. That brought a little smile to my face. I said I play a little. He now asked if I wanted to play some 9-Ball for five a game. I did want to watch the snooker match but duty called and I told him I would try him some.

We got the pool table closest to where the big match was going and agreed to pay off every two games. It went back and forth for a few games and then I started winning. Every two games he was stuffing a ten dollar bill in the corner pocket. I would break to start the next game and then grab the bill out of the pocket. I was doing okay, maybe forty ahead when all of a sudden there was a loud siren-like noise at the entrance to the poolroom. A bunch of guys came rushing in, some in plain clothes and several in police uniforms. It was a Bust!

One plain clothes guy had a small megaphone and told everyone in the crowd not to move. They surrounded the snooker table and began the process of arresting Jimmy and the other guy. I was just standing by my table watching this all take place. Suddenly one of the plain clothes cops said, "Those two guys were gambling too" and pointed at our table. Shit! Now a couple of cops comes over to our table and the plain clothes guy reaches in the corner pocket and pulls out a ten dollar bill and declares, "This is evidence!" Double shit!

Now it's our turn to get arrested and cuffed. I'm scared and quiet as mouse but my opponent is getting mouthy with the cops. He is mad they are picking on us and handcuffing us as well. He puts up a little resistance and one burly cop throws him against the wall face first and gives him a bloody nose. This is early 70's L.A. where anything goes with the cops. I already knew that. The dumb kid quiets down and we are taken outside and put in a police car. I tell him to please be quiet and he gives me a hard time too. After a few minutes two cops get in the front seat, where there is no divider between them and us. The stupid kid starts complaining again and the same cop turns around and slaps him HARD across the face, "I told you to shut up!" I'm very scared now because I'm sitting right next to the kid.

Off we go to the West Hollywood sheriff's station. We are taken inside and told to sit on a long wood bench, right next to Moore and the other guy, who are already there. We are all cuffed to a bar under the bench. I sit next to Jimmy who does not seem too concerned. I ask him what's going to happen. He tells me they will book us in and have us empty our pockets and probably go into a holding cell. That's exactly what happened. They take everything we have on us and put it into large manila envelopes. I forgot one thing, the dumb ass kid can't seem to shut up and he has one more encounter with the wall in the police station. Now his nose is pouring blood and I'm terrified!

Now three of us are escorted to a large cell with other arrestees inside. There are benches all along the wall and we are left there. At least we are no longer handcuffed. Once again I quiz Jimmy. He says that we probably will have a chance to post bail and be let go tonight. How much I ask? He says for a misdemeanor it shouldn't be more than fifty bucks. The other kid who gave the cops a hard time was taken somewhere else. We are left to cool our heels and wait. Sure enough after maybe an hour or so, a cop comes in and tells the three of us that if we have money to post bail we will be released. Jimmy now asks him how much the bail is. The cop says $52. I will never forget that amount. Right away I thought of the number of cards in a deck.

Jimmy asks me how much money they took from me and I tell him I had over $100. He says you'll be fine then. They take the Canadian guy out first and a few minutes later come back for Jimmy. He tells me he will wait outside for me. Now it's my turn and they take me to the same window where we had emptied our pockets earlier, and they hand the sealed envelope back to me. The guy tells me he needs $52 to release me. I was worried all my money was gone, but when I opened the envelope nothing was missing. I gave him the money and he handed me a ticket. It was a Notice To Appear in court.

I was released and told where to exit the building. Sure enough outside there is Jimmy with a big smile on his face. He looks at me and says, "That wasn't so bad, was it?" If only he knew how scared I was. I showed him the Notice and asked him what I should do. Jimmy tells me that if I fail to appear in court my bail will be forfeited and I will have a gambling arrest on my record. And what if I appear I ask him. He say you don't want to do that. The judge might make things worse for you!

We took a cab back to the hotel where he was staying and then the cabbie took me to my apartment. Jimmy gave the taxi driver a twenty dollar bill and told him to take me home. On the ride he said he had won $200 already and the cops only kept $50 of it for evidence, just like they had kept $10 from me. That gambling violation was on my police record for ten years until it was finally removed. Live and learn! :wink:

One postscript - I saw that same kid in a poolroom maybe six months later and I asked him what happened to him. He told me they threw him in the drunk tank and kept him there all weekend (it happened on a Friday night). He said it was crowded and guys were throwing up, and it stunk in there. Karma is a MF'er! By the way, he didn't ask me to play again. :D

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
old time police

Off topic on my own thread but aside from drinking and partying all night many nights I was fond of night fishing out of a canoe.

The bars and nightclubs on the strip had to close for an hour to clean up under a new ordnance. They would lock the doors for an hour, customers were generally welcome to stay inside.

I had been fishing all night, had a canoe strapped to the roof of my car, but I had long hair and a beard in about 70-71 and it was the hour that the bars were supposed to close and some real drunks headed back across the river to Baton Rouge between five and six AM. I'm crossing the bridge minding my own business when the lights go on behind me. I pulled into a stockyard that had an all night cafe attached. A state trooper dragged me out the car as I opened my door, threw me across my hood, and cracked me across the ribs with a night stick!

As it happened, I was sober as a judge, soberer than most. I looked up and maybe fifty feet away three couples were looking at what was happening. I came off my hood cussing. "You are a couple of dumb son of a beetches! Wasn't the canoe a clue? I have been fishing all night. I"m going home and sleep a few hours. After that I'll decide if I'm going visit your captain at troop A. I chewed ass for about five minutes, not often I was able to give state troopers that treatment but they had seen the witnesses too.(grin) When I got done they meekly got in their car and went away.

As a general rule I remember the manners I was taught as a child when dealing with any police officer, yes sir, no sir, thank you for the warning officer it won't happen again. I was usually alone and you don't get stupid with people that are holding all of the cards. Some states, maybe everywhere, it is against the law to verbally resist arrest! As in ask them not to arrest you!

OK, got to tell another cop story, it involves a friend that was a biker and played his share of pool so I guess I'm OK. Bill was living in the hill country of West Texas where there are miles and miles of miles and miles. He lived about thirty miles the other side of Resume Speed and was ready to be home. He tops a hill about eighty-five or ninety at the exact moment a trooper tops it from the other direction at about the same speed. Bill could be a jackass but he knew this wasn't the time. He topped another little hill before he could get stopped and pulled onto the shoulder. He got out of his car and politely waited for the police officer's return.

A minute or two later the trooper comes from the other direction, balls to the wall, wide open, 120 plus, maybe a generous plus. The trooper sees Bill sitting there and hits his brakes hard! The cop gets sideways, fishtails, cuts all kinds of didoes but manages to stay on four wheels for a few hundred yards until he got stopped.

He drives slowly back to where Bill is leaning on his car waiting. As the trooper steps out of his car Bill couldn't help himself, "You know if you didn't drive so damned fast that wouldn't happen."

Some cops have a sense of humor. This wasn't one of them.

Hu

djoverboard

Registered
first story

I like to say I don't have a memory with out a pool table having been around the game since I was standing on a stool in my grandparents basement to throw balls around he table. Later using the same stool with a house cue cut in half. Graduating to beating old men out of quarters in my great grandmother's bar room. Back in the mid/late 90's into early 2000's I was houseman at the Hippodrome Billiard Academy, Buffalo NY. During that time I became a pretty solid player. Working in a poolroom, visiting other pool rooms and playing a lot of local tournaments during this era I had a good idea where i sat on the totem pole. some were above the middle but a long way from the top. With that knowledge not too many people could sneak up on me and vice versa at least in pool halls among known players. Bar rooms however.... well there I could be unknown. I have a few stories for this thread from that time when I was playing at a speed where I could "hustle" given the right opportunity. one such opportunity happened after an evening of skiing in Ellicottville with a friend of mine who had become a pretty strong player in his ow right. he would come to the hall a couple nights a week and we would only practice on the snooker table, playing games or if any other friends were there playing golf. When he and I would go out to find a game or just happen upon one like this night I always told him unless I see something different you are the best player in the room. I would stall and make shots or miss shots that would end up giving us the advantage in doubles matches. so to the story. Walk into the bar after a few hours on the slopes. immediately we both look to the pool table. What do we see but something i always loved seeing during this era. Two guys playing with their own two piece pool cues. I always worked with the assumption if i couldn't beat you with the house stick in a bar room then either the cues had no tips on them or well you were just better than me. my saying was a guy in a barroom with his own cue is just looking to lose money ! My friend walks over and puts a quarter on the table before we even order a beer. The one guy playing turns and says we are playing $20 a game. our eyes probably lit up most bar games were maybe $5 or $10 dollars sometimes just for beers. My friend says ok, and we step up to the bar and order a couple beers. The two guys finish their game and my friend is up. He puts his quarters in and says "$20 a game right" the guy who won presumably the best stick in the room says "well we will play for $10" My friend proceeds to soundly beat him. This guy sees that he might not be outmatched but it will be a tough row to hoe to win consistently. Really he was probably outmatched but you never want them to truly believe that ..... My friend asks if he wants to go again and he says why don't we try doubles. Now here is where i will give you a little more background about myself. I come with a bit of a built in hustle. I walk with a significant limp and my fingers don't wok quite right from a spinal cord injury suffered in my teens. So this guy and his buddy are thinking let's get the doubles going this guy with the limp can't be very good. easy pickins for them . We agree to $10 a man. we are beating them game after game with me shooting opposite handed and stalling strategically missing leaving them safe etc we win $60 or $70 dollars. They were done and I could see it so I think I let a little of my true game show in the last game or two. Also In those last two games after a turn at the table a local who had been watching turns to me and quietly says you are pretty good huh ? I say yeah I'm pretty good but these guys are real good. I don't know if he gave them the heads up, they just quit or I showed too much speed, but he clearly had enough knowledge to see me for what I was. Those two quit and and we finished our beers and drove back home with a free evening of skiing, some free drinks and a couple extra dollars

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Some gamblers become super aware...survival instincts.
Clyde Childress impressed me that way.

In my wanderings, I ended up in Lexington looking for snooker action on a 5x10.
Someone called Clyde, just lived a bit out of town....he put me on the phone.
As soon as he heard my voice he said “Yeah, you’re that brown haired boy I saw in Detroit...
...I had never spoken a word to him there...but he nailed me in a few words.

He says “We aint gonna play no snooker, you can play some one-hole on my 4x8 in my
garage.....or you can go to the old room downtown and get $100 action with the Sargent
of Detectives...he plays my speed.

So I got into action with Sarge....got him stuck $800, and the owner says he’s closing up..
...the sarge freaked on him...but the guy said he wasn’t staying open for nobody.
Sarge said he was never gonna play there again...and it was the only snooker table.

Soooo.....driving back to the motel...got a green Dodge van with Canuck plates...
...cop car beeps his horn and flashes his lights....I pull over...he keeps going...
....third time it happened I realize...they were giving me a victory escort....
....they must’ve loved the sarge getting his ass whomped....:grin: