What single thing (theory,suggestion,equipment) has turned your game around?

Texas Prez

Hook'em...Enough Said
Silver Member
TAKING A BREAK!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, if you play a lot, just set the cue down for a couple of weeks. This could help ammend bad habits that you may have developed which led to a streak of bad pool. I would keep watching pool and thinking about it (like visualization, "what would you do here", etc.) but just taking a break sometimes is the best medicine; not always, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new cue, instructions, etc.

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
Concentrating my focus. Instead of using the ghost ball, I focus on where the two balls are physically going to make contact. I don't think about how hard I'm going to hit the cue ball, I'm thinking about how I want the cue ball to move after I've hit the object ball. Someone on the forum said "Aim small, miss small." That's my mantra now.

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first started, my teacher was very strict when it came to position play. On other words, he really pushed me to get 'correct' and as perfect as I possibly could on every shot. So, I had a habit of trying to force some of my position play in situations where I should have 'laid back' and settled for a tougher shot and trusted my pocketing abilities. When I learned to trust my pocketing and to quit taking extra risk in order to get perfect on every shot, I stopped hooking myself so often, reduced my scratches, and generally increased my 'out' rate.
dave

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
Tokyo-dave said:
When I first started, my teacher was very strict when it came to position play. On other words, he really pushed me to get 'correct' and as perfect as I possibly could on every shot. So, I had a habit of trying to force some of my position play in situations where I should have 'laid back' and settled for a tougher shot and trusted my pocketing abilities. When I learned to trust my pocketing and to quit taking extra risk in order to get perfect on every shot, I stopped hooking myself so often, reduced my scratches, and generally increased my 'out' rate.
dave

i feel the same way. Ive played better since ive stopped trying to force position, just take the tough shot.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Ever since I quit being as competitive and started enjoying the game as a hobby, I seem to play a lot better. I enjoy losing as much as winning, as I learn just as much. Pool is now what it's supposed to be. Enjoyable.

Texas Prez

Hook'em...Enough Said
Silver Member
also two really good movie quotes:

aim small miss small - The Patriot

slow is smooth smooth is fast - Shooter

funny how aiming techniques can be used across sports

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
fan-tum said:
What single thing (theory,suggestion,equipment) has turned your game around?
----------------------------------------------------------------

Personally,concentrating on striking whitey in the center.

Two books: 99 Critical Shots by Ray "Cool Cat" Martin and
Byrne's Advance Techniques in Pool & Billiards by Robert Byrne.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Really focusing on every shot. Having a clear idea of not only the target but of what I'm trying to do with the cue ball. I have a tendency to get "vague" sometimes on a shot in the middle of a run and it always bites me. So I'm trying to really make sure I don't shoot without a clear focus of what I'm trying to accomplish, target and position-wise, on every shot.

miplayerstour

Quiet participant
Silver Member
Finally learning that missing happens to everyone and not hanging onto a ad shot longer than it takes to walk away from the shot. Once I accepted that everyone misses and loses and gets bad position at times, my attitude alone got my game on a better track. Total mental game and if that isnt strong you can talk yourself out of winning!

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Jimmy Reid's DVD's and a lesson from a BCA instructor. So it really wasn't one thing but each helped the other.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Shoot with the small leather end.

Actually it was a shot set up rhythm from a video I saw from Mike Sigel. His set up rhythm was great. I added one step to it and it made it even better for me. I've noticed that when you are getting negative returns in just about anything you should return to the basics.

asiasdad

Banned
focusing on the round items on the pool table instead
of the round items in the front of her shirt or the
back of her jeans.