The story of how you found your cue...

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's hear some stories about how you got that first, best, or most important cue you were chasing! (ie. flying all around the US to find that magic BB!)

I'm sure you heavy hitter collectors must have some good ones!!! (C'mon Tikkler, Will, Fatboy, please share!!!) :thumbup:

Here's mine:

When I just started playing pool, and was dying for a cuetec <insert gigling here>. Seriously, I would be up at night trying to figure out how to save up for the plain gray stained model. Anyways, guy I met playing pool a few months later we started becoming fast friends. He knew a guy at a place called "Billiards and Bagels", and the guy kept talking about Jensens.

Well, we got Mike on the phone and started talking about cues, and he offered to build us both cues at a great price if we paid together. I wasn't sure since it was more money, and I reallllly wanted the cuetec and didn't know a thing about custom cues. Well, I ordered my Jensen to the same color specs as the cuetec <lol>, and he ordered a tulipwood 4 point. Couple months later we started worrying as the cues hadn't arrived, and we started worrying about this Jensen guy...well lo and behold a few days later our tube arrives, and two of the most beautiful cues pop out. I went from craving a cuetec to never wanting to play with anything but a Jensen after that. Mike, and June have been friends now for many years!

Small addition to the story. I had custom made joint protectors made to match my cue by Mike. He cursed me out for convincing him to make them as they were so intricate and detailed. Real work of art when they arrived. Week later, someone went into my case when I wasn't looking and stole them. Never been so mad :angry:

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
cues

Somewhere in the early eighties, maybe 83 or 84 a friend I had known for many years, literally from when he was a child, managed a game room for the same man that owned Greenway, the well known pool hall in Baton Rouge. The distributer of the new fangled video games that were the big money makers threw in a new Meucci when they bought a video machine. It took awhile but I got my hands on a brand new Meucci for the grand lump sum of $50.00. The shaft on that thing was a noodle, no dot best I recall and I think it was made from soft maple not the more common hard maple used now.

The cue drove me crazy for months because it played so differently than the house cues I usually played with and many a time I slung it aside mid-session or mid tournament and grabbed a house cue off the wall. Finally got used to it and it was an effective weapon after that.

Another favorite was a 12oz one piece snooker cue. I paid $10 for it and $12 for a milk dud put on it or maybe the other way around. As you can tell I am into high dollar cues.

My next cue will certainly be a favorite, I'm whittling it myself.

Hu

TimmyB80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My story is not very interesting, but here it is none the less...

Began playing in league about 6 months ago, didn't have a stick so I was using teammates' for the first couple of weeks. One of the players told me to check out Seyberts online (this isn't a plug by any means) and I did... they had comparable prices to other sites, so I ended up picking one from there. I haven't been dealing in the game long enough to know a good stick from great, compared to a broomstick, but I knew I was gonna spend in the low 200s. I got a Lucasi Hybrid, b/c I was easily sold on the rubber grips (which really are no better or worse than any other IMO) and the UniLock joint (which I do like). People sometimes ask about it b/c it's a little different... and it I've had better players shoot it (who would probably better be able to tell me if it's worth the price) and they seem to like it. It's not made in America (con), but for the price I think it's pretty good quality!

Gonna eventually pick up another stick (to break) but probably won't spend over a hundred... when I do get a more expensive piece, I dunno what's gonna be...

edit: being the semi-responsible consumer, I did check reviews on the stick... and they were all better than average for the price

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very long story short:

My girlfriend was driving almost 70 miles one way to work everyday.
We moved closer to her job.
I joined a 9-ball team down here and met a man who knew Charlie Bryant.
I met Charlie Bryant and gave him a place to live for a while.
He gave me a cue among other things to repay me.
I still use the cue as my main player.

It's a 2001 Shurtz he got from Gabe Owen. :)

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It makes me sick to think about the cues I have let go, but working in a pool room and being 20 something....you just never look too far forward.

I remember the first time walking into the back of the cue corner. There was a cue case full of Black Boar cues....maybe 20 of them. Pete the owner was selling them at cost, and I put one on layaway for $750.....see I told you it would make me sick! :) they are worth a little more now :sorry:

Not long after that I was working at that same pool room, and I bought and sold a TON of awsome cues like...Phillipe, Mottey, Boars, Richard Blacks, Scruggs, and I cringe every time I think of them....kind of like thinking of your first lost love.

My favorite cue was a plain jane 4 point rosewood into maple Black Boar. That cue was nothing special, but in my hand was electric. I sold it to some guys from south philly billiards that were at our room for a touney....never to be seen again.

let me know if you all ever see it for sale.

G.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's hear some stories about how you got that first, best, or most important cue you were chasing! (ie. flying all around the US to find that magic BB!)

I'm sure you heavy hitter collectors must have some good ones!!! (C'mon Tikkler, Will, Fatboy, please share!!!) :thumbup:

Here's mine:

When I just started playing pool, and was dying for a cuetec <insert gigling here>. Seriously, I would be up at night trying to figure out how to save up for the plain gray stained model. Anyways, guy I met playing pool a few months later we started becoming fast friends. He knew a guy at a place called "Billiards and Bagels", and the guy kept talking about Jensens.

Well, we got Mike on the phone and started talking about cues, and he offered to build us both cues at a great price if we paid together. I wasn't sure since it was more money, and I reallllly wanted the cuetec and didn't know a thing about custom cues. Well, I ordered my Jensen to the same color specs as the cuetec <lol>, and he ordered a tulipwood 4 point. Couple months later we started worrying as the cues hadn't arrived, and we started worrying about this Jensen guy...well lo and behold a few days later our tube arrives, and two of the most beautiful cues pop out. I went from craving a cuetec to never wanting to play with anything but a Jensen after that. Mike, and June have been friends now for many years!

Small addition to the story. I had custom made joint protectors made to match my cue by Mike. He cursed me out for convincing him to make them as they were so intricate and detailed. Real work of art when they arrived. Week later, someone went into my case when I wasn't looking and stole them. Never been so mad :angry:

I've posted this before, but since you asked:

I owned an eight-point Gina when I was a teenager, growing up in SF. ALL the top players on the West Coast, at that time, used a Gina -- a few, played with a TAD. I bought it off a fellow named Dennis, who, in a moment of temporary insanity, sold it to me -- with three shafts and a black alligator Gina case -- for $150. Several years later, I sold it back to him for $250. Ah, youth.

Flash forward 25 years or so and for our tenth anniversary, my wife asked me what I would like for the event (keep in mind that I had a custom made,1 carat emerald cut diamond, with baguettes, in the works for her). I blurted out that I always regretted selling that Gina, so many years ago. She said, "If he's still around making cues, get on the phone and get what you want."

I called Ernie and told him the story and described the cue I had previously owned. He said, yes, he remembered the cue, but didn't make them quite that way any more, and if I wanted one, he'd have to pull out the drawings, spend some time on the computer, and reload the specs. I said great, but with some small changes: I wanted the joint, the inlays, and butt plate in ivory, and a leather wrap. He said no problem and that he would be happy to charge me appropriately. He said eight months.

Six months later he called and said he was sending leather samples for the wrap. He also said that when he looked at the drawings, he saw that he used to make this particular cue with an additional ring below that wrap that I had forgotten to mention. He said he took the liberty of adding it, in ivory, at no additional charge, so that it would look just like the cue I had previously owned.

A week later it was in my hands. It was absolutely flawless -- exactly as I remembered it, but better.

As to it's playing characteristics, I will tell you the following in complete honesty: when I first got it, I wasn't sure I liked the way it hit. It's a firm solid hit, that somehow, sounds soft. Sorry, I can't describe it any other way. In fact, it was only after three or four other players asked to take a few shots with the cue, that I could hear how soft a hit it had (with hard Mooris).

But nonetheless, despite my minor misgivings, I seemed to make a lot of balls with the cue. After just two days, I felt like I was playing a couple of balls better with this cue than I had with any other. I dismissed it as just being "new cue syndrome."

But then, people started telling me (mostly opponents I was relieving of cash) that I had suddenly improved two balls. My practice runs jumped way up. My confidence went way up. After a couple of months I called Ernie and told him how much I loved the cue. And then I asked, "You know, everyone tells me I'm playing two balls better than before with your cue." And he said, "I've built special test equipment and my cues are 97% accurate. The cue alone is worth a ball and a half." Now, you can take that as "a sales story," or hype, or PR or whatever you want. But for my money, you couldn't pull this cue out of my hands with a Mac diesel.

IMO, Ernie is THE greatest living cue maker. And, IMO, you should get one while you can. It will cost you. But it will be worth every single last penny.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

interman

Registered
A few months after I had started playing regularly I knew I had to get a cue of my own. I had recently gotten a decent chunk of change, so I did some reading and realized that I should probably get something with a Predator shaft. So I went to the one pool place they have in my city, and asked to check out their selection of cues. The owner didn't seem to know too much at all about differences in shafts, so he called over the house pro, who helped me out. When there I spotted one cue that sort of made my heart skip a beat. It came with a Z2 shaft, but was more than I wanted to spend. Just for kicks I tried it out, and another one that had a 314-2 shaft. Over the next hour or so I played around with both of them, and told them I needed some time to think it over.

About a week later I said **** it, and went back to the place, wondering if the cue was still there. It was. I bought it, and I've loved it ever since.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Many years ago I was walking along the railroad tracks (something I used to enjoy doing, until I wound up in Amarillo one day, and had to wire home for bus fare) when lo and behold I came upon a dead body. It was a man, maybe fifty years old, nicely dressed (except for the blood stains) and clutching a long, narrow, leather case.
Curiosity got the better of me and I began to pry the case from his cold and riggored fingers. I think I might have broken a couple of them getting it lose.
I inspected the case and noticed there was a cap that snugly fit at one end, secured by nothing more than friction. When I pulled it off it made sort of a "sucking" sound.
What I saw next surprised me. There appeared to be a pool cue nestled inside with two separate shafts. I knew what a pool cue was, of course, but had never seen one in pieces until now. Quite remarkable, I thought.
I removed the larger of the three pieces from the case and examined it closely. It appeared to be made of maple wood, for the most part (I recognized the wood from a pie safe my Mother used to have), with a black thread wrapped around the middle. Actually, it was more like a heavy test fishing line than a thread.
In between the bottom of the black line, and a round piece of rubber screwed into the very end, was a section of dark wood (almost ebony like) in which was afixed, what appeared to be, real mother-of-pearl diamonds. Quite lovely.
Above the black line were four elongated pyramids outlined in various colors, and made of the same dark wood as on the bottom. Mother-of-pearl diamonds were set into these shapes, as well.
Where the shafts joined to the cue bottom a short cylinder of shiney steel was attached along with a protruding screw. I surmised that this was how the shaft and cue bottom attached themselves to each other. A modern marvel if ever I saw one.
Looking a bit closer between two of the four dark triangular pieces I noticed a name had been inked on to the much lighter maple. It read, simply "Balabushka #1". Could this be the (lately deceased) owners name, or had it been inscribed by the person who so skillfully crafted what looked to be an almost new pool cue. I wondered about that for quite some time.
I also found myself somewhat confused as to what I should do with the case and the cue. Should I leave it with the body, the only posession the poor man had apparently had, or should I take it with me, believing that he would have wanted it put to some use. I chose the latter.
Heading back toward town I was struck by the thought that should anyone know anything about pool cues it would logically be someone who was in that particular business. I headed straight for the local poolhall, case and cue in tow.
The poolroom manager, Gus, I think his name was, looked over my newfound prize and declared that in his opinion the cue was of little value and inquired as to what I planned on doing with it. I remarked that I was thirsty from my morning walk along the railroad tracks and if he was agreeable I would swap it for one of his ice cold grape Nehi's. He said that he was.
I couldn't help but smile as I walked out of the poolhall. Ain't nothin' better than an ice cold grape Nehi, I thought.

CueJunkiee

Shoot with the Best TOOLS
Silver Member
some green to you for making me Reminisce on a sunday workday....

here's my little stories...
back in 90 going to college, well they had a pool hall in the student center... and we all know how that made my education... i never went to class...i always played pool but never real good or serious until i started hanging out there.... so i decided i wanted my own cue. I searched and searched but the fanciest most coolest cues i could find around here was a Mali or a Meucci... i had called and chased and looked everywhere for anything and that's all i could find so i ponied up 120 bucks with the included canvas case at some local billiard supply store for that Mali. i was proud as a peacock and carried it everywhere <yeah instead of my books LOL> Then i started talking to a few that would hang out as regular as me and they said if you want a REAL good cue find this Balabushka or Szamboti cue... he showed me his and said he paid 250... well i searched and searched and never found either for sale so i settled for my mali... Boy i wished i had found the Szam or Bushka cue... i had the money and everything.. boy i wish i ran across them......
Well after college i still played, found a local pool hall where a guy worked on my mechanics and game... my wife and i were dating and went there a few days a week... then he closed but i found anouther hall close by named Valley Billiards with some seedy characters hanging around <you know who you are if you know me LOL> then i started hanging around there til 1-2, 4 in the am, met my mentor and best friend Butchie and he had this cue called a SouthWest...... Well i started to learn more about cues and decided i wanted a custom cue... i searched and searched then this guy kept showing up selling fancy cues <way more than i could afford or wanted to pay i thought, like this Barry Szamboti with ivory joint and inlays for like oh my 3k or so, another wish i bought> . He was always "Blowing them out!" So i searched and found a website called billiard warehouse and bought a Chester Krick for 650 i thought looked nice-maple and this wood i never heard of called Paduk. Boy i remember unwrapping that thing and saying to myself oh man what a beauty... i was proud as heck... i was smitten with this thing, and loved the day i brought it to the poolhall for the first time to show everyone...
But then i kept playing and playing and started to know all those seedy characters and the cues they bought sold and traded.... kinda like i did baseball cards when i was a kid really... and i thought, ya know, i want wanna them SouthWest cues and want it bad..... how do i get one.. Well they said-there's this waiting list and blah blah blah 8 years.... blah... Well i didn't want to wait 8 years so i searched the web and found roy at indyQ and looked at his site and found one i liked for sale.. Gave him a call and introduced myself and he gave me a price on an all rings beautiful veneer 3 shafts one of which was a predator <had no idea what a predator was at the time lol> with a leather wrap, so 2100. oh my goodness.,.... so i stared at the site for days and hemmed and hawed how i would pony up that cash for that cue... but i dwindled my savings brought out the credit card and called him ready to pull the trigger...he actually thought i was a different person with last name murphy when i called originally.... a dealer that he gave 'dealer' prices too... but being the proper salesman, still gave me the deal...... i remember waiting at work for that cue to show, to this day i remember carefully pulling apart the package and just staring at this thing for what seemed like an eternity..... my very own SouthWest.. boy i bragged when i got to the pool hall that night!
So that was the start of my addiction, a mali, a CK then a Southwest.... and a poolhall filled with quite the characters who i loved.... buying and selling cues..Telling pool stories.. Then someone said the words AZBilliards dot com... oh CRAP that just killed me when i signed on for the first time...!!!! It felt like i found the Holy Grail and wish i had found it years ago! Sooooooooooooo
Since then, 10 southwests, couple Krick's, met a guy name Gregg Kucharski and got to know him and a few of his cues, and then a TNS and a Schick and Scruggs, Jensen, Jacoby, Jim Lee, met Paul Drexler through Butch and had a few of his, oh so many more cues and makers later, like 150 cues bought and sold later........ most dealt right here through AZ....
But out of all them, the mali, CK and Southwest and now my fanelli still are most special to me.... my Buddy Butchie passed away last year
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=136592
and my Mali is with him <didn't want him to go away without a cue to play with up there> I got his butterfly Fanelli in my Avitar, my CK still with me and my Southwest is still the best player i own and i play with it all the time....... those cues i will never part with.......... even as a CueJunkiee....
thanks for all those cue makers out there and AZ billiards and all my Friends i have met along the way.... they have been a Huge part of my life for years now....

now back to work... only 4 more hours til i get to play pool...
LOL

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a very Forrest Gump-esque story there, Trampy. It gave me a few giggles. One thing's been on my mind for months now, though. What in the hell is grape Nehi?? :confused:

Many years ago I was walking along the railroad tracks (something I used to enjoy doing, until I wound up in Amarillo one day, and had to wire home for bus fare) when lo and behold I came upon a dead body. It was a man, maybe fifty years old, nicely dressed (except for the blood stains) and clutching a long, narrow, leather case.
Curiosity got the better of me and I began to pry the case from his cold and riggored fingers. I think I might have broken a couple of them getting it lose.
I inspected the case and noticed there was a cap that snugly fit at one end, secured by nothing more than friction. When I pulled it off it made sort of a "sucking" sound.
What I saw next surprised me. There appeared to be a pool cue nestled inside with two separate shafts. I knew what a pool cue was, of course, but had never seen one in pieces until now. Quite remarkable, I thought.
I removed the larger of the three pieces from the case and examined it closely. It appeared to be made of maple wood, for the most part (I recognized the wood from a pie safe my Mother used to have), with a black thread wrapped around the middle. Actually, it was more like a heavy test fishing line than a thread.
In between the bottom of the black line, and a round piece of rubber screwed into the very end, was a section of dark wood (almost ebony like) in which was afixed, what appeared to be, real mother-of-pearl diamonds. Quite lovely.
Above the black line were four elongated pyramids outlined in various colors, and made of the same dark wood as on the bottom. Mother-of-pearl diamonds were set into these shapes, as well.
Where the shafts joined to the cue bottom a short cylinder of shiney steel was attached along with a protruding screw. I surmised that this was how the shaft and cue bottom attached themselves to each other. A modern marvel if ever I saw one.
Looking a bit closer between two of the four dark triangular pieces I noticed a name had been inked on to the much lighter maple. It read, simply "Balabushka #1". Could this be the (lately deceased) owners name, or had it been inscribed by the person who so skillfully crafted what looked to be an almost new pool cue. I wondered about that for quite some time.
I also found myself somewhat confused as to what I should do with the case and the cue. Should I leave it with the body, the only posession the poor man had apparently had, or should I take it with me, believing that he would have wanted it put to some use. I chose the latter.
Heading back toward town I was struck by the thought that should anyone know anything about pool cues it would logically be someone who was in that particular business. I headed straight for the local poolhall, case and cue in tow.
The poolroom manager, Gus, I think his name was, looked over my newfound prize and declared that in his opinion the cue was of little value and inquired as to what I planned on doing with it. I remarked that I was thirsty from my morning walk along the railroad tracks and if he was agreeable I would swap it for one of his ice cold grape Nehi's. He said that he was.
I couldn't help but smile as I walked out of the poolhall. Ain't nothin' better than an ice cold grape Nehi, I thought.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
That's a very Forrest Gump-esque story there, Trampy. It gave me a few giggles. One thing's been on my mind for months now, though. What in the hell is grape Nehi?? :confused:

It's soda pop in (if memory serves) a 16 ounce glass bottle. There was no canned pop when I was a kid. Around my parts, Nehi was bottled by the Coca Cola bottling company and came in orange, cherry, cola, and grape flavors. Grape was my favorite, and then came orange.
The very best, of course, was a brand called Grapette. It was in a smaller bottle (12 ounce) and was heaven on earth.
And now, my good friend, you know the rest of the story. :)

P.S. When I was a teenager, times didn't get much better than being with my buddies at the poolhall. I'd buy a bottle (glass) of ice cold Pepsi-Cola (that's it's real name), take a couple of big hits off of it, then pour a half a bag of Planter's salted peanuts down the neck of the bottle. Gooood!

Last edited:

jridpath

Registered
It's soda pop in (if memory serves) a 16 ounce glass bottle. There was no canned pop when I was a kid. Around my parts, Nehi was bottled by the Coca Cola bottling company and came in orange, cherry, cola, and grape flavors. Grape was my favorite, and then came orange.
The very best, of course, was a brand called Grapette. It was in a smaller bottle (12 ounce) and was heaven on earth.

P.S. When I was a teenager, times didn't get much better than being with my buddies at the poolhall. I'd buy a bottle (glass) of ice cold Pepsi-Cola (that's it's real name), take a couple of big hits off of it, then pour a half a bag of Planter's salted peanuts down the neck of the bottle. Gooood!

It was also Radar's favorite drink in M*A*S*H. You can still get it here in 12 oz bottles at least:
http://www.crossroads-market.com/ha...-Grape-Soda-12-oz-bottle/productinfo/HFBE700/

Must be good stuff for that price :eek:

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like lots of people on AZ, I got into cues and starting learning more about them and who the good makers were. I went through 6 cues but never played with one for more than maybe 6 mos. In 2008 I bought a Hagan Cue from another AZer (who acquired it in a garage sale I think). They looked unique and I had wanted to try one out, but they were rare and difficult to find.

The cue was 10-15 years old, badly nicked and dinged, had a non-original buttcap, cracked ferrule and filthy original wrap. Nonetheless, it was straight and hit solid and had a great feel.

A couple months later, I had the cue refinished and a new shaft made. It's been my playing cue since, which it saying something for me. Perhaps my addiction is finally on the wane.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Actually 2 cues. My first custom was a Lebow. I was layed over in Reno on a weekend waiting for a load on monday. It was my birthday and I decided to hit a few pawn shops for a nice watch. I walked into the first one and went over to the jewelry case. There were 2 instroke cases setting behind the case so I asked to see them. The 5x7 that I still carry today had a Sheldon Lebow w/3 shafts and the other 2x4 case had a jump stick in it. I got the whole package for $450 and sold the 2x4 for $150.
I've since sold the Lebow and now have a Madden that Jack built for me from a 60 yr old 1 pc. Hoppe. I had found a 1908 Southern Brunswick table years ago[still have it]. The stick came with a hand full of house cues,balls,racks,brushes and a bunch of old stuff that had been with the table and several owners for years. That stick rolled perfect after 60 years! Jack did a fantastic job on it. This one I'm keeping. Its the nicest cue I've ever owned or shot with.http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=136128&highlight=madden+titelist

Last edited:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I have a few cues. Seen a cue that I was interested in on new2youcues.com. Talked to Jamie about it and he talked me into a Kikel. Still like looking in the for sale section but have found my cue. Have been using the longest of any cue that I have. Jamie is honest and knows cues.

jridpath

Registered
You are correct, sir. Radar did drink that stuff, didn't he. I believe he'd buy them across the road at Rosie's. Well done, jridpath. :)

Thanks. If it wasn't for MASH I probably would have been clueless too:). I never saw the stuff growing up in Texas, but that was also in the 70's and 80's. If it was around then, it wasn't around here.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
The cue I'm playing with is a sugartree. I had one on order for a long time, finally got tired of waiting and just cancelled the order. I had had one of his sneaky conversions and really wanted a custom. Talked to him about a year after cancelling my initial order, and asked if he had any without a name on it. As luck would have it he said he did. Time went by, and I realized that I didn't need a cue so emailed him and explained my thinking and that if he hadn't started he could cancel that cue as well.

As it turned out, he had started on it and had it done for dayton cue show last year. I didn't have any money, was short notice like a week before the show and I wasn't expecting it. He gave me the cue. I've asked more than once what I owe him for it, but he won't take any money. I did give him some fish fillets, but he was getting those with or without a cue because I like Eric. Have since I first talked to him.

I do owe him some beer, plan is to give him that in Dayton this year. Its worked out nice having this cue, because if I paid for it it would have already of been sold. When I need money I sell my cues, just a fact of life. I've held onto this cue, even when I badly needed the money, and have no plan of selling it.

Eric, thank you again for the cue!!!!

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

RC cola and a Moon Pie wasn't bad back in day either :)

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
RC cola and a Moon Pie wasn't bad back in day

We had Double Cola. It was a 16 oz bottle that most places sold for a dime or less. A real bargain.

Still hard to beat the Moon Pie with any cola.

Last edited: