Has FB And Twitter Taken Most AZB Members?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
It seems like less than half the daily posts are on AZB's than a few year ago. There might be more members, but I bet the post count is way down. Did they all flood the FB and Twitter? JT

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like less than half the daily posts are on AZB's than a few year ago. There might be more members, but I bet the post count is way down. Did they all flood the FB and Twitter? JT

I still read AzBilliards every morning, especially the news page on the main website.

I believe AzBilliards is still the best pool-related website on the Internet, but my interest waned on the forum becuase of the multiple-identitied and banned members posting. The back-and-forth insults and mean-spiritedness was just something I didn't care to read anymore. I'm 60 years old and decided I'd rather surround myself with more positive reading in the autumn of my life. I love pool, will always love pool, and I will always read AzBilliards for the news and pool smut.

I personally find FB less negative as a whole than here on AzBilliards Discussion Forum.

Do not get me wrong. AzBIlliards still has some great reading gems and nuggets of wisdom, which is why I still read it. I hope it continues to flourish and grow. :)

I wouldn't know half as many people on FB if it had not been for me posting on AzBIlliards. In this regard, AzBilliards has introduced me to a lot of pool aficionados, some of which I consider friends today.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suffer the "dts" if I did not access az billiards at least once per day. I do not do facebook or twitter and never intend to do them. I agree that some of the posts sre just over the top and insulting but then there is always a bad apple. I do not know of another source related to pool that even comes close to az! :thumbup:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suffer the "dts" if I did not access az billiards at least once per day. I do not do facebook or twitter and never intend to do them. I agree that some of the posts sre just over the top and insulting but then there is always a bad apple. I do not know of another source related to pool that even comes close to az! :thumbup:

If I had to do it over again, I would have never revealed my identity on AzBilliards. I think my posting experience would have been more enjoyable. I wouldn't have been able to write much about some topics, but at least I would have been shielded somewhat from the mean-spiritedness that does occur on this forum. For some, it's a game, and others, it's the only reason they come to AzBilliards, to cause anger and/or hurt.

I believe AzBilliards is an excellent resource for finding out about pool happenings around the world. The more popular you are, however, the more of a target you are. I have noticed this with some pros who used to post here. After a while, they kind of figure why subject themselves to the negativity that occurs from time to time.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the old Usenet days, there was a Poker forum (RGP) which had a number of top pros who posted. That ended because of the unreal potty mouth @$%@#$^ that went on. I haven't logged into that forum in years and never will again the crap has taken over and it is not worth my time. Believe it or not, this forum is not nearly as bad although I have seen some vindictive posts in the short time I have been here. Clearly people need to be able to voice their opinion but there is a point one should not cross. The moderators have a tough job balancing all facets. I have only been here a short time and I still get value here. As long as that condition exists, I will be here.

Al

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had to do it over again, I would have never revealed my identity on AzBilliards. I think my posting experience would have been more enjoyable. I wouldn't have been able to write much about some topics, but at least I would have been shielded somewhat from the mean-spiritedness that does occur on this forum. For some, it's a game, and others, it's the only reason they come to AzBilliards, to cause anger and/or hurt.

I believe AzBilliards is an excellent resource for finding out about pool happenings around the world. The more popular you are, however, the more of a target you are. I have noticed this with some pros who used to post here. After a while, they kind of figure why subject themselves to the negativity that occurs from time to time.

Just about everyone i know who used their real name on Forums has come to regret it. It's different on FB as you get to choose who interacts with you.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I ask around my local pool scene and found many have AZ accounts but no longer participate because of the quality (or lack of quality) of postings. AZ was a valuable online resource, but nowadays is seen as trashtalk board. Facebook with their real name policy has more accountability.

For those who stayed around, especially John Barton, you have to give them credit for having a thick skin.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't touch facebook with a 60 inch cue!! Like JAM, I still look in every day but post seldom and don't usually stay very long any more. I used to spend hours here but the nonsense from a lot, and I mean a lot, of the newer posters puts me off. The rants, the raving, the arguments, have all increased enormously over the last few, or maybe several years. The unwillingness of posters to use the search feature for already discussed topics and the just plain meanness and ignorance when they do get on a topic they don't agree with is, well..............:( It's just not the same anymore. I spend more time on onepocket.org than I used to.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't touch facebook with a 60 inch cue!! * * * Like JAM, I still look in every day but post seldom and don't usually stay very long any more.

I'm with you, Pushout. I used Facebook about five years ago, but for a few months only and quickly cancelled.
My anonymity is my prized possession, especially here at AZbilliards.
However, anonymity gives me NO right to be argumentative and/or to spew disrespectful rants at others.

I still quite enjoy the reading and posting on AZbilliards.
The only way I (AND YOU) can "maintain control" is:
continue to provide good quality (w/correct spell- and grammar-check), informative, and (hopefully) enlightening posts for others.

It's quite easy....simply don't participate in the trash-talking.
Give them no attention and they will eventually stop or leave.
It's okay to debate, just not okay to be mean.

Truthfully, the ONLY thing that bothers me on AZbilliards is that users don't write well!
I understand if one decided to forego higher education, but come on, people!
At least double-check your work!

I don't care how skilled a player is on the table, if he/she produces bad writing their pool-playing acumen means that much less to me

Two people I truly respect in this area are: Max Eberle and OMGWTF. Both good writers AND got some pool game! Haven't met either one but would love to someday.

P.S.(To JAM) Despite your "unveiling" you do very well on here. I, for one, appreciate your input and perspectives.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hunter.
You and I have been members for approx the same amount of time. I guess that I have seen a few changes within the board.

The Trash Talk has always been here. There will always be multiple tip, chalk and ID cue threads etc.

People talk about their league teams, experiences, bad deals, ask questions.
Try and think back at when you first joined. Maybe the BS has always been here. It may be that over a period of several years, you just have seen and heard it all by now and it is getting somewhat repetitive.

After a while, they kind of figure why subject themselves to the negativity that occurs from time to time.

You mean the Pros that just log in to ask for a hand out. Sell DVDs etc. The ones that don't seem to hang out at any other time to chat or contribute. The ones that feel the pool world owes them a living so they can ask for tourney fees etc, and then disappear when their goal has been met. Those ones?

Maybe the members of AZ have caught on and just won't fade that type of BS any longer. They get tired of getting hit up for donations so they speak their mind when a thread of that nature pops up.

There haven't been that many donation threads in some time around here. Maybe the perpetrators are finally catching on and that is one of the main reasons they no longer log on to AZ.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have to admit, I don't do either and know little about them. How can they compete with an open discussion forum like this that anyone on the planet can find and read? Like I say, I don't know much about FB or twitter, what am I missing?

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I view twitter as mostly for kids that overuse it. FB is too invasive if you don't like your privacy spread all over the net and put on demographic lists. I prefer AZB, especially for billiards talk, etc. I will never use twitter or FB for billiards....ever. If something happened to AZB and the other billiards sites, I would probably just use word of mouth, online web shopping and continue to hit any events within driving distance for my supplies, etc.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Let's take Shane for example. Here's a young man completely on top of the US Pool World. He's completely computer literate, smart phone etc. He is a member here at AZ so he obviously knows about the site.

He almost never posts here.

He quite often posts on Face Book.

I wonder why?

Kevin

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I have to admit, I don't do either and know little about them. How can they compete with an open discussion forum like this that anyone on the planet can find and read? Like I say, I don't know much about FB or twitter, what am I missing?

The difference is that on say facebook or twitter you are generally only having a conversation with your buddies--the people that you specifically chose to list as "friends". The benefit is that you are only dealing with those you choose to. The negative is that you are missing out on everybody else who often have tons of good information and input.

Some people's pages are not just limited to friends and anybody can in fact contribute, but you will only find the conversations on those people's pages if you specifically seek them out. Even if the "conversations" happening on Johnnyt's or macguy's pages for example are open to public comment (and often they are limited only to the the specific "friends" they allow to even see it to begin with or to comment) you would never see them unless you specifically went to johnnyt's or macguy's page. Now all of the conversations happening on the pages of people you specifically have listed as your "friends" are grouped together and show up on one place that you can read on your own page though. Essentially if you have someone listed as a friend (and they have approve your friend request it is not just up to you), all their stuff is easy to see and find. Anybody else's you have to specifically seek it out, and sometimes it is blocked from the public view and you can't see it at all, and even if it is open to public view, sometimes it is blocked from public comment so you cannot add to the conversation even if you can see it. I kind of simplified things a bit so you can get the gist of it.

I do agree with Johnnyt, the post count is way down on AzB from what it was years ago. I think this is mostly simply because there are now other places where lots of pool fans are gathered in one place and can talk, not so much because of anything wrong with AzB. Essentially meaning AzB now has competitors of sorts, when it really didn't have that before. So posts are split between these various entities, not all in one place on AzB (or on RSB before that) as they once were. And there are some who would prefer to discuss things only with their specific circle of friends on say facebook as well so that does probably account for some of the loss too.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

Geeze', I hope not. I don't do either

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Let's take Shane for example. Here's a young man completely on top of the US Pool World. He's completely computer literate, smart phone etc. He is a member here at AZ so he obviously knows about the site.

He almost never posts here.

He quite often posts on Face Book.

I wonder why?

Kevin

Because he doesn't want to hear what anyone else has to say (except for those he specifically chooses on facebook), but wants to make sure everybody hears what he has to say (which is why you would post on AzB instead of facebook to reach the bigger audience). That says more about the person than it does about AzB IMO.

I have no problem with pros or anybody else who wants to limit who they have conversations with, but I do kind of see a small problem with those that want to only use AzB as their sound board for the whole world to hear what they have to say, but not otherwise ever contribute or be willing to hear what anybody else has to say back.

liakos

Banned

I totally agree with you! But this just popped in my head!!! Think about it, maybe it's good for there to be a little negativity against the players. Kinda like politics, some hate Obama, some love him, can't figure out why;) That being said, from a personal stand point, everyone here knows my disliking of Mike dechaine! I've made some "nice" comments about him, but they were all from personal dealings with him! There are also some people that agree with me AND some that disagree! That being said, is it good to get conversation going about it? Even though my opinion will usually be negative about him, others will bring positive opinions!

Point I'm trying to sell here is it good to get the talk going,,, good and bad! Create a world that others will be curious to learn about! I'm not the greatest writer, but I hope you can see my point:) the pool world needs to create some type of "draw"! People need to get behind there players and promote them! I admit my personal issues with MD, but it does make me happy when I see the positive comments about him!

There is talk, emmotions, laughter, whatever!!! I think this may be a way to get people drawn into pool! It may be negative, but look at sports! I'm from RI, so I support the Sox! How many people like them? How many people hate them? After you answer that, look how they both game together during the Boston bombing! See what I'm saying here?

Maybe that's the key?? I don't know:( I'd love to see pool flourish, but that's not gonna happen with the current mentality:(

By the way, I love reading your posts:) I hope I made some sense here and please, everybody reading, try not to comment about me or MD, but rather try understanding my point! It's not about me or MD, it's about all of us! We need to start feeling like a real community and have our good and bad discussions! Life isn't always roses! When you battle life, sickness, hurtfull people,,, it gets tough! I know personally, especially from the sickness end of it! I'm hoping in my life, I can see a great rise in pool, but the reality is I probably won't because of the time needed to change! But who knows, maybe I'll be lucky;)

Reactions: JAM

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think Facebook is a more popular forum for pros to post because there's less negativity.
The people who can see their posts are those who sought them out and friended them.
It's unusual for someone to actively friend you on facebook and then start getting nasty
with you in a debate. It's also dead easy to ignore a post or delete someone
who is pissing you off. Two clicks.

Facebook is also a more quick, casual thing. A forum thread is involved.
Sitting on the forums and responding to all posts is a multi-hour chore. Facebook
you just pop in, sound off, and then go back to your life (which in shane's case
seems to be too busy and fulfilling to waste on forums).