What are things a good 14.1 instructor should be teaching?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mike Sigel says the same thing. He says just make sure you pocket the ball and don't over analyze anything else. Just break 'em up and see what you get.

Pat Fleming tends toward the same philosophy on the break.

Mike and Pat, whose primes coincided, hit the break shot quite differently in their peak form. Pat would often draw off the pack all the way to the back rail and back out on a standard side of the rack break shot. You rarely saw this from Mike.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike and Pat, whose primes coincided, hit the break shot quite differently in their peak form. Pat would often draw off the pack all the way to the back rail and back out on a standard side of the rack break shot. You rarely saw this from Mike.

But would you characterize them both in the school of "hit 'em hard and don't worry about it"? Sigel said that directly and that's the method Pat was teaching as of about 10 years ago.

I know Tony Robles is (or was) much more analytical about where balls were likely to go after the break, and Pat was not so much of that mind as far as I recall.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
But would you characterize them both in the school of "hit 'em hard and don't worry about it"? Sigel said that directly and that's the method Pat was teaching as of about 10 years ago.

I know Tony Robles is (or was) much more analytical about where balls were likely to go after the break, and Pat was not so much of that mind as far as I recall.

Yes, both Mike and Pat are in that school, but Pat took a little more risk than Mike in the way he hit the break shots.

If you've seen Niels Feijen play 14.1, he often hits the break shot the way Pat Fleming used to, and I had a chat with him about it in about 2008. The gist of what Niels said was that he knew he'd scratch a little more off the pack than the next guy, but the easier layouts produced were more than adequate compensation for the slightly added risk.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, both Mike and Pat are in that school, but Pat took a little more risk than Mike in the way he hit the break shots.

If you've seen Niels Feijen play 14.1, he often hits the break shot the way Pat Fleming used to, and I had a chat with him about it in about 2008. The gist of what Niels said was that he knew he'd scratch a little more off the pack than the next guy, but the easier layouts produced were more than adequate compensation for the slightly added risk.

Sounds like Hohmann.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
what i taught

I did not think anyone wanted to respond to fakebook and or the fake news experiment. If any company that has an acronym as their company name I would not trust that news source either. I'm sure the the title will way 60 pounds - but it will be an edited masterpiece that not many will touch. Close enuff' for govermint' wrk i guess.