MVP Veneered FS Blanks FS

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings all. I made a few extra blanks during a recent round of custom orders. I thought I would offer them here before I post them on my website for purchase/reserving. First, some general information that applies to all of my venerered FS blanks.

My taper is .840/1.27" over 29" in case you want to know butt end sizes of any of the pictured blanks.
I cut the forearm returns to .010"-.014", depending on the wood.
The butt/veneer returns are cut to .024"-.025".
The point length at final size is dependent on how much is trimmed off the forearm end, your cue size/taper, and the veneer stack thickness, but you can expect something in the 9.5"-10" range.
I went through 3 iterations of jigs/tooling/methods on the return area. The first two blanks from the top are 2.0 version. The last 3 are 3.0. Some of you may recall some pictures and a video of 1.0 last year. With high res pics, you can see minor improvements that are mostly undetected with the naked eye. Here are the closeups of miters/forearm returns/butt returns. Click on the thumbnails to zoom in for incredibly close up views. I took these quickly, sorry for any out of focus.

http://www.mvpcues.com/cuebuilds/closeups.php

Prices below are USPS priority shipped, and firm.

Please send me an AZ message if you would like to purchase any. First PM first serve. Thanks for looking.

Larger version on my site: http://mvpcues.com/images/BLanksForSale.JPG

BLanksForSales.JPG

From top to bottom:

1. Bilwara into curly hard maple, red flame veneers. The veneers are yellow, orange, deep red, cherry red. .988" joint, 30.9" length. $325.

Bilwara is a wood from India that compares fairly well to east In rosewood. Good weight for a cue, rich look to the wood. This particular piece is a better example of the species. It has two knots at the butt end that can be pictured. I will install a rear core if I keep this for my cues. You should consider doing the same given the knots. This blank moved a little after the build, so points are freshly bumped and turned with new centers.

There is one spot of mineral in the maple peeking out from the side of one of the veneers.

2. Yucatan rosewood into straight grained hard maple, purple flame veneers. The veneers are lime, blue, deep/dark purple, royal purple. .950" joint, 31.3"+ length. $325.

The rosewood is straight grained, no run off, and has some low key beeswing figure that will show up nicely when finished. Good weight, plug and play.

3. Bocote into curly hard maple, blue, fuschia, white, royal purple veneers. It may be worth noting the white veneer is 1/32, not the typical 1/28". .940" joint, 31.6" length. $375.

The curly maple has some slight angle to the grain. Note the white veneer miters in the closeups.

4. Cocobolo into curly maple, veneers are ocean blue, yellow, orange, cherry red, black paper between all locations. This veneer combination, from here forward, shall be known as the Templar veneers. Why? See here. <drools over the sword> .948" joint, 30.8" length. $425.

The coco piece was a little on the short side when this was assembled, and there is a super nice area of figure at the very butt end. So, in my opinion you will want to do all the trimming at the joint end for proportion and figure aesthetics. The veneer tips are still pretty blunt, but it's plenty oversized to take care of this, especially if the blank is trimmed from the front. Other than the figure at the very butt end, coco is straight grained, no run off. Stable, had it for years.

5. Curly hard maple into coco, reversed Templar veneers to keep the red with the maple. .924" joint, 31.6" length.

The maple was a little undersized when the blank was built, so I turned this one down a little extra for inspection. Inspection passed. Note the returns and miters at the returns in the close ups. $450

Freshly built and turned, no age to this blank, the curly maple is not cored. It is straight grained, no run off, but that's a long piece of curly maple...just saying.

For an entertainment only bonus, two Thuya burl FS builds:
http://www.mvpcues.com/cuebuilds/Thuya_Ebony.php
http://www.mvpcues.com/images/DaveThuyaAssembled.JPG

Last edited: