Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Mosconi Cup table playing easy
Page 5 of 6 « First 345 6

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#61)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

12-03-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post
I'm done with you. Keep showing your ass.
You need to turn around and look at your OWN ass buddy, cuz' you've shown a lot of it!

Old
  (#62)
BasementDweller
AzB Silver Member
BasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Pure class...
An old proverb:

An empty cart rattles loudly.

Old
  (#63)
jtarewicz15
Registered
jtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2014, 10:43 AM

Just put new cloth on my table and it plays the same way, even with 4.25" pockets. Would love to know what's the size of the pockets on the diamond they are playing on.

IMO I'd rather see an event like this played on 4" pockets or less.

Old
  (#64)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtarewicz15 View Post
Just put new cloth on my table and it plays the same way, even with 4.25" pockets. Would love to know what's the size of the pockets on the diamond they are playing on.

What for? There have been plenty of misses allready! The only thing you will achieve is more safety play and more misses. There is allready plenty of both (for 9-ball anyway). Personally I loved the Grey/Schmidt match. 6 runouts and ever increasing pressure, what a treat that was. I'd rather have that than 4-ball runs and safes any day.

Old
  (#65)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementDweller View Post
An old proverb:

An empty cart rattles loudly.
I guess my cart is full then, this is what most of the GCs in this country look like before they get replaced, or in this case rebuilt, which adds to why so many tables in this country are just plain junk, and need to be replaced, so that people get the chance to play on pool tables that play right, and don't hold their game back.

Name:  20140830_191438.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  20140830_191503.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  20140830_191930.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  20140830_191942.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  20140830_192112.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  94.7 KB

If all is equal then tables are equal
Old
  (#66)
Palmerfan
AzB Gold Member
Palmerfan has a reputation beyond reputePalmerfan has a reputation beyond reputePalmerfan has a reputation beyond reputePalmerfan has a reputation beyond reputePalmerfan has a reputation beyond reputePalmerfan has a reputation beyond reputePalmerfan has a reputation beyond reputePalmerfan has a reputation beyond reputePalmerfan has a reputation beyond reputePalmerfan has a reputation beyond reputePalmerfan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

If all is equal then tables are equal - 12-03-2014, 10:52 AM

I have played on both Diamonds and GC - I's II's III's and IIII's for many years as I'm sure most players here on AZB have as well.

If you take a 9ft Diamond and have it set up to be "the dead nuts"...perfect in every way by a top mechanic...and then do the same on a Gold Crown..EVERYTHING THE EXACT SAME..rails -rail calibration - pocket size - shim - shelf depth...slate install..leveling..etc, etc there is no "better" table. You may have a personal preference as far as looks or what you grew up on or what you are used to but there is nothing one table can do that the other cannot. One table won't outplay the other..its a fallacy.

Personal preference doesn't make one table "better" than the other. a 4.25 inch pocket cut and shimmed the same way with all the same materials for each table is going to play the exact same..Artemis Rails installed the same way covered the identical way with 860 cloth will play the same, again when everything is done exactly the same setup wise from one table to the next..neither is a superior nor inferior product.

I have played many times at a friend's home in LA who has a GC III that was set up and is maintained by Ernesto/Oscar and it is perfection, as are some of the Diamond tables set up by top mechanics that play off the charts.

With all the wood used on a Diamond the price is much higher and rightfully so, it has been said that the amount of wood used to make a 9 footer can make over 100 cues, not sure if thats true but could be...but one table isn't "better" if they are set up identical to each other in every way..a person may have a definite preference but that's all it is.

Cues:
Palmer Models: I - 5 - B - J - K
Woodworth Custom
70's Viking Level 5
Lucasi Hybrid
Predator SP

Custom "Florida Fred" Quilted Maple Engraved Case

"Oh what do I know? I know that one of us had their own personal stylist and one of us shoplifts their sh$t from Fashion Bug..that's what I know"

Old
  (#67)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

12-03-2014, 10:53 AM

But if more so called pool table mechanics in this country cared about this profession, and more room owners cared about their equipment to keep them in top condition, this is what they'd look like when the customers play on the tables.

Name:  20140923_154105.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  20140923_154112.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  20140923_160332.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  20140923_160403.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  33.8 KB

Old
  (#68)
jtarewicz15
Registered
jtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond reputejtarewicz15 has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
[/COLOR]

What for? There have been plenty of misses allready! The only thing you will achieve is more safety play and more misses. There is allready plenty of both (for 9-ball anyway). Personally I loved the Grey/Schmidt match. 6 runouts and ever increasing pressure, what a treat that was. I'd rather have that than 4-ball runs and safes any day.
Yes there have been some misses, and yes smaller pockets will cause more. It's not that everybody does not want to see run out pool with less safeties. But wouldn't you think tighter pockets would add to the pressure. Imagine winding up on the 50 yd line on a 9ball hill/hill.

Golf has sort of taken this approach. Nobody wants to see a US OPEN when the guy winning on Sunday is -15. They like to see the pros struggle like the average golfer. But that's my opinion.

On another note, I am surprised on how many fewer illegal breaks we've seen this year.

Old
  (#69)
PINKLADY
ICNBB
PINKLADY has a reputation beyond reputePINKLADY has a reputation beyond reputePINKLADY has a reputation beyond reputePINKLADY has a reputation beyond reputePINKLADY has a reputation beyond reputePINKLADY has a reputation beyond reputePINKLADY has a reputation beyond reputePINKLADY has a reputation beyond reputePINKLADY has a reputation beyond reputePINKLADY has a reputation beyond reputePINKLADY has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I dont want them playing on equipment that balls are impossible to make on. I want them playing on equipment similar to what the average player plays on. I want them playing on equipment that will rattle a ball instead of take it in when hit bad.
i thought it was just me, till i read this thread. last Mosconi, we snuck onto the game table as well as the players' table - shhh! KK9 checked both, and the cloth was fast & pockets tight. i've got pics somewhere.

my theory is (Icon), that Barry Hearn wanted a closer race this year, so the pockets are what they are....

there have been numerous shots that NEVER should have dropped (or i would have called "slop!" ), but it's moving the matches along faster & we're not down by 9.

i'm a little sleepy - KVINBRWR
no one's ever called me 'Howard Honey'; i kinda like it.... - STR8
i don't have time to be impatient - SJM
i'm in this thread for the entertainment factor....you are adding to it - RANDALLT6
you talk a lot for someone who is almost always wrong - LWW

pocket size is different than last year
Old
  (#70)
PUTT4DACA$$H
AzB Silver Member
PUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond repute

pocket size is different than last year - 12-03-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Time out,.,.,...

The the reason the balls are being pocketed easier this year is because the table has pro cut pockets @ 4.5 inches standard for Diamonds.

Last year , the table I set up for Mosconi cup in VEGAS had a custom railset with the pockets @ 4.25 inches...making all the difference in the world about which balls go in and which ones don't.....

The MAJOR issue,...when the pockets get smaller USA gets their BUTTS KICKED 11-2 aand Sky sports looses a whole day of LIVE TV coverage... So this year its back to the standard 4.5 inches to see if we can compete!!!!!!

That's the difference
Gordon Graham
Vegas/Seattle
425-275-8255

PS RKC ,...GET SOME FU%&ING WORK DONE!!! & QUIT HIGH JACKING THREADS

Old
  (#71)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Yes there have been some misses, and yes smaller pockets will cause more. It's not that everybody does not want to see run out pool with less safeties. But wouldn't you think tighter pockets would add to the pressure. Imagine winding up on the 50 yd line on a 9ball hill/hill.

Golf has sort of taken this approach. Nobody wants to see a US OPEN when the guy winning on Sunday is -15. They like to see the pros struggle like the average golfer. But that's my opinion.

On another note, I am surprised on how many fewer illegal breaks we've seen this year.
Anything under 4.25 is no fun to play at or watch. They had the TAR table tightened and then it went back to the old size. 4.5 is a great size for any table, maybe your home practice table could be tighter but anything else you start to lose out on playing one side of the pocket vs another and shots down the rail are very tough.

There are no illegal breaks at all this year because from what I can tell there is no more illegal break rule for balls passing the string.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Last edited by hang-the-9; 12-03-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Old
  (#72)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
... On another note, I am surprised on how many fewer illegal breaks we've seen this year.
This year's Mosconi Cup does not have an illegal-break rule (at least x balls reach y line), nor did last year's Cup.

But an illegal-break rule was used in 2012.

Old
  (#73)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

12-03-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUTT4DACA$$H View Post
Time out,.,.,...

The the reason the balls are being pocketed easier this year is because the table has pro cut pockets @ 4.5 inches standard for Diamonds.

Last year , the table I set up for Mosconi cup in VEGAS had a custom railset with the pockets @ 4.25 inches...making all the difference in the world about which balls go in and which ones don't.....

The MAJOR issue,...when the pockets get smaller USA gets their BUTTS KICKED 11-2 aand Sky sports looses a whole day of LIVE TV coverage... So this year its back to the standard 4.5 inches to see if we can compete!!!!!!

That's the difference
Gordon Graham
Vegas/Seattle
425-275-8255

Make it stop raining here, hasn't stopped in 5 days straight now!!!

Old
  (#74)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
This year's Mosconi Cup does not have an illegal-break rule (at least x balls reach y line), nor did last year's Cup.

But an illegal-break rule was used in 2012.
World Cup of pool used that rule also and I think still does. It's probably easy to confuse the two.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#75)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member

12-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUTT4DACA$$H View Post
Time out,.,.,...

That's the difference
Gordon Graham
Vegas/Seattle
425-275-8255

Ah, I did not know they had a different table setup than last year.
Great, more info I should have researched between betting on the euros with a 3 game spot LOL No Mika this year and looser pockets. With that setup 3 games is a very even bet even favoring the US.

Page 5 of 6 « First 345 6

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: