Reload this Page Hohmann loses to Ko because of the Cyclop balls
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 30 12 3412 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Cocoa
AzB Silver Member
Cocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Why would you blame the cue ball?

If the cue ball had roll off issues how do you explain all the other shots made with perfect position? If the ball was "off" you would see it more often in a 1.40 hour match

Old
  (#17)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-05-2017, 09:56 AM

They did have that problem in 2014 with both cue balls and object balls, but the word is that they did something to fix it.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#18)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

04-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post

If the cue ball had roll off issues how do you explain all the other shots made with perfect position? If the ball was "off" you would see it more often in a 1.40 hour match
The shot in the video was a worst-case scenario. It was a very long run to a stop near the cushion length-wise. That gives the ball the most chance to roll off. Also, the amount of roll-off depends on which way the ball is turned. For some positions, the ball won't roll off at all. For stop shots and relatively short position plays, you won't see it, and if the cue ball goes a ways to a cushion but then bounces off only a short way, you won't see much.

I have an off-center ball that shows about the same roll as that cue ball. Sometimes it is hard to get it to misbehave. Even on a lag, if you get a little side spin on the ball it can change whether the "heavy" side is on the left or right.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

04-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Ballr View Post
In this case, had it been the table all the balls would have done it in the same spot.
Cyclop are noted for this. Lots of pros have complained about it.
Random roll-off on a slow rolling cue ball.
I have a Cyclops set with the allegedly "troubled" eyeball cue ball and it plays no different than my red circles, Centennials, or Aramith Pro Tournament set.

Hohmann loses to Ko because of the Cyclop balls
Old
  (#20)
Bca8ball
AzB Silver Member
Bca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond repute

Hohmann loses to Ko because of the Cyclop balls - 04-05-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
They did have that problem in 2014 with both cue balls and object balls, but the word is that they did something to fix it.

I was in Vegas at the BCA National release. The pros opted to use a dotted ball in that event but the amateurs didn't have the option.
Rumor was that the red eye could be felt on the exterior; it looked weird (almost raised) but I couldn't feel anything.
Supposably they were to lower/sink the eye slightly to prevent the raised illusion.

I've personal broke out micrometers and digital weight scales on many occasions re-pairing up ball sets. If you do this, you will see that the cyclop balls run remarkably uniform. It will also show you how much other sets don't (names withheld on purpose, not looking for a ball debate).
You really got to get into high end sets/pricing to match these (albeit ugly) ball.

Using the best available equipment may not improve my game; however, it does eliminate an excuse.

Old
  (#21)
ibuycues
I Love Box Cues
ibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

04-05-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Ballr View Post
Hohmann loses this game and with it possibly the match.

Cue balls totally rolls off path and falls right into the pocket.
They try it after the game but it won't to it then.
Probably rolling too hard.

1:37:47 shot is coming up.

https://youtu.be/0Tv2GEfmDzw?t=1h37m47s

This is from 2014 so some of you may have seen it.
All the valid explanations notwithstanding about what happened, this was
chilly. Wow, what a roll. Although I think he realized he shouldn't have
been near the pocket in the first place. Still.....chilly.

Will Prout

Old
  (#22)
9Ballr
AzB Silver Member
9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute

04-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post

With the Cyclop balls that roll-off is pretty known to be intermittent.
No one can really explain it.

Seems to be related to perfect speed at the perfect rotation axis and then it happens.

----------------------
Shall NOT be infringed. OK?

Old
  (#23)
9Ballr
AzB Silver Member
9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute

04-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post
I have a Cyclops set with the allegedly "troubled" eyeball cue ball and it plays no different than my red circles, Centennials, or Aramith Pro Tournament set.
That's a huge relief.

----------------------

Old
  (#24)
9Ballr
AzB Silver Member

04-05-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuycues View Post
All the valid explanations notwithstanding about what happened, this was
chilly. Wow, what a roll. Although I think he realized he shouldn't have
been near the pocket in the first place. Still.....chilly.

Will Prout

If you look at the initial path of the ball he was headed to the diamond to the left the pocket where it ended.
Would have been a perfect shot.

----------------------

Old
  (#25)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

04-05-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bca8ball View Post
I was in Vegas at the BCA National release. The pros opted to use a dotted ball in that event but the amateurs didn't have the option.
Rumor was that the red eye could be felt on the exterior; it looked weird (almost raised) but I couldn't feel anything.
Supposably they were to lower/sink the eye slightly to prevent the raised illusion.

I've personal broke out micrometers and digital weight scales on many occasions re-pairing up ball sets. If you do this, you will see that the cyclop balls run remarkably uniform. It will also show you how much other sets don't (names withheld on purpose, not looking for a ball debate).
You really got to get into high end sets/pricing to match these (albeit ugly) ball.
I've seen that cue ball dance way too many times on streams.
One in particular was that round robin tournament at the Rio Hotel.

The Centennial balls do not get any complaints.
The Pro Cup and Cyclops, get complaints.

The red dot cue ball has always been the favorite among the pros afaik.
Even Efren told me he liked that opaque cue ball.

Old
  (#26)
maxeypad2007
AzB Silver Member
maxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond repute

04-05-2017, 12:46 PM

How about get behind cyclops and diamond and share their feedback.

Given the incredible quality of the diamond table (which set the standard) and believe me some of the earlier iterations like the tables used at qlympics were absolutely horrible.

Diamond fixed it because that is what they do.

I hear a lot of whining about it but very little science behind it. I personally own a set of both pro cup TV balls and the newest revision (zeus) of the cyclops balls. The cyclops balls are definitely different in some positive and negative ways (they slide more because the ball is harder) but they stay cleaner longer. A little more spring for sure.

The why is what we are missing. Bob's point is right on. I would rather see an engineer review this problem than a somewhat superstitious and biased group of pool players.

The harder surface could certainly cause more glide at low speed and could bring out rolls in the table itself more. On the other hand this is just a difference and not an actual problem with the product itself.

Primary: Predator Sport Cue with 314-2
Break Cue: Predator BK3
Jump cue: Lomax custom and Venom VX
Cases: Whitten custom

Cyclops built a new Cue ball recently
Old
  (#27)
PUTT4DACA$$H
AzB Silver Member
PUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond repute

Cyclops built a new Cue ball recently - 04-05-2017, 02:56 PM

I just bought and received 6 new Cyclops Cue balls and am currently trying them out...they have been available for awhile but I just found out about them...my original Cyclops Cue balls never curved but I witnessed many that did...the new ball has one big red dot similar in size to the dots on the measle..... Cyclops like Diamond is dedicated to continuing to make equipment better and better..,.call Diamond and order the new ball.....

Gordon Graham
Seattle
425-275-8255

Old
  (#28)
mvp
AzB Silver Member
mvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond repute

04-05-2017, 03:13 PM

I've been playing everyday with my cyclops and never had a slight roll off!

Old
  (#29)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

04-05-2017, 03:26 PM

2 sets here and they are perfect.
Although the tournament set colors are irritating. But the traditional set is great.

Old
  (#30)
Agent 99
AzB Silver Member
Agent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond repute

04-05-2017, 03:29 PM

OK -- Now we have a mystery, a riddle if you will ... I enjoy these type of things.

There is only one possible explanation for the inconsistent roll off of the ball in question.

Given, as stated by others in this thread, the ball measures and weighs correctly.

So ... This can only be explained by inconsistent density within the ball it's self.

Apparently the resin used to make the ball was perhaps not mixed completely?

Perhaps the resin and accelerator separate during the curing process?

Perhaps curing accelerated by heat caused the variance in density contained by the ball?

Perhaps the mixture was contaminated by foreign matter?

Perhaps the resin and or accelerator used was defective from the manufacturer?

What I am saying is that internally, within the ball, there are areas that weigh more, due to greater density, compared to areas of equal physical measurement within the sphere.

In short these balls, or at lest some of them, just plain suck.

Good rolls. (pun intended)

Player: Becue Naked
Break: Mezz Pwr Bk Pro
Jump: Lomax

Last edited by Agent 99; 04-05-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 30 12 3412 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: