Mosconi Cup table playing easy

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen quite a few balls fall that should not have fallen on a Diamond, cloth is playing very new for sure. The US would have hung up quite a few balls on cloth a month old the first day with how some of the shots went in.

I can't stand playing on new cloth, especially if it's stretched tight, balls go well over a foot further, spin scrubs off rails instead of catching and missed balls slide in off the points easier. Plus it banks longer although that part I got from Grady talking on commentary about new cloth, she always offers up some good info if you listen to him.

The more I see pros play on this type of equipment the more impressed I am with their position play.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I agree, although the pockets are playing easy, position play and kicks/banks are playing tough, so there is some tradeoff there. Once the cloth gets broken in, the pockets will tighten up but we will probably see more runouts because the rails and cloth will become more predictable.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched 90% of the matches today and the benefits of the friendly pockets helped both teams. The six ball down the rail by Corey which looked like a miss but find it's way in. There was an eight ball that hit above the facing on a corner pocket (I think by euros in the Feijen match) and I was in shock when it fell. That would've bobbled and hung up all day later in tournaments.

Also two kicks, one by Justin Bergman and by Karl Boyes missed their Mark when hit with speed. I assumed that was because of the new rubber and cloth.

Both teams were on receiving end for better and for worse

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I watched 90% of the matches today and the benefits of the friendly pockets helped both teams. The six ball down the rail by Corey which looked like a miss but find it's way in. There was an eight ball that hit above the facing on a corner pocket (I think by euros in the Feijen match) and I was in shock when it fell. That would've bobbled and hung up all day later in tournaments.

Also two kicks, one by Justin Bergman and by Karl Boyes missed their Mark when hit with speed. I assumed that was because of the new rubber and cloth.

Both teams were on receiving end for better and for worse

Are you saying the cushions were changed along with new cloth being installed, or are you just guessing?

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
<snip> ....The six ball down the rail by Corey which looked like a miss but find it's way in. <snip>

From the camera angle, it looked to me that Corey would have clipped the blocking ball with the cue ball had he gone for a clean shot to that corner pocket. To his credit, I think Corey intentionally cheated that pocket by two diamonds, knowing the the new cloth was offering up lots of skid...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
From the camera angle, it looked to me that Corey would have clipped the blocking ball with the cue ball had he gone for a clean shot to that corner pocket. To his credit, I think Corey intentionally cheated that pocket by two diamonds, knowing the the new cloth was offering up lots of skid...

Sorry, but I have to say that "skid" and "slide" are two different things, a skid takes place when 2 balls cling to one another upon contact, causing the second ball to skid, while a ball slides across the cloth, or down the nose of the cushions if only a slight angle as the ball has no friction to grip the ball and create spin or roll on new cloth.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Because of the slide the rails play longer,it's because of the new cloth not rails

I know how a table plays under all circumstances, as I work on them every day, I was trying to clarify if the poster was referring to the cushions being replaced, or did he mean the cloth on the cushions was replaced.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know how a table plays under all circumstances, as I work on them every day, I was trying to clarify if the poster was referring to the cushions being replaced, or did he mean the cloth on the cushions was replaced.

lol, check you out. You weren't trying to clarify anything, you were trying to show off and belittle people with your knowledge of *gasp* pool tables. Again.

Yawn.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol, check you out. You weren't trying to clarify anything, you were trying to show off and belittle people with your knowledge of *gasp* pool tables. Again.

Yawn.

I see it as correcting misinformation. Clarity is good. What did your post bring to the conversation?

sydbarret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pockets were generous on balls hit soft but still spitting some out on balls hit firm. Also the new cloth was slip and sliding around a lot.I wouldn't call those conditions easy by any means. There were a number of position errors leading to unforced errors and some of the players were struggling to get comfortable. I'd look for the play to be much stronger on day 2.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do recall the announcers stating the players were scared of the cue ball, as it was hard to control because of the conditions. With hearing that I wouldn't say the tables played too easy.

Just a thought. Who played the best? Mark Gray and John Schmidt? If so, think of this. Mark is an ex-snooker player. Fundamentally strong and keeps his game, cue ball control, tight. JS, with his 14.1 game, keeps his cue ball tight. So under the table conditions of yesterday they were able to shine.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pockets were generous on balls hit soft but still spitting some out on balls hit firm. Also the new cloth was slip and sliding around a lot.I wouldn't call those conditions easy by any means. There were a number of position errors leading to unforced errors and some of the players were struggling to get comfortable. I'd look for the play to be much stronger on day 2.
100% agree, I'd rather less sliding rails and pockets that aren't just dribble buckets.

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member

gotcha, thought you were asking a question about the table just was trying to help.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes the tougher position play and angles off the rails did balance out the pockets accepting slight misses. You can actually see the sliding action of the cueball in some shots where the spin grabs a bit later than it should or does not quite grab off the rail. I think the shot that Shmitd played where he tried to draw with spin to get to a ball for the side and ended up running into it was due to the new cloth not grabbing the spin for one example.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying the cushions were changed along with new cloth being installed, or are you just guessing?

I don't know this for a fact, it's just an assumption, but for an event like this, wouldn't they have a brand new diamond table from the factory, and then of course it would be sold in a hot second afterwards.

So underneath would have brand new rubber and covered in fresh cloth.

You would know more than I, but I doubt they would just take any old worn rubber table and re cloth it for the highest profile tournament of the year.

Of course I could be wrong.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
these are the standards used at DCC, Us Open 9 ball, US open 10 ball..

its a brand new diamond with new cloth and new balls, what do you all expect? It will tighten up a tad bit by the last day tho.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't know this for a fact, it's just an assumption, but for an event like this, wouldn't they have a brand new diamond table from the factory, and then of course it would be sold in a hot second afterwards.

So underneath would have brand new rubber and covered in fresh cloth.

You would know more than I, but I doubt they would just take any old worn rubber table and re cloth it for the highest profile tournament of the year.

Of course I could be wrong.

In Europe the table is supplied and set up by Diamonds European distributorship, new, then sold only at a slightly used discount, as Diamond tables are in great demand world wide, so there's never a fire sale on used Diamonds:grin:

Glen

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I just signed on to say the same thing. It's a diamond, so the pockets are supposed to be pro cut right? That cloth is super fast, is that why its taking balls in. Ive seen balls hit waaay up on the rail and at a good speed (considerably faster then pocket speed) that are going in. These are balls that would rattle or spit out on a gold crown at my local pool hall or my home table. Really absurd. Especially the 7 ball that Gray just shot to make it hill hill