Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Mosconi Cup table playing easy
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Mosconi Cup table playing easy
Old
  (#1)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Mosconi Cup table playing easy - 12-01-2014, 04:58 PM

I've seen quite a few balls fall that should not have fallen on a Diamond, cloth is playing very new for sure. The US would have hung up quite a few balls on cloth a month old the first day with how some of the shots went in.

I can't stand playing on new cloth, especially if it's stretched tight, balls go well over a foot further, spin scrubs off rails instead of catching and missed balls slide in off the points easier. Plus it banks longer although that part I got from Grady talking on commentary about new cloth, she always offers up some good info if you listen to him.

The more I see pros play on this type of equipment the more impressed I am with their position play.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#2)
victorl
Where'd my stroke go?
victorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-01-2014, 05:29 PM

I agree, although the pockets are playing easy, position play and kicks/banks are playing tough, so there is some tradeoff there. Once the cloth gets broken in, the pockets will tighten up but we will probably see more runouts because the rails and cloth will become more predictable.

Old
  (#3)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-01-2014, 06:16 PM

I watched 90% of the matches today and the benefits of the friendly pockets helped both teams. The six ball down the rail by Corey which looked like a miss but find it's way in. There was an eight ball that hit above the facing on a corner pocket (I think by euros in the Feijen match) and I was in shock when it fell. That would've bobbled and hung up all day later in tournaments.

Also two kicks, one by Justin Bergman and by Karl Boyes missed their Mark when hit with speed. I assumed that was because of the new rubber and cloth.

Both teams were on receiving end for better and for worse

Old
  (#4)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

12-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan Kid View Post
I watched 90% of the matches today and the benefits of the friendly pockets helped both teams. The six ball down the rail by Corey which looked like a miss but find it's way in. There was an eight ball that hit above the facing on a corner pocket (I think by euros in the Feijen match) and I was in shock when it fell. That would've bobbled and hung up all day later in tournaments.

Also two kicks, one by Justin Bergman and by Karl Boyes missed their Mark when hit with speed. I assumed that was because of the new rubber and cloth.

Both teams were on receiving end for better and for worse
Are you saying the cushions were changed along with new cloth being installed, or are you just guessing?

Old
  (#5)
crow
Caw Caw
crow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Are you saying the cushions were changed along with new cloth being installed, or are you just guessing?
Because of the slide the rails play longer,it's because of the new cloth not rails

Old
  (#6)
jaetee
rack master ;)
jaetee has a reputation beyond reputejaetee has a reputation beyond reputejaetee has a reputation beyond reputejaetee has a reputation beyond reputejaetee has a reputation beyond reputejaetee has a reputation beyond reputejaetee has a reputation beyond reputejaetee has a reputation beyond reputejaetee has a reputation beyond reputejaetee has a reputation beyond reputejaetee has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan Kid View Post
<snip> ....The six ball down the rail by Corey which looked like a miss but find it's way in. <snip>
From the camera angle, it looked to me that Corey would have clipped the blocking ball with the cue ball had he gone for a clean shot to that corner pocket. To his credit, I think Corey intentionally cheated that pocket by two diamonds, knowing the the new cloth was offering up lots of skid...

Old
  (#7)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaetee View Post
From the camera angle, it looked to me that Corey would have clipped the blocking ball with the cue ball had he gone for a clean shot to that corner pocket. To his credit, I think Corey intentionally cheated that pocket by two diamonds, knowing the the new cloth was offering up lots of skid...
Sorry, but I have to say that "skid" and "slide" are two different things, a skid takes place when 2 balls cling to one another upon contact, causing the second ball to skid, while a ball slides across the cloth, or down the nose of the cushions if only a slight angle as the ball has no friction to grip the ball and create spin or roll on new cloth.

Old
  (#8)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

12-01-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Because of the slide the rails play longer,it's because of the new cloth not rails
I know how a table plays under all circumstances, as I work on them every day, I was trying to clarify if the poster was referring to the cushions being replaced, or did he mean the cloth on the cushions was replaced.

Old
  (#9)
SakuJack
AzB Silver Member
SakuJack has a reputation beyond reputeSakuJack has a reputation beyond reputeSakuJack has a reputation beyond reputeSakuJack has a reputation beyond reputeSakuJack has a reputation beyond reputeSakuJack has a reputation beyond reputeSakuJack has a reputation beyond reputeSakuJack has a reputation beyond reputeSakuJack has a reputation beyond reputeSakuJack has a reputation beyond reputeSakuJack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

12-02-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
I know how a table plays under all circumstances, as I work on them every day, I was trying to clarify if the poster was referring to the cushions being replaced, or did he mean the cloth on the cushions was replaced.
lol, check you out. You weren't trying to clarify anything, you were trying to show off and belittle people with your knowledge of *gasp* pool tables. Again.

Yawn.

Old
  (#10)
robsnotes4u
AzB Silver Member
robsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Skype™ to robsnotes4u 
12-02-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuJack View Post
lol, check you out. You weren't trying to clarify anything, you were trying to show off and belittle people with your knowledge of *gasp* pool tables. Again.

Yawn.
I see it as correcting misinformation. Clarity is good. What did your post bring to the conversation?

Robert Martin
Billings, MT

Cue...2011 Keith Josey Custom
Ob Break Cue

Old
  (#11)
sydbarret
AzB Silver Member
sydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2014, 05:50 AM

Pockets were generous on balls hit soft but still spitting some out on balls hit firm. Also the new cloth was slip and sliding around a lot.I wouldn't call those conditions easy by any means. There were a number of position errors leading to unforced errors and some of the players were struggling to get comfortable. I'd look for the play to be much stronger on day 2.

Old
  (#12)
robsnotes4u
AzB Silver Member
robsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Skype™ to robsnotes4u 
12-02-2014, 06:09 AM

I do recall the announcers stating the players were scared of the cue ball, as it was hard to control because of the conditions. With hearing that I wouldn't say the tables played too easy.

Just a thought. Who played the best? Mark Gray and John Schmidt? If so, think of this. Mark is an ex-snooker player. Fundamentally strong and keeps his game, cue ball control, tight. JS, with his 14.1 game, keeps his cue ball tight. So under the table conditions of yesterday they were able to shine.

Robert Martin
Billings, MT

Cue...2011 Keith Josey Custom
Ob Break Cue

Old
  (#13)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids
Colin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarret View Post
Pockets were generous on balls hit soft but still spitting some out on balls hit firm. Also the new cloth was slip and sliding around a lot.I wouldn't call those conditions easy by any means. There were a number of position errors leading to unforced errors and some of the players were struggling to get comfortable. I'd look for the play to be much stronger on day 2.
100% agree, I'd rather less sliding rails and pockets that aren't just dribble buckets.

Quote:
"The first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - Lord Kelvin

Old
  (#14)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

12-02-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsnotes4u View Post
I see it as correcting misinformation. Clarity is good. What did your post bring to the conversation?
No problem, I just seem to attract the "NPR" posters all the time, as you can tell by his comment, it had nothing to do with pool!

Old
  (#15)
crow
Caw Caw
crow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
gotcha, thought you were asking a question about the table just was trying to help.

Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: