Dufferin Sneaky Pete

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked up an old Dufferin in good shape. Its the style that has the pin in the shaft, with no aluminum joint.
How big of a pain in the ass would it be, or how expensive would it be to have the insert in the butt drilled out, plugged, and a 3/8 10 pin put in it?
Thanks!
Chuck

Attachments

• dufferin sneaky.jpg
    dufferin sneaky.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 540

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you address the shaft also, it won't work.

KJ
Im only interested in converting the butt so that it can be used with my existing aftermarket shafts. Not sure if anyone has bothered on a Dufferin like this or not. I just thought it would be cool to convert and use.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Thanx for that clarification.
Do the jnt. diams of the aftermarket shaft and the handle match ?
It's up to you if it matters.

KJ

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked up an old Dufferin in good shape. Its the style that has the pin in the shaft, with no aluminum joint.
How big of a pain in the ass would it be, or how expensive would it be to have the insert in the butt drilled out, plugged, and a 3/8 10 pin put in it?
Thanks!
Chuck

I do believe they used a 5/16 pin - so, you should be able to drill the hole to 5/16,
tap and install a 3/8 pin. Easy peasy.

Dale

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Agreed, that would be "Easy peasy". However.............
There is no ring banding the shaft though on a true sneaky you wouldn't want a ring.
My concern is for the shaft splitting at the jnt. The ring all but eliminates that.
In the absence of the ring/band, I'd suggest the install of a pheno-insert.
While it's not a band it does create an internal bond to a solid member, the insert.
The pheno-inserts that I'm currently using are 2-1/8" long.
The OP's new pin will be what in exposed length, 1-1/8, 1-1/4".
The pheno-insert extends for an additional (almost) 1" into the base of the shaft
adding internal strength and rigidity. An additional bonus is that the threads are lifetime.
I'm not selling pheno-inserts; well, at least not at this time.
I'd just like to see Chuck get the good build first try.

KJ

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, that would be "Easy peasy". However.............
There is no ring banding the shaft though on a true sneaky you wouldn't want a ring.
My concern is for the shaft splitting at the jnt. The ring all but eliminates that.
In the absence of the ring/band, I'd suggest the install of a pheno-insert.
While it's not a band it does create an internal bond to a solid member, the insert.
The pheno-inserts that I'm currently using are 2-1/8" long.
The OP's new pin will be what in exposed length, 1-1/8, 1-1/4".
The pheno-insert extends for an additional (almost) 1" into the base of the shaft
adding internal strength and rigidity. An additional bonus is that the threads are lifetime.
I'm not selling pheno-inserts; well, at least not at this time.
I'd just like to see Chuck get the good build first try.

KJ

Good advice - the splitting of non-collared sneakies with 3/8 pins is indeed a well known problem.

However, upon re-reading I see he mentions an "insert" in the butt.

I still have a few Duf sneakies, made for the USA market I assume, that have the pin in the butt,
I was thinking of them. In fact the insert for the pin is likely 7/16, possibly even larger.

So, it would need to be plugged and re-threaded - not so easy after all.

Hey, it was late... even for me:)

Dale

hustler4483

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey bud, I have a guy who does this all the time and by doing it he does it well and is very reasonable. Send me a pm if you want to get hooked up with him.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!
Chuck

Greg Sowder in Vancouver will do it, but he doesn't like doing 3/8x10 without a collar.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats guys, Im fine with a joint collar on there.
Ill contact Greg soon and see if I can get it over there. :thumbup: