My struggle begins - and I videotaped it! (practising Blackjack's way)

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I set two goals for 2010 - get back to the table and post a video of a decent 14.1 run. Well, second part is still to be achieved, but I got back prastising! Please keep in mind that I haven't done that for about 20 months, and during that period of time I played 8-10 times overall. So I'm pretty satisfied with what you could see there.
I don't have a camcorder yet so I decided to shoot some video with my PDA. It worked out pretty well I would say. Sorry about the white balance though, it changes like crazy from almost blue to almost yellow ;)

After I edited the clip (I show only good tries) I ended up with an hour of footage I wanted to present to you. Provided there is nothing really useful and no any runs, I decided to double the speed so that the viewers don't waste an hour. Geez, Tony Drago still seems faster :) Also you'd better watch the vids with sound on as I tried to entertain viewing a tiny bit.

Blackjack, sorry I misspelled your name in azbtv description ("d" and "s" keys are too close) and noticed it only after uploading.
Due to magnify.net upload restrictions I had to split my file in two parts.
Practice session part 1
Practice session part 2

Note I decided I will continue shooting in case of a miss every time, just to deal with a given pattern to the very end. So I don't have any run that counts for me but all I wanted so far was proper planning and execute as good as I could.
Please share your opinion on my patterns and breaks.

------------------------------------------------------------
Below I describe the video contents and provide my comments to some positions.

First part of the video features 3x3 drills explained by Blackjack in his YouTube videos (End Pattern Drill and
End Pattern Drill 2) and his 14.1 Boot Camp post.

In the second part I practice a special drill Blackjack favors. 10 balls are racked, 2 balls are potential break ball candidates, 2 other are good key balls, and one is a first shot to break the cluster.

Last, there is a 3-minute compilation of all the break shots of the session when I managed to make a ball. There is some strange pattern my cue ball follows almost every time.

Part 1
9:22 - I have no good shoth other than 8 ball, but I go with that secondary break right away because I have an insurance ball (stripe to the right corner). I get very good spread and have pretty wide shot selection but decide to play a combo. 9 and 11 were aligned very good, almost straight to the corner. I didn't play the solid ball to the left side because I wanted to save it as a potential key ball. That might have been my mistake since I had to pocket it right after an awful miss.

Part 2
2:37 - bad shape on the 1 ball. I'm forced to go one rail route instead of a stop shot and make another mistake wjile trying to restore position and play th 9 in the side. I have to play it to the corner and got much harder break shot (which I miss).
(On a side note, I think that's positions like this which drive them 9-ball players crazy about 14.1. In terms of 9-ball I didn't fail: pocketed both balls no matter how. In terms of 14.1 a tiny mistake ruined the pattern. You know people straight pool is a bery demanding game.)
12:40 - I'm unhappy about the 13-11 cluster after I make a ball. Tried to break it immediately, missed but still had an option to break it using 2 ball, Missed the cluster again nad forced to play it later having a severe close cut on 13 - and I have no shot after that! I'm forced to jump a half ball tomake the 11. Of course I use my playing cue, and I pocket the ball! Right after that I miss a gimmie...

Apparently I have to play more to return the feel and the aim, al the fundamentals. I hope that if I eliminate stupid misses I could run at least 20. My personal best is occasional 47...
What I liked about that session though is now I feel more convenient at the table, I don't feel lost every time like I did when I played 14.1 before without knowledge about patterns and other details I learnt from The Forum and John Schmidt's "How I run 100s" video.

16:32 - last part, The Break. I really have trouble controlling a cue ball, it parked on the end rail almost every time! When the cue ball was not parallel but closer to the middle of the table I was trying to hit with draw and outside English. At the same time I didn't want to blast the pack, so probably draw resulted in drag shots. Note outside English grips on the cushion and pulls the whitey further to nowhere. So I come up with no shot or very hard shot after a break.
Then, there is a shot when I scratch trying to follow the cue ball, a couple of successful follow attempts, a couple of good control examples (I hit with deep draw). On the last break the cb travelled up table to my surprise.

What am I doing wrong? Should I pay more attention to which portion of the ball in the rack the cb hits? I suppose this is the primary reason - the cb was reflected forwards by the lower portion of the ball. What is the general rule then? One is "follow on parallel cb and above, draw on below". What if I should hit with draw but hit a lower portion then?

Vahmurka

Silver Member
Don't hesitate to express your opinion on my decision-making and shot selection.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't hesitate to express your opinion on my decision-making and shot selection.

Nice soundtrack, I always liked Astrud Gilberto. IMHO, you might consider some time with drills that develop speed and angle control. A favorite of mine is to lay out the balls in your same 9 ball grid but ,instead of playing to a breakball, attempt to jsut clear the balls with the following two proscriptions:

> the cueball cannot go to a cushion
> the cueball cannot contact another ball

This drill calls up many skills:

> it will demand good sequence planning.
> it will develop good short draw and throwing skills.
> it demands very subtle CB control and precise angles.
> expand to all 15 balls

Vahmurka

Silver Member
I know that drill, Ralph Eckert refers to it as a "Brainwash" in his instructional video. I think the less balls you use in it the more complicated it is, i.e. 9 balls are harder than 15 because yes there is less room to travel and not contact another ball but you have more recovery options if you happen to miss position.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that drill, Ralph Eckert refers to it as a "Brainwash" in his instructional video. I think the less balls you use in it the more complicated it is, i.e. 9 balls are harder than 15 because yes there is less room to travel and not contact another ball but you have more recovery options if you happen to miss position.

I will wager that one will clear 9 balls more often than 15.

Vahmurka

Silver Member
My break shots problem described in first post (16:32 - last part, The Break) still remains (no wonder) so I would like you guys to address it, I'm sure you have something to say. AFAIK sensei BJ is up to something about all that, but I believe others have their opinion also as well as probable remedy. Please comment.

I managed to record some runs to post, meaning my 2010 goal is completed :grin: Needs to be revised, so my chase after a 50 continues. My PDA camera is weak and seems to be too weak in dim light conditions, my previous video is surprisingly good compared to these. And it is a different pool hall, no place to put my small tripod to get the camera high enough. Maybe I will have to carry my big one with me, making me look like carrying two cue cases, LOL. Still it is a video evidence of me running 27, nothing to boast about but I hope I will make better. During that practice session I ran 14, 13, 10, 22 and 27 (any run under 10 doesn't count).

14 and 22 ball run
watch at AZBTV
watch at Veoh

14 ball run starting off a 3x3 drill - that was a hard rack, mostly because of a 3-ball cluster in the rack area, so I'm satisifed I managed to solve it. I make a bad break again, at 4:40 I break a dangerous cluster. At 8:10 after making 15 in far corner I gain shape on the 2 for the secondary break and I'm proud I executed the shot exactly the way I wanted. I reposition the 10 to become a break ball and get shape on the 9 to have a next shot. Unfortunately I didn't have any angle and had to cheat the pocket to get some. I overran the follow shot and can't break the rack to continue the run.
22 ball run ends because there is no free ball to shoot and an off-line combination didn't work out.

27 ball run
watch at AZBTV
watch at Veoh

End pattern in first rack was far from ideal but I had to sorta follow the position: at 3:32 I don't play the 8 like I first planned because I noticed an opportunity to move the 2 to the side pocket as a good key ball for the 5 (break ball). But after that I had no other good shot except that 2. Yes I overhit a draw from 12 to the 8 later but managed to pocket the 8 and get a decent position on the 5. At around 7:13 I was lucky to have a shot on the 8 in the side because I didn't play any kind of position with that shot, I just hit a combo. The reason for "playing to nowhere" I think is that it's not yet easy to force my mind and try to predict the path of every ball involved when playing a combo. In second rack I leave a stripe on the right side as a break ball and my key ball is the yellow 1 (6-10-9-1). Not that hard end pattern but I ruined it miscalculating the cue ball route and moving the break ball which confused me. Maybe I should have left different angle on the 9 and played one-rail position to the 1, thus eliminating the chance of going around my break ball. (That's, again, the difference between 14.1 and 9-Ball - in terms of 9-Ball I played pretty okay and nothing bad happened, in terms of straight pool it was disastrous. So many things to consider on every shot!)

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Hi Vahmurka. I found your "breaks" section to the video. I really like the idea of putting all the breaks together in one section, to facilitate study and comparisons.

I was struck by the consistent path of the cueball after contact, just like you were. There are many things in life, and in pool, where a solution is not so easy. Fortunately for you, this is not one of them :). Just stroke a little draw on the cueball. If you thought you were drawing before, just add a little more. You are currently drawing less than you think you are, or not at all. Hard to tell which from the video, but the results are clear... your cueball consistently rolls forward off the tangent line as if it has no significant backspin.

It seems as if you are so worried about not powering the shot that you are letting it affect the amount of english you put on the cueball. There is a bit of a relationship between speed of the shot and the amount of english you can get on a ball, but maybe not as much as you think. You'll have to practice getting more low on the cueball at medium speeds.

Lastly, pay attention to which part of the rack you'll be hitting. I know it's a pain, but the nice thing is that eventually, you'll do this automatically. You won't even have to go up to the rack. Anyway, if you're hitting the bottom part of a ball, you'll have to add a lot more draw to hold the position. In many cases, this won't even be desirable, and you'll opt for follow. The last thing you'd want to do in these cases is stun the cueball, because now you're guaranteed to slowly roll along an unfavorable tangent line.

Hope some of this is helpful...

- Steve

Vahmurka

Silver Member
thanks a lot Steve, I will try to draw deeper (or maybe hit a bit harder so that bottom english applied remains on the cue ball). I think I should dig my copy of Capelle's book out of my "library" (actually a random pile covered with dust because I haven't been hitting a ball seriously for almost two years) and study his approach to the breaks once again. He is pretty thorough in every aspect. I will try to come up with another video run and hope I do my homework

Vahmurka

Silver Member
today I managed to produce a 27 ball run again. Thought it was over 27 a bit until I watched the record and noticed I missed right after a break shot due to lack of concentration. Note to myself: focus on making first couple of balls as hard as possible (since I tend to miss early in the rack rather than later). After a miss which ended my run I ran extra 7 balls before a miss on a straight-in shot. That rack wasn't hard at all and I finished it proceeding to a break ball (which I didn't make, okay). So if it was not for those stupid misses I would have run at least 42... That's to call for concentration.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice series of balls. I too have a problem missing early in the rack. I think I'm trying to do too much with the shot and the cue ball. I think sometimes you need to just accept what the table will give you and then work from there.

Andy

Vahmurka

Silver Member
I think sometimes you need to just accept what the table will give you and then work from there.
thanks for the kind words Andy. You are right but it seems the table is too cruel on me and hardly gives any shot after a break :grin-square:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Nice run

today I managed to produce a 27 ball run again. Thought it was over 27 a bit until I watched the record and noticed I missed right after a break shot due to lack of concentration. Note to myself: focus on making first couple of balls as hard as possible (since I tend to miss early in the rack rather than later). After a miss which ended my run I ran extra 7 balls before a miss on a straight-in shot. That rack wasn't hard at all and I finished it proceeding to a break ball (which I didn't make, okay). So if it was not for those stupid misses I would have run at least 42... That's to call for concentration.

Nice run, keep up the good work.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to view them but I already have more passwords than I can keep track of and I have decided that's enough. Good shooting to you and I think you will blow that 27 away in the very near future.

Dave Nelson

Vahmurka

Silver Member
Thanks 14-1StraightMan, I will try my best.

I would like to view them but I already have more passwords than I can keep track of and I have decided that's enough.
what passwords are you talking about Dave? AZBTV (magnify.net) doesn't require any to view the videos hosted there. I hope you give it a try and some time, I appreciate any advice given on my patterns and breaks and whatever.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I guess I have some other problem then. I follow the link that you posted and I get the site with the screen where your video should appear but nothing plays.

Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a mystery to me. I can play videos from any other source I try but not AZBTV. I get the screen but no action. I filled out the trouble form but haven't had a reply.

Dave Nelson

Vahmurka

Silver Member
that's really weird Dave. It seems to me magnify.net is no different from similar flash video sites. Hope you get some helpful feedback from them.
Do you have any problem with Veoh? I might upload my last run there specially for you (and maybe some other users who don't report their trouble but face it)

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well,I finally figured it out, sortof, maybe. ShockWave isn't working on this computer, even though I downloaded and re-installed it twice. I went over to my other computer and it worked just as it is supposed to. Is there a genius lurking who could explain this to me? Never mind, I wouldn't understand anyway.

Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well,I finally figured it out, sortof, maybe. ShockWave isn't working on this computer, even though I downloaded and re-installed it twice. I went over to my other computer and it worked just as it is supposed to. Is there a genius lurking who could explain this to me? Never mind, I wouldn't understand anyway.

Dave Nelson

but it looks like it's playing a double speed or more.