VA State 14.1 experience, and thanks to JMD in VA

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
So I played in the VA State 14.1 Championships yesterday.

I lost my first match pretty badly (high run of 8!) because I couldn't get in stroke, and the tables were on average NOT in tournament condition. I then had a bye for the first round on the loser's side. Turns out the match I was waiting on had a REALLY slow player, and it took 2.5 or 3 hours. During that time I found my stroke, but my feet and back started to get sore. The slow player lost so I had to play him.

I cannot play slow players yet. I'm not a quick shooter at all, but I do have a rhythm. This guy analyzed every little detail and was by far the slowest player I've ever seen. It threw me off to the extreme. I was making difficult breakout shots and missing routine shots right after. I tried slowing down but that threw me off even more. The final score ended up only 3 balls better for me than the first match.

Today I'm physically and mentally exhausted. My wife had some friends over when I got home and I was picturing their heads as pool balls, and how I could make them all in the corner of the room, as if there was a pocket there. I then dreamed about pool ALL NIGHT.

Despite my poor performance, I have to say that yesterday was a great experience. I have a feeling I'll be placing in the money at some of the local tournaments soon. I am definitely devoted to 14.1 now and will be playing it as much as possible.

I also want to give a huge THANK YOU to Josh (JMD in VA) for everything he did to make this tournament happen. I'll do my best to make it to the next VA State 9-ball :thumbup:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey,

good to see that there are some 14.1 tourneys popping up and that you jumped in and played. Charlie and I wanted to play in this until we realized that you have to reside in VA.... BUMMER !

were there any big names there. is there a player list somewhere online ?

Thanks
Steve

love how you were seeing heads as pool balls, guess thats the end results of being focussed on 14.1 !!!! LOL

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Playing 14.1 & Loving it....

LOL.... your post was funny, the part about your friends heads were pool balls.
I can feel your pain ( physically and mentally)when it comes to sitting & waiting for hours until your next match. My back always hurts me alot. One of the reasons, I do not play in tournaments.
Speak of the slow players..... They are a pain too, but if it is their thing, then you have to learn to deal with it.
Anyways, I am glad you played in that tournament. It is a great way to learn and you seem to be very positive. Which is good.
Keep playing the best game in the World of Pool.

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Hey,

good to see that there are some 14.1 tourneys popping up and that you jumped in and played. Charlie and I wanted to play in this until we realized that you have to reside in VA.... BUMMER !

were there any big names there. is there a player list somewhere online ?

Thanks
Steve

love how you were seeing heads as pool balls, guess thats the end results of being focussed on 14.1 !!!! LOL

Bobby Chamberlain is there. I wouldn't be the one to ask though, I know nothing about the 14.1 scene :p. I don't have a player's list but I'm sure Josh can fill you in once things wind down.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
can you sneek a peek at the list, and create a player list and post it up ?

Thanks
Steve

Guilotine

Registered
2010 VA State 14.1 Championship

Venue - Obelisk Billiards Club, Newport News, VA

Player List (25 players)

Greg Ferguson
David Hunt
Doug Graham
Chuck Hager
Billy Hoback
John Eldridge
Chris Pickard
Ozzy Reynolds
Norm Luck
Antonio Morales
Brian Keller
Scott Morris
Bobby Chamberlain
Alex Trevino
Antonio DiAmico
Juan Holmes
Ed Kist
Dave Perry
Doug Jerrold
Nigel Francis
Eric Moore
Michael Conway Jr.
Greg Sabins
Zack Nichols
Sergey Sobakarev

6th - John Eldridge - $100
5th - Greg Ferguson - $100
4th - Ozzy Reynolds - $150
3rd - Dave Perry - $250
2nd - $580 (Cash and Prize)
1st - $1280 (Cash and Prize) plus paid entry into 2010 Predator World Straight Pool Championship

Finals race to 100 points
Bobby Chamberlain vs Eric Moore

High Run wins Nick Varner Signature cue and case
Current run leader - Bobby Chamberlain (72 high run)

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another terrific event!

I was fortunate enough to play in this inaugural event and really enjoyed myself. I'm a huge fan of straight pool and want to see more of it. Having to wait for 3.5 hours to play my first match didn't help my game any but I consider that to be one of things with which tournament players have to learn to cope. Perhaps someday I will too. :wink:

Obelisk Billiards is a top notch facility and they went out of their way to make all the players feel welcome. The donated an enormous crystal trophy for the winner.

My only beef with the playing conditions had to do with the tables (filthy cloth) and the balls which weren't polished and seemed to clump a lot. The pockets were tight but fair.

Congrats to Joshua for arranging an excellent event with a solid field. Congrats to Bobby Chamberlain on winning the tournament and long run.

Brian in VA

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
My first 14.1 tourney in the books!

Hey Zack! Thanks for the kind words and a special thanks for coming and playing in my first 14.1 tournament. I was excited to be branching out and running a tournament in a different discipline. 9 Ball has been the sport of choice for many years now, so getting this tournament together was a challenge. Luckily for me, I had some help. First and foremost I want to thank my room sponsor, Obelisk Billiard Club in Newport News, VA and a very special thanks to the Managers and soon to be owners; Greg and Shawn Ferguson! They run a class poolroom with a talented and courteous staff! The food was excellent and service second to none(Thanks Chasity!) Greg and I discussed the table issues after the event and one of the sponsors of the event, TableSports Billiard, had worked on the tables. Greg told me that the tables would be remedied by next years event. We had 2 other sponsors to the event; Nick Varner Signature Cues & Cases who gave us a cue and case for the High Run of the event and Morales Table Repair with my new friend, Antonio Morales, who had a nice showing at the event himself! Thanks Amigo!

Now I have to thank another group that without them this event would not have happened; the players. 14.1 to many poolplayers is a lost art and takes a special type of person to play this game and I can honestly say, you all are very special to me. Thank You Gentlemen! I had the opportunity to get metter aquainted with one player this weekend. He would end up being not only the High Run Leader for the weekend, but our new VA State 14.1 Champion, Bobby Chamberlain! Bobby and I had been PM'ing each other for weeks about this event. He told me he was bringing 3 other guys with him and true to his word, he did and they are all great 14.1 players and I am sure I will see them in my other events this year!

Let me wrap up by saying that I could not be more pleased than in my first attempt at a 14.1 event that I filled 80% of the field. Thaks to myplayers, sponsors and all who made this event possible and I look forward to hopefully seeing you all at the 2nd VA State 14.1 Championships.

I am in the process of setting up 3 other events for the year, so be on the lookout for my posts about these events as well.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
lol.....

hope you ll never have to play against me :p (chance is minimal- germany far enough^^)- in league games i also often fall into a very slow rythm (rythm sounds better :p)- and if i feel/see that the opponent is gettin crazy about it?.....hmmmmm, i don t really think that i ll come into a faster rythm .... *grin*.

This is a thing you have to learn- just be relaxed and watch ALWAYS your opponent- you can learn on one side if he s playin good, even so learn about how s the material- on the other side you are also able to discover perhaps things your opponent is afraid of or even just if he is a bit unsure. Most players watchin the sky etc....don t do that. -Try to enjoy every opponent- you ll learn anyway.

Don t let you bring down by someone else - the only one who can bring you down is yourself :)

lg
Ingo

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Thank you Ratta. I completely agree that it is a problem with myself and not my opponent. If I were confident and consistent it wouldn't matter how long my opponent takes to shoot :p Alas... I need to work on both of those.

Practice practice practice :)