Handicapped Straight Pool Tournament this Saturday

Fastolfe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great looking room, and plenty of space for wheelchair access too it seems. I wish I was there to watch.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Red Shoes

What a great looking room, and plenty of space for wheelchair access too it seems. I wish I was there to watch.

Denny Keehan, a straight pool fanatic and former jockey who went down with his horse, is a regular in our straight pool league and shoots from a wheelchair.

The first time I played him, I broke and he ran 29 on me. Another time< i needed about 9 and he ran 39 and out on me. Tough little sob.

I just realized you thought it was a WHEELCHAIR tournament.

As explained in the other thread, people play to a certain handicap, for example I might be going to 100 against someone else who might be going to 50 or 150. Handicaps are determined by the tournament director with reference to League handicaps, where available.

Last edited:

Fastolfe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Denny Keehan, a straight pool fanatic and former jockey who went down with his horse, is a regular in our straight pool league and shoots from a wheelchair. The first time I played him, I broke and he ran 29 on me. Another time< i needed about 9 and he ran 39 and out on me. Tough little sob.

Anecdotally, many years ago when I was young and couldn't play my way out of a wet paper bag (but thought I played well), a guy came to my table and asked if he could play with me, because I was playing alone and no table was free. I looked up and was quite surprised to see a dude with an arm and a leg prothesis. I said sure, and instinctively thought I'd take it easy so he can play some. We played some straight rail and he gave me one the biggest whoopings of my life. The guy averaged 20, and in hindsight, I have a feeling he didn't try very hard. After a few innings, during which I watched him play totally fascinated, he packed up, politely said goodbye and left.

I still remember this guy vividly. He made me realize disabled players are players before being disabled, and it's their game that's interesting. Since then, I find handicapped games (be it pool or paralympics or any other event) much more entertaining than regular games: you get to discover some truly amazing sportsmen that aren't as well known as they should be, and watch some really exciting action.

I just realized you thought it was a WHEELCHAIR tournament.

As explained in the other thread, people play to a certain handicap, for example I might be going to 100 against someone else who might be going to 50 or 150. Handicaps are determined by the tournament director with reference to League handicaps, where available.

Oh silly me. I didn't read it properly :)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Red Shoes Tournament this Saturday

Just a little bump for Saturday's tournament.

In preparation, Smooth Eddie Latimer ran a 44 and a 74 last night in his Illinois Billiards Club match. I won my two games but was only able to eke out a 24. Mike Corbett had a 46 and Ron Shepard had a 59.

Should be a fun tournament.

In two weeks, On March 20, 2010, another Open Straight Pool Tournament will take place at Red Shoes, details to follow later. Non-handicapped so it should draw some of the bigger boys like Bobby Hunter.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Dennis,

it seems there is alot of 14.1 activity at red shoes and I am very happy to hear it.
Would be even happier if I could see it, try to get a stream going soon ! So we all could enjoy some 14.1 action .

Good luck
Steve