My Visit With 14-1Straightman (Mike Grosso)

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Three years ago I came on to the forum and asked for donations for my after school billiards program and Mike Grosso was the first person to respond. He donated a table to my program like several other forum members that are too numerous to count for this thread. The other day I posted a thread about my decision to concentrate on 14.1. Mike sent me a PM inviting me to his place to play some straight pool. For those of you that don’t know Mike he was a decorated Dallas police officer that is now retired. Not only did he add commendations to his name for his police service he won several tournaments through the years and is a top player in his Dallas Fort Worth area masters BCA league. He also recently won the seniors Texas State 8 ball championship.
Mike really rolled out the red carpet for me. He fed me well and shared some really interesting pool history with me. We played 14.1 all day and he gave me some really good advice that has really benefited my game. He beat me soundly in every 14.1 game that we played. We also played some 8 ball and he beat me 2 out of 3 sets. I came home and immediately noticed a difference in my defensive game and in my shot selection.
I have always said that the best thing about my involvement with pool has been the people I meet. Mike is a perfect example of this. He is a great person, a really strong player who is passionate about 14.1 and is willing to share his knowledge with other players.
If you live around Dallas Ft. Worth and you like 14.1 send Mike a pm, you will be glad you did.

Below is a link to a short video about his room.
LINK
Cheers,
Marcus

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like Mike is a credit to our game and that you really appreciate it.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Wow! That's one great man cave Mike's got there, NICE!! :thumbup:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice post, marcus
it's clear from mike's videos and posts that he is one of the "good guys" of our game. i think most of us would benefit from time spent with mike learning more of the finer points of 14.1 - i know i certainly would
best of luck with your program
jim

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I know mikey for quite a number of years, we met here on AZ and I knew from his very first post that I would like him. And this held true, we have spoken several times on the phone and I really look forward to meeting him in person some day... I hope that happens on the tables, cause I know we would have some fantastic games !!!

Thanks for the video of mikes game room, it's everything that I imagined that it would be.

Mike is a real diamond in the rough !

Steve

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks To All

I know mikey for quite a number of years, we met here on AZ and I knew from his very first that I would like him. And this held true, we have spoken several times on the phone and I really look forward to meeting him in person some day... I hope that happens on the tables, cause I know we would have some fantastic games !!!

Thanks for the video of mikes game room, it's everything that I imagined that it would be.

Mike is a real diamond in the rough !

Steve

Thanks Stevie & my Thanks to all. I have come to know some really good people here on our Forum. I would love to meet you all over time, shoot pool, eat & laugh while we all tell stories. That is the Good Life.

Last edited:

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Stevie & my Thanks to all. I have come to know some really good people here on our Forum. I would love to met you all over time, shoot pool, eat & laugh while we all tell stories. That is the Good Life.

Mike is not only an excellent 14.1 player, but he's also a complete gentleman. He genuinely wants you to play your best. This way when he whoops you, you'll at least know you had the best chance possible. LOL

Not bad for a Yankee...er, yea, isn't he a retired NYC police officer? :)

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing the video. It looks like a great room to relax in at home!

Mike - Thanks for all of your posts and your videos. Always love learning from you.

How does it feel being a mentor to people you haven't even met?! LOL!

Seriously, thanks for all that you do. Definitely one of the good guys on AZB!

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hrhr,

nice posting :)
It must be for sure a pleasure to meet Mike in person- really hope to make it some day to the States-and if so, my way would definitley go also to the Dallas Area for sure!
We never met in person, but we became good friends via mailing and messaging each other. Mike is one of the very few persons i know via internet i really call a friend.

And to say something about his 14.1 abilities....well- in that case i could also say, that rain is wet...senseless, lol! He s a great player and addicted to the sport.

thx for sharing,

lg from overseas,

ingo

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Mike & Marcus

Had a nice visit with Marcus from Houston.

Attachments

• Mike & Marcus.jpg
    Mike & Marcus.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Posters

It would be so great if that photo was right side up.

I went over and looked at the two 14.1 tournament posters for sale. They are both great looking. I just do not have any more space in my game room for anything. I have other neat stuff that I have not even hung up b/c of no space. Someone needs to grab those two posters for their game room.