Silver Member
Salt City Billiards
Mattydale, NY (just outside Syracuse)

SVB vs Strickland challenge match
Race to 11
Free to watch in person or on facebook page
https://m.facebook.com/SaltCityBilliards/?ref=bookmarks

Wednesday August 22nd at 6pm
We are hosting an exhibition match between Shane Van Boening, currently the best player in the US and arguably the world, versus one of the greatest players of all time, Earl Strickland. This will be an epic match and one you will not want to miss. Thanks to both players for agreeing to help us promote pool and our room.

Following the exhibition we will host the
SALT CITY BILLIARDS OPEN III
NINE BALL TOURNAMENT which will include other top pro players as well as some of the best players from the country who are in town for the Turning Stone Classic.

We will also have $40 mini tournaments with 8 player fields all night as long as there is demand.

The event will be free to watch in person and live streamed to the world at no charge right here on our Facebook page.

6pm Wednesday 8/22/18
Race to 11 challenge match between
Shane Van Boening vs. Earl Strickland
The challenge match will be followed by the
SALT CITY BILLIARDS OPEN III
NINE BALL TOURNAMENT
Signup by 7:00pm
Pro level $150 race to 8 / Amateurs $100 race to 7
Single elimination / Joss foul rules
Nine ball spots if made on break / Jump cues allowed
Payout at least top 4 spots- 1st/45%, 2nd/25%, 3rd + 4th 15% each
Highest placing amateur will receive an additional $200
Free to watch in person or on live stream on our facebook page

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Shane vs Earl.....a good match-up.
10 US Opens between them.
Earl is quite a bit older, but he has more world titles.

...maybe the most important thing, they like each other.....
...although Earl may forget that in the heat of the moment...
...and Shane will be smiling.

Gonna try to make it down

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane vs Earl.....a good match-up.
10 US Opens between them.
Earl is quite a bit older, but he has more world titles.

...maybe the most important thing, they like each other.....
...although Earl may forget that in the heat of the moment...
...and Shane will be smiling.

Gonna try to make it down

...and they both play with electrical tape on the the wrap of their suuuuper long cues.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Are they playing for the cheese or is the match purely an exhibition?

It would so much more intriguing if something were on the line.

Maniac

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is certainly an exhibition. No one bets anything on a race to 11, and while Earl is certifiably insane he wouldn't put money even up against SVB at this stage in his career.

Earl no longer is a draw for me. When he was playing at his peak and dominating on the world stage his antics were tolerable, mostly because it was part of the mystery of his explosive gear. Once that gear is gone, well, there's not much to look at. Just an angry echo of what once was legendary.

I admire the fact that Earl keeps getting in the ring, keeps trying to find ways to remain competitive and relevant, and trains hard. He's walked a road almost no one else has managed and I applaud him for his past accomplishments. At this point though I'd rather watch longer matches between top players that treat each other and their matches with respect, the way Feijen and Ekonomopolous did.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
...and they both play with electrical tape on the the wrap of their suuuuper long cues.

It’s about time they both took advantage of the decorative possibilities of tape...

6A8EF88A-7B9C-47B7-B010-EA7D3D95F49F.jpeg

Let’s see some life around that CueTec, Shane.....:smile2::rotflmao::joyful:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is certainly an exhibition. No one bets anything on a race to 11, and while Earl is certifiably insane he wouldn't put money even up against SVB at this stage in his career.

Earl no longer is a draw for me. When he was playing at his peak and dominating on the world stage his antics were tolerable, mostly because it was part of the mystery of his explosive gear. Once that gear is gone, well, there's not much to look at. Just an angry echo of what once was legendary.

I admire the fact that Earl keeps getting in the ring, keeps trying to find ways to remain competitive and relevant, and trains hard. He's walked a road almost no one else has managed and I applaud him for his past accomplishments. At this point though I'd rather watch longer matches between top players that treat each other and their matches with respect, the way Feijen and Ekonomopolous did.

You can watch secretly...we won't tell.

Every event people crowd to watch Strickland over all others....because the man does things with the cueball that even top pros can't. If you are a fan of pool you have to be a fan of Earl at some level.

If people want to bet against Earl make sure they don't give up too many games because the man can still flat out play. Anybody gives more than a game will be sweating. Or they could give odds on the money. So what's the line?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They both will be playing as hard as they ever do imho

Exhibition match.

I'm more than ready to host any 2 players who are in town for Turning Stone and want to bet high. Really don't see the big money matches between top guys anymore. I believe having big money in matches is what's been missing of late. There just isn't big money on pool.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s about time they both took advantage of the decorative possibilities of tape...

View attachment 494971

Let’s see some life around that CueTec, Shane.....:smile2::rotflmao::joyful:
I see a candy cane wrap in Earl Strickland future. It'll go well with his ass weights, no glare glasses, arm weights and whatever other gadgets he's been experimenting with over the years. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Earl Strickland!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exhibition match.

I'm more than ready to host any 2 players who are in town for Turning Stone and want to bet high. Really don't see the big money matches between top guys anymore. I believe having big money in matches is what's been missing of late. There just isn't big money on pool.

nope- and the players are better than they have ever been.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Earl and will always watch,but he pissed me off in the four corners match against Darren when he swept all those racks in.Heard him bellyache for years about no side pockets and when he had the chance he had a bad day and didn’t even try.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This

I love Earl and will always watch,but he pissed me off in the four corners match against Darren when he swept all those racks in.Heard him bellyache for years about no side pockets and when he had the chance he had a bad day and didn’t even try.

This.

Trying to watch an Earl match is perpetually disappointing. Antics are fine with me. Raking balls and making a mockery out of matches isn't. He's like a dad that doesn't show up to see his son on his birthday. Fans come to watch him and it's not about them, it's all about his dissatisfaction. It's really too bad.

I won't be secretly watching. The fans that crowd to him are still holding out hope he won't let them down. For me that ship has sailed.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Shane and Earl have had some good matches in the past. But from my recollection, Earl's best chance is like when he beat Shane on a 10-foot table set up to Earl's liking. But I think that on a 9-foot table, SVB has to be a huge favorite (and of course Fargo Rate agrees). Could it be a close and enjoyable match -- possibly -- but it's also possible that something very predicable and not very enjoyable could happen too.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know people still want to like Earl if he would just never quit in a match and respect the game and his opponents more.He would be revered as much as Mr Reyes is.He still has time to turn it around if he wants to.I watch his old matches and see a lot of the same antics, just reigned in better.What a rare talent though and such an aggressive offensive force.I came up watching him and Reyes duking it out.

The antics disappoint me and take away from his legacy.It was always my hope that age would mellow him out and he would see that instead of motivating himself by feeling everyone was against him,he would embrace the fans and enjoy his place in the game like Reyes is doing as we speak.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they playing for the cheese or is the match purely an exhibition?

It would so much more intriguing if something were on the line.

Maniac
I'm sure they are both guaranteed a fee for the exhibition. I would hope there would not be anything else on the line, as if that's the case, it's more likely Earl will keep his composure even if the match doesn't go well for him. In one exhibition race to 11, anything could happen and I wouldn't rule Earl out, although for the rail birds, the betting line I'm guessing would favor SVB by 2 or 3 games.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure they are both guaranteed a fee for the exhibition. I would hope there would not be anything else on the line, as if that's the case, it's more likely Earl will keep his composure even if the match doesn't go well for him. In one exhibition race to 11, anything could happen and I wouldn't rule Earl out, although for the rail birds, the betting line I'm guessing would favor SVB by 2 or 3 games.

3 games would be a lot. That means SVB has to win 11 to 7 or better. You can get action from me and others if you want to bet that. Earl is still one of the very best players in the US.