IQ Infinity LD Shaft Review

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been now playing for two weeks with my shaft from www.iqcues.gr

They are made in Athens, Greece by Dimitrios Kalogeras. He also makes beautiful complete cues. This is what Alex Kazakis shoots with. They are pretty popular in Northern and Southern Europe, but I think not so well known in the US. I have only found one other (older) post about them on here.

ORDERING PROCESS
I decided to get it after seeing and shooting with a couple here in Zurich. I chatted and placed the order via their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/iQcues/
The shafts are fully custom made for each customer - you choose the joint and tip diameter, length, joint collar etc
Dimitrios was very helpful and advised me based on my needs. My shaft is 29.5" long . 840 at the joint and 12.65 mm tip. It comes with a tip of your choice - Kamui Black, Zan, G2, Navigator and others are being offered. The price was 280 EUR + shipping and it included a joint collar to match my cue. My joint collar is white Juma, fancier rings etc might be extra cost.

SHIPPING AND DELIVERY
The payment was done via PayPal. The shaft took one week to complete and the shipping was next day. It came in a foam tube inside a thick cardboard tube. Very secure.

FIT AND IMPRESSIONS
Although I didn't send in the butt, it fits and matches perfectly. My cue has a 3/8x10 pin and at first it looked like it wouldn't fit. Dimitrios advised me to apply beeswax and screw it with no fear. It took a few minutes of work but now it fits nice and tight, I love it.

These shafts are made of old maple, I've been told his dowels are 15-20 years old. I'm not entirely sure of the technology, I believe there is a carbon fiber tenon or insert. The ferrules are 6 mm.

The standard taper is very stiff, it's the same thickness as the joint collar for the first few inches then it tapers down. I know this has been overused, but it feels and sounds no different than solid maple. It's stiffer that the 12.5 mm maple shaft it replaces.

Its LD properties are second to none. It has lower deflection and feels more solid than a Predator 314. Another player owns the IQ on a Predator butt with radial pin, and a Revo. He feels there is no difference in deflection between the two, and he likes them both for different reasons.

My confidence has gone up since I'm playing with it. After a week, I won 5-0 against a player that I had never won a match against Last weekend I went to the semi-finals of the local tournament. I feel that any shot I want to make, this shaft can execute it. 20180731_203730.jpeg20180731_203741.jpeg

Julian

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for writing up!

Good to hear you like the shaft so well :smile:
Do you know the construction method of this shaft? Having a ferrule that short made me wonder how the LD properties have been made. I'd guess it is hollowed out like most LD shafts but the ferrule would be in for a tough ride keeping the front end in one piece and staying on being so short. Unless it has a tenon going in the hollow, that is.

Regardless of how its made it is nice to see that people support these custom makers and are happy with what they get :rolleyes:

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice, glad you liked the shaft, I heard good things about them. Please make sure to come back with a follow-up review once you've given it some more time.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for writing up!

Good to hear you like the shaft so well
Do you know the construction method of this shaft? Having a ferrule that short made me wonder how the LD properties have been made. I'd guess it is hollowed out like most LD shafts but the ferrule would be in for a tough ride keeping the front end in one piece and staying on being so short. Unless it has a tenon going in the hollow, that is.

Regardless of how its made it is nice to see that people support these custom makers and are happy with what they get :rolleyes:
Like I wrote on my original post, there is a carbon fiber insert or tenon from what I know.

Julian

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
there is an carbon tenon from the ferrell end/tip to near the collar ring;)
I Play that shaft for over one year, the only one LD shaft that I can use, normally playing old School full Wood with less deflection:p
RG

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I wrote on my original post, there is a carbon fiber insert or tenon from what I know.

Julian

Oh, my eyes skipped a line reading your post the first time, sorry about that :embarrassed2:
That sounds like a nice concept in my opinion, I've thought of something very similiar aswell but lack the equipment to make it in to reality :(

Wofgang144

straight-pool lover
Hi,
I fully agree with the words about IQ and Dimitrios

I had a Cue made by IQ in 2017
Craftmenship and Quality is top notch playability ist as described in the prev. comments.

The Cue was made to my specs, len, dia, weight, tip, ferrule wood, design.
and it came out extactely as I ordered..

It's my preferred Player since then and serves very well

from Ger. Wolfgang

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,
I fully agree with the words about IQ and Dimitrios

I had a Cue made by IQ in 2017
Craftmenship and Quality is top notch playability ist as described in the prev. comments.

The Cue was made to my specs, len, dia, weight, tip, ferrule wood, design.
and it came out extactely as I ordered..

It's my preferred Player since then and serves very well

from Ger. Wolfgang
Could you post some pictures?

Julian

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking cue 2:

After playing with my son's Revo shaft, I was really having a good time with it since I could get more action on the cueball with it. Which made me start to think about getting one for my cue, but this shaft has me intrigued.
I can tell you that it draws like crazy! I had to dial it way down because sometimes I was overdrawing by half a table Of course the tip matters as well.

Julian

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can tell you that it draws like crazy! I had to dial it way down because sometimes I was overdrawing by half a table Of course the tip matters as well.

Julian

I think the the less the shaft bends the more action you get from the cueball, which is why the carbon fiber shafts which are more resistant to bending than wood, get more spin on the cueball with the same stroke. Pair that with a good layered tip and you are likely to get a really big difference in your spin action.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the the less the shaft bends the more action you get from the cueball, which is why the carbon fiber shafts which are more resistant to bending than wood, get more spin on the cueball with the same stroke. Pair that with a good layered tip and you are likely to get a really big difference in your spin action.
Replace "layered tip" with "hard tip". I don't think the cue ball cares whether it's layered or not

Julian

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been now playing for two weeks with my shaft from www.iqcues.gr

They are made in Athens, Greece by Dimitrios Kalogeras. He also makes beautiful complete cues. This is what Alex Kazakis shoots with. They are pretty popular in Northern and Southern Europe, but I think not so well known in the US. I have only found one other (older) post about them on here.

ORDERING PROCESS
I decided to get it after seeing and shooting with a couple here in Zurich. I chatted and placed the order via their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/iQcues/
The shafts are fully custom made for each customer - you choose the joint and tip diameter, length, joint collar etc
Dimitrios was very helpful and advised me based on my needs. My shaft is 29.5" long . 840 at the joint and 12.65 mm tip. It comes with a tip of your choice - Kamui Black, Zan, G2, Navigator and others are being offered. The price was 280 EUR + shipping and it included a joint collar to match my cue. My joint collar is white Juma, fancier rings etc might be extra cost.

SHIPPING AND DELIVERY
The payment was done via PayPal. The shaft took one week to complete and the shipping was next day. It came in a foam tube inside a thick cardboard tube. Very secure.

FIT AND IMPRESSIONS
Although I didn't send in the butt, it fits and matches perfectly. My cue has a 3/8x10 pin and at first it looked like it wouldn't fit. Dimitrios advised me to apply beeswax and screw it with no fear. It took a few minutes of work but now it fits nice and tight, I love it.

These shafts are made of old maple, I've been told his dowels are 15-20 years old. I'm not entirely sure of the technology, I believe there is a carbon fiber tenon or insert. The ferrules are 6 mm.

The standard taper is very stiff, it's the same thickness as the joint collar for the first few inches then it tapers down. I know this has been overused, but it feels and sounds no different than solid maple. It's stiffer that the 12.5 mm maple shaft it replaces.

Its LD properties are second to none. It has lower deflection and feels more solid than a Predator 314. Another player owns the IQ on a Predator butt with radial pin, and a Revo. He feels there is no difference in deflection between the two, and he likes them both for different reasons.

My confidence has gone up since I'm playing with it. After a week, I won 5-0 against a player that I had never won a match against Last weekend I went to the semi-finals of the local tournament. I feel that any shot I want to make, this shaft can execute it. View attachment 497477View attachment 497478

Julian

I've played one before. It's been a bit though.

IMO, people that want the performance of LD cues but cannot get past the dead feeling and sound of extremely low LD shaft like the revo and becue, well, they would probably be better off with the IQ or "ANY other cue" that is old wood with pretty much "ANY type rod inside it" that will keep the weight down but still be stiff.

To me, the performance of the IQ was in between solid maple and super-LD shafts.

So, if a person wants really low LD the IQ is a no, but if they want a some LD performance and still have the solid maple feel/sound, the IQ is a yes.

My thoughts on the IQ:

I do not like "some" deflection. I like either solid maple or LD all the way but have a problem with anything in the middle.

I have a friend though......that has two of them and plays very well with them.

They are just another shaft. Some will like them, some love them, some hate them and then some that do not really care either way.

Bottom line:

I'm glad you found a cue you like. I'm sure you will do great with it.

Rake

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played one before. It's been a bit though.

IMO, people that want the performance of LD cues but cannot get past the dead feeling and sound of extremely low LD shaft like the revo and becue, well, they would probably be better off with the IQ or "ANY other cue" that is old wood with pretty much "ANY type rod inside it" that will keep the weight down but still be stiff.

To me, the performance of the IQ was in between solid maple and super-LD shafts.

So, if a person wants really low LD the IQ is a no, but if they want a some LD performance and still have the solid maple feel/sound, the IQ is a yes.

My thoughts on the IQ:

I do not like "some" deflection. I like either solid maple or LD all the way but have a problem with anything in the middle.

I have a friend though......that has two of them and plays very well with them.

They are just another shaft. Some will like them, some love them, some hate them and then some that do not really care either way.

Bottom line:

I'm glad you found a cue you like. I'm sure you will do great with it.

Rake
It's an interesting point of view. To me, it has many advantages. It's fully customizable so you can have it made to match your joint diameter and cue. You can choose the length, taper, and tip diameter. So if you want it to be 29 3/4 in with 12.57 mm tip you can have that.
Revo is only available with Predator joints, and it's double the price.

And let's be clear low deflection does not mean no deflection. Revo also has some deflection.

Julian

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an interesting point of view. To me, it has many advantages. It's fully customizable so you can have it made to match your joint diameter and cue. You can choose the length, taper, and tip diameter. So if you want it to be 29 3/4 in with 12.57 mm tip you can have that.
Revo is only available with Predator joints, and it's double the price.

And let's be clear low deflection does not mean no deflection. Revo also has some deflection.

Julian

The IQ is a fine cue. Just not for everyone's taste. No one particular shaft will be for everyone's taste.

Most like something different.

Yes, like "any" wood shaft the IQ can be altered very easily.

Revo taper is what what they offer only but any cue maker can put any pin in a revo, no problem.

As for the Becue, they are c.f. and they, like IQ, will work with customer on tapers, length and diameters. They will even send it with no pin so you can can have it done by local maker.

Again, IQ is fine cue for the money. A friend went with IQ because it was so much cheaper but he says that he really likes it.

BTW, he plays very strong. He can, on most days, match me rack for rack playing ghost.

I'm glad you are happy with the IQ. I'm sure you will become good player with it.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you've got a very good playing shaft. I know how old maple shaft performs because I've built a few and I'm playing with one. It's 31" with the insert and c.f. rod at the joint and c.f. tube at the tip & no ferrule. It's very stiff and really powerful in spite of fact it's 31". As for LD properties I'm completely satisfied I've played all my best years before with maple shafts with the deflection being fairly high.
So I can assure you the most important thing is your satisfaction with your performance and your confidence while playing with this shaft and you don't need anybody's recognition for this. You know what is even more important and what most of the players are striving for? Consistency ...and it is more about consistency in your stroke (technique), your concentration level because here I'm sure your shaft is very consistent until it's the same tip, taper... There are so many much more important things which will make you a better player... So I wish you to enjoy playing with your new shaft ;)