no handicap league. how to run it?

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to start a league amongst 16 of my friends, whom are all skilled pool players, and pay back all the money.
What format is the easiest?
Should it just be total ball count?
How should I pay out the money?
Should I do a/b flights to different goals?
APA is huge around here, can I translate handicaps somehow? Maybe 9 ball handicaps times 10 for a total ball number?
I want it to be easy and fun.

Thanks for any input

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I want to start a league amongst 16 of my friends, whom are all skilled pool players, and pay back all the money.
What format is the easiest?
Should it just be total ball count?
How should I pay out the money?
Should I do a/b flights to different goals?
APA is huge around here, can I translate handicaps somehow? Maybe 9 ball handicaps times 10 for a total ball number?
I want it to be easy and fun.

Thanks for any input
There is another thread about this that has become active again. For an article about 14.1 handicapping, see http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2003.pdf

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at what Bob mentioned but I think a simple system is start everyone going to 100. Win 2 in a row add 5 to what the player goes to so they got to 105. Lose 2 in a row take 5 off thus 95. If on a streak a third win or loss repeats to the handicap, a loss or win breaks the streak. Set a reasonable floor perhaps 50 if you have players much weaker than the rest.

As to what to count for winning the league perhaps base the above system dived final score by distince expected gives a percentage multiply this by a 100 and add up per week. So if you are going to 95 and win you take 95/95*100 = 100 for the week. If you are going to 110 and lose scoring only 92 take 92/110 * 100 = 83.6 so ~84 pts don't round just add up total. Call this the adjusted ball count. Add the adjusted ball count together for all matches highest total wins if there is a tie then total games won then have a playoff game.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In my local 14.1 league, players were dropped into 3 or more divisions that correlate to beginner, intermediate, advanced, and god level. Beginners could be a race to 50, intermediate a race to 75, advanced players a race to 100, and beyond. During the regular part of the season, everyone plays straight up and within their division.

After 12-16 weeks of match history, now you can go into the playoffs and give out handicaps so everyone will have an fair chance of winning.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my local 14.1 league, players were dropped into 3 or more divisions that correlate to beginner, intermediate, advanced, and god level. Beginners could be a race to 50, intermediate a race to 75, advanced players a race to 100, and beyond. During the regular part of the season, everyone plays straight up and within their division.

After 12-16 weeks of match history, now you can go into the playoffs and give out handicaps so everyone will have an fair chance of winning.

Around here there will typically 8-12 players who show up each week, so divisions would be a little sparse. How many people play in your league?