Jerry Brock passed away this morning

taimedowne

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am very sad to post that the great Jerry Brock passed away this morning. Preyers go out to his wife and family. Jerry was one of the best players there was at one time.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
A great player and person.

I'll miss him, and also "story time with Jerry". The man had some stories.

I am very sad to post that the great Jerry Brock passed away this morning. Preyers go out to his wife and family. Jerry was one of the best players there was at one time.

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
Is this the same guy that used to make cues out of Jacksonville, NC? I was stationed there in Camp Lejeune. I visited his shop a few times when my friend bought a cue from him. I wasn't into pool back then (2002). I started to get interested in pool when I saw my friend hustling all the Marines on base.

taimedowne

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is this the same guy that used to make cues out of Jacksonville, NC? I was stationed there in Camp Lejeune. I visited his shop a few times when my friend bought a cue from him. I wasn't into pool back then (2002). I started to get interested in pool when I saw my friend hustling all the Marines on base.

Yes that is the same guy.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jerry was a top money player, one of the best of his era. He would take on ANYBODY for the cash! He was a good guy to gamble with too, just got down on his belly and played hard, win or lose. If you somehow managed to beat him he would hustle up some money and play you again. Not too many guys got the best of him though. He was usually the one leaving with the cash. If I saw him in action I bet on him every time! David Matlock and Wade Crane are the only two guys that I knew of to beat him on a bar table. Jerry was a real player!

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Jerry at a little $5 8-ball tournament in Mobile, AL just a few months ago. I had never heard of him. We started talking and ended up playing some $50 then $100 one pocket, with me still not knowing who he was. Eight hours later I was 2 games winner when the joint was closing. He handed me the $200 and complimented me on my game and demeanor. The next day I was in NOLA and happened to mention Jerry to someone in Buffalos. It was then I found out who he was and although I had won, I wasn't supposed to!

I have knocked balls around with him a few times since then with the most recent being last week. It was always fun to play one pocket with him, but the best part was always the conversation. He was a wise and insightful man. I feel lucky to have met him, befriended him, and gained enough of his trust for him to share a few of his thoughts of life and philosophies!

I didn't know him long but I will surely miss him! He was, indeed, a great poolplayer, but more than that, he was a great human being! Rest In Peace, Jerry! I look forward to seeing you again someday!
:sad:

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry and I were buddies

I've known Jeery for over 50 years, a real great player and even better person. He will be missed by many including me !

UGOTDA7

Ban pending.....
Silver Member
Ran into him once years ago in Fayetteville, NC at a Mickey's (strip joint) tournament....one of the monthly ones if I remember correctly. I didn't know who he was, had never seen or heard of him. He put me into the loser's bracket but I made it back to the finals where he was waiting for me. I talked a little smack about how I was going to double him up and take the win......well, I didn't LOL.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will always regard Jerry as one of the greatest money players of all time

Jerry Brock was one of the best players and strongest minded men I've ever had the pleasure of calling a friend. We spent many hours together in Mobile the last few years and first met when he was living in Memphis.

Jerry spotted me the 7 ball on the big table and break on the bar table, which showed a tremendous amount of heart. I will always regard Jerry as one of the greatest money players of all time, a master of many games on all size tables.

This is very sad news to me and I wish his family condolences and his many friends in the pool world.

Rest in Peace, Jerry.....GodSpeed

jsparks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really hate that about Mr. Brock.I met him yrs ago in Jackson,Ms. He was a MONSTER on the bar box!!!! RIP

gbru

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent several enjoyable evenings with Jerry and his wife at my home. He loved mustard greens and other home cooking and I obliged him when he was able to come. And, yes, he had some great stories.

We would often play one pocket after we had eaten and he sure made it look easy. He had that little half-push, stroke but with a ton of power and follow through.

Jerry was one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. A true gentleman. You could trust Jerry Brock.

RIP...my good friend.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all my traveling, I had missed this about Jerry Brock. Met him back when I was young. In 78 it was, in Mobile . I was playing a gent called Ocho for good bit of money. Jerry was sitting there clocking my speed. He was a good friend of my road partner at that time and he steered us around the area for about 2 to 3 weeks. Later he moved to around Fayeteville NC and got see him a lot more around there and later in Greensboro NC. That's where I first saw Wade Crane playing top speed ,while playing Jerry. Jerry was always top notch, in playing and his demenior. Sorry to have seen this had happened, was wanting to head down that way and spend some time and catch up on old times.
Thanks to Tim Daniels for pointing this out to me

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
im the guy with chip in his post and was a good friend of jerrys and did some scufflin with him around the cleveland ohio area. i lost track with him over the years and was saddened to hear of his death. that boy sure could play! cwas wondering if anyone on here knows his wifes name cuz he met a lady in cleveland who i think he married. her name was Sharon. She was a barmaid at the wastside action bar called "Guys and Dolls" owned by Tony Chicatelli.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never had the privilege nor pleasure of knowing Jerry Brock.
yet it's easy to tell he was liked, loved and sadly, now missed by so many.

His family and friends have a hole in their heart that may shrink in time.
But rest assured, it never heals completely because a part of it was lost with Jerry's passing.

One thing that helps heal this horrible wound that hurts so much right now is talking about Jerry.
Who was he, what he meant to you, what he did for others, etc.....hearing your personal anecdotes.

Jerry was special to so many and it would be great to learn more about him......it's his legacy just as
assuredly this identically applies to all of us.....how we're remembered & recalled is what matters most.

The loving words expressed about Jerry attest to him being more than just a worthwhile person. Jerry
was important to so many and so please when the time is right, come back & share some anecdotes.

Matt B