Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Started Playing Pool

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
It takes over all of your free time.

Even when you're on a team, you're still on your own.

It's a very alpha-oriented sport.

It can be extremely expensive.

You are always going to need a bigger room if you want to play at home.

Pets & Pool are usually a bad idea.

Everyone thinks they should teach you.

The better you get, the more your non-playing friends will look down on you for it.

You will never be able to pay the bills with it.

You will stay awake nights thinking about a single shot you missed instead of enjoying the other 99 you made.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

The better you get, the more your non-playing friends will look down on you for it.

Great post. I've altered your post to apply to GOLF, with one minor change:

You will stay awake nights thinking about a single shot you made instead of dreading the other 99 you missed.

LOL

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here's one more:

The other guys all think they're better than they are. That's OK since you do too.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Here's one more:

The other guys all think they're better than they are. That's OK since you do too.

Good one and so true. Ego is a huge factor in pool. Being a good money player is only possible if you check your ego at the door, so that you can judge someone's speed, including your own, very accurately.

To go along with that one, I would say that pool players tend to tell everyone that their very BEST level of play is actually their AVERAGE level of play. LOL

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
level of play

Good one and so true. Ego is a huge factor in pool. Being a good money player is only possible if you check your ego at the door, so that you can judge someone's speed, including your own, very accurately.

To go along with that one, I would say that pool players tend to tell everyone that their very BEST level of play is actually their AVERAGE level of play. LOL

94% of pool players play better than average. I know because they have told me so!

Hu

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
‘The better you get, the more your non-playing friends will look down on you for it.‘

Not really. The more you realize that, like with most hobbies, nobody else cares. What’s important in my world has zero influence in the greater universe.

If I made a 147 in Snooker, it would be overshadowed by our dog balancing a ball on his nose. I understand this as I have zero interest in pro sports. I’d rather watch a funny cat video than a baseball pitcher throw a perfect game.

‘Pets and pool are a bad idea’. Actually it’s funny because because one of the pro Snooker commentators said that the best Chinese Player (ding) was off his game since becoming a father. Kids and billiards are a bad idea.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

You will stay awake nights thinking about a single shot you missed instead of enjoying the other 99 you made.

If it bothers you that much then give it up
or take up golf

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
And yet...knowing all these truths now...you still play. Funny how it works that way, isn't it?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all good, if we didn't obsess over this game, it would be something else. When all things considered, this is pretty good therapy and good way spend some time with family and friends while we take our trips around the sun.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game is ALOT more difficult than most of us admit- because we think we can conquer it- but then again, that is where the challenge comes in and keeps us coming back for more punishment.

The analogies to golf are very close- In both games, MOST participants HAVE to love the game to keep playing regularly over many years and HAVE to love the challenge. When you get REALLY good at either game- the motivator ( different from the pure joy of the game that you feel) The motivator- is that somewhere in your mind- you think you are one step away from greatness- mostly that may be an illusion- but that's OK- I can think of a lot worse pursuits in life than just trying to be great at something you love!

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all good, if we didn't obsess over this game, it would be something else. When all things considered, this is pretty good therapy and good way spend some time with family and friends while we take our trips around the sun.

Agree, there is nothing wrong with an obsession if it has positive results. We have a great social circle largely because of billiards. Nice people.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
One thing I will say about pool or golf or most skills. Take whatever you think it takes to get really good and at least double it. Then try it and double it again. Maybe even double it again after that.

Then ask yourself if you're willing to commit that much of your life to just one thing, at the expense of everything else, knowing you will probably still fail. Some people are willing to do what it takes, but the vast majority of us won't make that kind of sacrifice or take that large of a gamble.

Last edited:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Definitely agree with golf. Archery too. Shooting was never as mental for me, it always seemed somehow natural. I wonder about tennis as it's also quite complex in how technical a shot actually is.

Also hoping to see some other people's lists.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member

If you want to be a world beater, you should have been a monster at 13 years old old.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to be a world beater, you should have been a monster at 13 years old old.

Well, yes, either that- as many were in pool, or during high school years sort of dropped out of main society and basically lived for playing pool. There are a few exceptions- but not many. Most greats in all sports were completely committed during their youth or at a minimum by age 18 - very few exceptions for sure -

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It won't get you laid.

pj <- voice of experience
chgo

Maybe for you................but I have got plenty of ass by being around the pool rooms... Usually from the cute waitresses and bartenders either directly or from their friends. I May have caught a lil' something once or twice too:(

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The Diminishing Return in Pool.

Sounds like a book title. A true story.