Shaw-Archer Mandatory Push-Out Accu-Stats Match-up

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen a thread yet about the Accu-Stats ten-ball match last night in which the first shot after the break had to be a push-out. One thing which everyone anticipated did come about. The mandatory push-out kept things close until the very end.

I didn't think to do this, and I realize the sample would be insignificantly small, but still, did anyone keep track of how many times a player who accepted the push-out won the game versus how many times the player who rejected the position after the push-out did?

Did people enjoy the match? I was glued. No, I am not a basketball fan.

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
What's the purpose of mandatory push out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed the match. Thought the push out made it slightly more interesting, but wasn't a world of difference.

Best part by far IMO was the 30 sec clock with no extensions. It kept archer in check and added a bit of excitement from a spectators perspective.

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear "Charlie Hustle" and "GeoEnvi"--

For those who haven't seen the match yet and are going to watch it in replay, stop reading here! I'm going to give the ending away.

The race was to 21. I may be wrong, but my recollection is that the match was tied 17-17 when one player pulled away to 20-17. The other player then, I think, won one more game and then missed an amazingly simple shot (a real hanger!) to fail to get the score to 19-20. The ten ball was boxed up in the pocket and the other player, at 20, just knocked it in for the match. My recollection may be a little imperfect about the exact numbers, but you get the idea.

The reason for the mandatory push-out after the break is to neutralize the advantage of breaking. It prevents one player from just running racks without the other player getting a chance to shoot. The match was tied up something like fourteen different times.

The match lasted just over four hours, and I wonder if fatigue may have had something to do with the play towards the end.

Shaw won.

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched

I did not like it at all. almost always if the breaker made a ball then made other guy push. if no ball made then made the breaker push. If one player ever got up 3 games it prob would have been over. Almost no way to catch up. even with the shot clock game seemed slow.

The 10 ft table makes the game tough enough, no need for the pushouts. they both missed a few easy balls, played great safties.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
What's the purpose of mandatory push out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're just trying something different, I think.

Some people like watching players break-and-run as much as possible. Some people like more of a battle between the players. Mandatory push-out is for the latter.

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear "I Used to Be Rich,"

I am ordinarily opposed to a shot clock in pool. I even wrote recently in a thread, "Shot clocks belong in football and basketball. Having a shot clock in pool is like having a shot clock in baseball." But I have to agree with you about last night. I loved the fluidity of the match.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is not broken!

I think some believe that the mandatory push-out places an emphasis on strategy and cue ball control. The players that have one pocket-style skills will benefit from it. Also, it likely will put more older players (more seasoned) back in the game a little.

This may help american pool overall because we only have one real player with name recognition playing. But, the real problem with that is there isn't any money in pool to get many talented players competing against high caliber players that they need to in order to stay mentally fit.

Of course, there will be many people disagree with me and that is ok. I don't think pool is broken. It is fine like it is. It is just that we have to figure out how to introduce the game to millions of consumers. Hint...it can't happen without coordination between the pool industry, pro players, and us hacks. I don't think it is us hacks failure. My vote would about the players is still pending. And the industry is just short-sighted.

The good side? Lots of people trying different things, like mandatory push out. That shows how flexible the pool game is.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed the match. Thought the push out made it slightly more interesting, but wasn't a world of difference.

Best part by far IMO was the 30 sec clock with no extensions. It kept archer in check and added a bit of excitement from a spectators perspective.

I liked the 30-second clock and the way it was implemented. 30 seconds to size up the layout, make your decision, and get down on the shot, but all the time in the world to execute once you were down.

Jayson is a fast shooting son-of-a-gun, so I thought it would favor him, but in the end, Johnny was up to the task and I don't think he suffered any real disadvantage from the clock.

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
except the

I liked the 30-second clock and the way it was implemented. 30 seconds to size up the layout, make your decision, and get down on the shot, but all the time in the world to execute once you were down.

Jayson is a fast shooting son-of-a-gun, so I thought it would favor him, but in the end, Johnny was up to the task and I don't think he suffered any real disadvantage from the clock.

foul he took early in the match because of it.

jhugo

Registered
Re:

I am new to pool and have watched only 1/2 dozen of these pay per view events different folks put on. I thought this was the best. Great quality, shot clock and short breaks kept it really moving, the commentators were the best that I have heard so far - especially the older gentlemen Danny - extremely knowledgeable - I loved how he almost always could predict the shot and position effort of the players and he was pretty close to right every time when he thought they were making a mistake. I thought the push-out made for a really interesting match with lots of safeties and great kicks, banks, maybe I'm alone but I enjoyed it far more than the last TAR match I watched.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I am new to pool and have watched only 1/2 dozen of these pay per view events different folks put on. I thought this was the best. Great quality, shot clock and short breaks kept it really moving, the commentators were the best that I have heard so far - especially the older gentlemen Danny - extremely knowledgeable - I loved how he almost always could predict the shot and position effort of the players and he was pretty close to right every time when he thought they were making a mistake. I thought the push-out made for a really interesting match with lots of safeties and great kicks, banks, maybe I'm alone but I enjoyed it far more than the last TAR match I watched.

Thx for your imput. Allot of hard core pool players are unwilling to look at the game from another perspective, when in fact your demographic group is what will either make or keep the game where its at. Again thanks for your thoughts of what you saw from a NON PLAYER perspective.

upindaklub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear "I Used to Be Rich,"

I am ordinarily opposed to a shot clock in pool. I even wrote recently in a thread, "Shot clocks belong in football and basketball. Having a shot clock in pool is like having a shot clock in baseball." But I have to agree with you about last night. I loved the fluidity of the match.

Baseball actually has a clock in that the pitcher must deliver the ball within 12 seconds after he receives the ball, provided the bases are empty.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/pitcher_8.jsp

"When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire."

The problem is the umpires rarely if ever enforce this rule which causes MLB games to go on far too long IMHO.

However I do get your point.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i cant break worth 2 cents, so yeah i love that rule,

SVB might not because he has the best break I have ever saw in 28 years, Period!! and that would slow his roll a lot.

With that in mind, i say we cancel the current rules and make push after the break the new standard.:thumbup: