Reflections on the Mosconi Cup

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There ain't nothing like it in the Pool World! It's the biggest and best Pool party of all time, thrown by Barry Hearn. It really is a celebration of the game, framed in a very exciting (the MOST exciting) pool match.

I'm glad to be a part of this and I thoroughly enjoyed talking about the matches while they were being played. If I was sitting in the stands watching I would be doing the same thing with whoever was sitting next to me. After the matches all us pool buffs got together and discussed the play from the day's matches and rarely did we all agree on what took place and why. But that's half the fun, just talking about all the cool pool that we just saw. Some pretty sharp pool minds here and some interesting insights on why one team is winning and the other losing.

Team Europe is just so cohesive and supportive of each other. From the opening match when they let out a collective yell to kick things off, they were all there for each other in every match. They appear to love their new captain Marcus Chamat and I could tell they wanted to win it for him as well. Marcus was an inspirational force for his team and put his heart and soul into the victory. You could see how much it meant to him. He had his heart on his sleeve here.

Team USA was probably the most "together" US team I've seen in years, in terms of how they supported each other. Shane was almost like a co-captain in the way he acted when the young guys were playing. I've never seem him got so involved before. Both teams were a little slow getting started and the play on the first two days was spotty, with Team Europe better overall. On days three and four everything picked up and the competition got fierce. It was a real dog fight and I loved it. Every match and every game was a battle right down to the nine ball. I'm really proud of our warriors for how they just wouldn't give up. I thought Shane, Justin and Skyler really put Europe to the test in every match. Mike D. had his troubles early on but warmed to the battle after that. He's a much better and more mature player than he was in his previous Mosconi Cup appearance. I have a feeling he will only get better as well. He's going to be a force in future Mosconi Cups, mark my words. Oh how I wanted to see him play that last match, if Skyler had only won against Albin. Mike was primed and ready for Nick. You could feel it.

Though they lost 11-7, but for a couple of key shots they may have forced a tie breaker. Team USA needs to work on their safety play and kicking, two areas where they were consistently out played. I'm already looking forward to next year in London. I'd like to see the same team back with maybe one new player.

The "after party" was a blast, with all the players from both sides showing how much respect they have for each other. All of them love being part of this great event, because it's so much more than just another pool tournament. It's a true celebration of the game we've given our life to. Highlights for me were seeing Marcus get up on the counter and do an impromptu victory dance and all Team Europe getting up and rocking to the music of Niels Feijen. Yes you heard me right, Niels was the disc jockey this evening and he was spinning it with the best of them, leading the festivities with a huge grin the whole time, even sporting pink shades for a while. Niels has SOUL in case you didn't know!

Big thanks again to Barry and Luke and the entire Matchroom crew who make the Mosconi happen. Pool is better because of you guys!

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
There ain't nothing like it in the Pool World! It's the biggest and best Pool party of all time, thrown by Barry Hearn. It really is a celebration of the game, framed in a very exciting (the MOST exciting) pool match.

I'm glad to be a part of this and I thoroughly enjoyed talking about the matches while they were being played. If I was sitting in the stands watching I would be doing the same thing with whoever was sitting next to me. After the matches all us pool buffs got together and discussed the play from the day's matches and rarely did we all agree on what took place and why. But that's half the fun, just talking about all the cool pool that we just saw. Some pretty sharp pool minds here and some interesting insights on why one team is winning and the other losing.

Team Europe is just so cohesive and supportive of each other. From the opening match when they let out a collective yell to kick things off they were all there for each other in every match. They appear to love their new captain Marcus Chamat and I could tell they wanted to win it for him as well. Marcus was an inspirational force on his team and put his heart and soul into the victory. You could see how much it meant to him. He had his heart on his sleeve here.

More to come

Looking forward to the "more to come". I was hoping to get a chance to talk with you like 2013 but the cup was a little different this year. I can't wait for 2017.

DJ62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, I totally agree with you that the USA was outplayed in the kicking and safety play department. I would say that it may have been the deciding factor.

I'm not sure if the viewers who were not at the event got to see the European team pick up Albin Oushcan after his winning shot in the last match, carry him around the table and then throw him out of the playing arena and into the arms of the European fans, but that was pretty cool.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, got to ask. Do you think the event would dramatically change if it went to call shot call safe 10 ball?

Thanks

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, got to ask. Do you think the event would dramatically change if it went to call shot call safe 10 ball?

Thanks

Matchroom has it right! For all of you who think short race 9-Ball is bad for pool on TV, I disagree. I may have agreed at one time but after doing many of these shows, I realize that Barry Hearn and Matchroom have the best formula. In a short race everything is magnified. One mistake can prove costly. Thus the pressure factor is amped up considerably and we get to see who holds up best under pressure.

Racking the nine on the spot makes the break and run a lot more difficult, as controlling the break shot is no longer a given. Take a look at the stats. By far most games have multiple innings and long safety battles were common. This makes for interesting pool and calls on all the skills the best players have (i.e. kicking, safeties, jumps etc.).

To answer your question, an emphatic NO! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Last edited:

bicki

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
imho, the Mosconi Cup is by far the best pool event every year!! It is a real pool party, promoted like a boxing showdown. I am very grateful to Barry Hearn and Matchroomsport to host this event every year.

@Jay Helfert:
re having the formula right... I had differing opinions in the past, but the older I get the more I realize that short race 9-ball, no call-shot is the only way pool can be broadcasted to a wider audience. I am sad to say this, but it's the truth. So in my view, you are spot on Jay. btw, I am very happy with your commentary...

What I would really change though is the 30 sec shot clock! A) it is too short at times to get a fair attempt on the next shot. B) The alarming sound is panic-inducing and therefore distracting! Suggestion: Allow for 40 secs, choose a soft sound and dont apply the rule strictly. i.e. if the player is down on the shot, let them shoot even if the shot clock has run down.

Since the races are very short anyway, we shud not cause situations in which points get lost coz the players have to rush so much. When the extension is gone, you sometimes just don't have enough time to decide whether to jump or kick and then prepare properly. Although the current circumstance surely add to the excitement of the viewers, I find it wrong and it shud be addressed.

Looking forward to a great event next year!
bicki

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
imho, the Mosconi Cup is by far the best pool event every year!! It is a real pool party, promoted like a boxing showdown. I am very grateful to Barry Hearn and Matchroomsport to host this event every year.

@Jay Helfert:
re having the formula right... I had differing opinions in the past, but the older I get the more I realize that short race 9-ball, no call-shot is the only way pool can be broadcasted to a wider audience. I am sad to say this, but it's the truth. So in my view, you are spot on Jay. btw, I am very happy with your commentary...

What I would really change though is the 30 sec shot clock! A) it is too short at times to get a fair attempt on the next shot. B) The alarming sound is panic-inducing and therefore distracting! Suggestion: Allow for 40 secs, choose a soft sound and dont apply the rule strictly. i.e. if the player is down on the shot, let them shoot even if the shot clock has run down.

Since the races are very short anyway, we shud not cause situations in which points get lost coz the players have to rush so much. When the extension is gone, you sometimes just don't have enough time to decide whether to jump or kick and then prepare properly. Although the current circumstance surely add to the excitement of the viewers, I find it wrong and it shud be addressed.

Looking forward to a great event next year!
bicki

I tend to agree with you there. Accu-Stats uses a 40 second shot clock and that seems like more than enough time for a player to fully prepare for his next shot without having to rush. Thirty seconds is okay when you have an open rack but when the going gets tough you could use the extra ten seconds.

Stew_Pidaso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that hill/hill matches should be given 2 extensions. I am confident that if Justin had an extension on that last kick, he would have either 1) made the ball, or 2) kicked 2 rails such that if the 8 didn't go, it would have banked to the end rail and force Neil to place safe or bank the 8. He rushed that last kick and didn't give it his normal level of skill at kicking which is one of the best among American players.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow, I only just saw this.

Nice write up, Jay. It was great seeing you and catching up. Looking forward to seeing you at the Derby next month.

As you've noted, and as I noted in my trip report, defense and kicking are where we got outplayed so thoroughly that it hurt. That's what we must work on for next year.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to agree with you there. Accu-Stats uses a 40 second shot clock and that seems like more than enough time for a player to fully prepare for his next shot without having to rush. Thirty seconds is okay when you have an open rack but when the going gets tough you could use the extra ten seconds.

I have no problem with the shot clock but I believe that in hill/hill matches it should be done away with.. Let them play it out. What's the hurry at that point.

P.S. Nice commentating Jay. Very enjoyable. You do it well for the experienced players and for the general viewers.