What to know when ordering carbon tubes???

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never even seen a carbon fiber tube/shaft though have some familiarity with the material from aviation apps.

So, if a person was thinking of trying CF shaft, what do they need to know?
I guess my basic question is, how many ways are there to make CF shafts, and (if there are different methods) what are the advantages of each.

As a simple example,(& I have no idea if it even applies to cues) a tube could be made of rolled up fabric. Or it could be all long-ways rovings. Or possibly a combo. It could also be spun on a mandrel, essentially bias -ply woven-in-place to bias the stiffness properties beyond even what the taper gives to gain certain effects. (Or eliminate them).

Certainly there would be the possibility with any lay-up process to bias thicknesses.
There's also the question, is there an ideal wall thickness? Do you need to know what the resin is?
Etc?

So what is commonly done, what are the advantages, and how do you assess from the comfort of your computer chair?.

One mechanical problem i have is that i believe the joint area is critical to energy transfer, and mine are larger diameter than common these days. Butt/forearm has an almost imperceptible hyperbolic taper to a .870, .865, 0r .860 (three sizes sanding mandrels depending on expected cue wt and tip dia); Shaft starts at .870 almost straight for about an inch, and then also hyperbolic taper down to last 12" where the taper changes about .006" to the specified tip dia. I realize that the CF taper is not in my control, but would need joint dia at or somewhat larger than .860.

Thanks!
smt