Should Mosconi Cup Event

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Proposal men and women represent Team USA.

Or separate men and women's Mosconi Cup events.

What would the best format for the olympics be?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mosconi Cup
Going co-ed has been tried with the Mosconi. In 1994, both teams had seven players. Team USA included both Jeanette Lee and Vivian Villareal, at the time the top two ranked players on the WPBA tour. Team Europe included Franziska Stark, then European 9-ball Champion and Allison Fisher, who was then in the process of switching from snooker to pool. The ladies did not match up with the men in singles, only matching up against each other.

In 1995, though the team size remained at seven players, each team consisted of seven men. One must infer that Matchroom concluded, either by observation or through its own market research, that the women's matches had not sufficiently captured the interest of the fans.

Olympics
Were pool to ever be included in the Olympics, it's probable they'd use the same format as the World Games used in pool. Presently, the men have a sixteen player single elimination tournament and the women have the same at the World Games.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Olympics would separate men/women like they do for all the sports.

As far as a format for billiards games, they would have to go with something like 8 ball, snooker and 3C as the games, with separate medals in each category like they do with skiing and other games with several disciplines. I don't think you can just go with only pool like 9 ball or 14.1 as the only game. 8 ball or maybe 9 ball is pretty much guaranteed since those are the only games that would keep the general population watching, at least in the US, and since snooker and 3C has a world-wide audience those need to be there for an overall cue sport event.

What I would love to see is a Mosconi cup event with some "legend" category players, say Archer and Strickland vs Soquet and Immonen or some of the older snooker players that played, in addition to the standard teams. Say 4 of the 11 matches would be by those older players.

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
Olympics would separate men/women like they do for all the sports.

As far as a format for billiards games, they would have to go with something like 8 ball, snooker and 3C as the games, with separate medals in each category like they do with skiing and other games with several disciplines. I don't think you can just go with only pool like 9 ball or 14.1 as the only game. 8 ball or maybe 9 ball is pretty much guaranteed since those are the only games that would keep the general population watching, at least in the US, and since snooker and 3C has a world-wide audience those need to be there for an overall cue sport event.

IOC might not look to kindly if the industry hasn't figured it out by now.

As for women, just because its not a main draw doesn't mean its not worth it.
Investing in women has a long term pay off.

Better to have all the players there and then find out what they should've done and how to make it better for fans/players next time.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'd prefer each side of the Mosconi cup team, pic One HOF member to be their 5th teammate.

To me that would be great for the game/audience and marketing.

justnum

Silver Member
I'd prefer each side of the Mosconi cup team, pic One HOF member to be their 5th teammate.

To me that would be great for the game/audience and marketing.

Earl Strickland is my top choice for HOF on Team USA.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't change a thing about the Mosconi cut team format. Its the only event that draws both huge in-person audiences and worldwide audiences each and every year.

justnum

Silver Member
I wouldn't change a thing about the Mosconi cut team format. Its the only event that draws both huge in-person audiences and worldwide audiences each and every year.

change i meant add on to mosconi cup

Mosconi Cup to me is world expo of billiards.

i plan to go one year.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
3 years ago I facebook chatted with 3 Pro-Ladies and none were interested in the Mosconi cup.
I tried watching it but it is drawn out a bit long. Understandable it's not Fast-Food games but like baseball, if you're not playing it, I tend to fall asleep. :boring2:

justnum

Silver Member
3 years ago I facebook chatted with 3 Pro-Ladies and none were interested in the Mosconi cup.
I tried watching it but it is drawn out a bit long. Understandable it's not Fast-Food games but like baseball, if you're not playing it, I tend to fall asleep. :boring2:

After COVID all pool players could use some action.
Im planning a pool tour of USA. After that I want to hit the major events.

justnum

Silver Member
Then buy my domain name, I'm puttin' it up for sale by Dec.

www.worldbilliardtour.com

still working through some concepts before purchasing domain name and becoming a lottery squatter.

How about a format mixed gender with pinch breaking.

Hall of fame Legends come in do a few breaks, let other pro run rack.
HOF can chat up a storm get an appearance fee while other pro does the leg work.