Kamui clear tips

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
YES!!!! they are not flat, they tend to have a bit of concave to them.
Dave

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes on a grade 00 surface plate. I've done hundreds of Kamui clears and have yet to see one that is truly flat.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is the purpose of the clear base? I might have missed any discussions on it when it first came out.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Does anyone know what type of glue Kamui uses to attach the clear pad?

You mean why doesn't it soak into the leather like it's supposed to prevent on the other side of it?

Very good question.

We could just use that adhesive for all our tip installs and solve the problem without needing a clear pad..

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean why doesn't it soak into the leather like it's supposed to prevent on the other side of it?

Very good question.

We could just use that adhesive for all our tip installs and solve the problem without needing a clear pad..

Couldn’t have said it better myself!!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Very good question.

If you are willing to wait . You can trim the tip within a minute f applying a good CA. Not so with contact cement.

The pad also protects ferrules from breaking or mushrooming ( yes, I've seen mushroomed ferrules ).
The most famous tip before Moori had a backing.
Backed tips have been around for a long time .

I'd love to use leather glue for all tip installs but people want their tips installed while they wait .

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you are willing to wait . You can trim the tip within a minute f applying a good ca. Not so with contact cement.

The pad also protects ferrules from breaking or mushrooming ( yes, i've seen mushroomed ferrules ).
The most famous tip before moori had a backing.

I'd love to use leather glue for all tip installs but people want their tips installed while they wait .

i use gel control super glue-
"and wait the recommended 5 minutes before trimmimg and shaping-
works great too

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
If you are willing to wait . You can trim the tip within a minute f applying a good CA. Not so with contact cement.

The pad also protects ferrules from breaking or mushrooming ( yes, I've seen mushroomed ferrules ).
The most famous tip before Moori had a backing.

So back to the question what glue do you suppose they use to attach the clear pad to the tip? Or more to the point what glue can we use that won't soak into the leather and still hold the tip forever? Assuming we don't mind waiting.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
So back to the question what glue do you suppose they use to attach the clear pad to the tip? Or more to the point what glue can we use that won't soak into the leather and still hold the tip forever? Assuming we don't mind waiting.
Titebond melamine glue.

barryr

Registered
Titebond melamine glue.

I normally use Loctite super glue Professional these days but just wondering how the Titebond Melamine goes glueing tips to a lot of these modern/semi modern materials used for ferrules or pads such as linen or canvas phenolic, bakelite, lbm, fiber pads, juma, pva, and of course the newer Predator silencer pads and vault plates which I had the odd difficulty with before swapping back to Loctite professional.

Have you used it much Joey ?

I'm happy enough with loctite pro but always keen to hear of others different experiences for interest and learning sake.