22 Great Vintage Pool Articles from Sports Illustrated

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
I just spent many,many hours gleaning all the top pool articles (22) from the newly released Sports Illustrated archives. They run chronologically from 1954 to 1978 and they include probably the greatest pool article of all-time, Tom Fox's, "A Hustler's Holiday in the Lion's Den," from 1961. The first, and best, Johnston City story. Lots of stories about Fatty, Wimpy, Danny Di, Lisciotti, Buddy, etc. (even me). It will provide hours of pleasurable reading, so sit back, relax and enjoy how it was in the old days. They can be accessed on my website at one of my new blog pages: www.poolarticlessportsillustrated.blogspot.com/

the Beard

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Alot of good stories there Freddy,I posted 4 or 5 of them up a month or so ago but you have been doing some digging! :D

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Thanks Len,

Fast Lenny said:
Alot of good stories there Freddy,I posted 4 or 5 of them up a month or so ago but you have been doing some digging! :D

Thanks Len, you are the one that got me started on the project. I was originally just looking for a particular article and I got carried away.

the Beard

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
Thanks Len, you are the one that got me started on the project. I was originally just looking for a particular article and I got carried away.

the Beard
Bump for some great stories you folks will love! :wink:

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SI articles

freddy the beard said:
I just spent many,many hours gleaning all the top pool articles (22) from the newly released Sports Illustrated archives. They run chronologically from 1954 to 1978 and they include probably the greatest pool article of all-time, Tom Fox's, "A Hustler's Holiday in the Lion's Den," from 1961. The first, and best, Johnston City story. Lots of stories about Fatty, Wimpy, Danny Di, Lisciotti, Buddy, etc. (even me). It will provide hours of pleasurable reading, so sit back, relax and enjoy how it was in the old days. They can be accessed on my website at one of my new blog pages: www.poolarticlessportsillustrated.blogspot.com/

the Beard
Thanks Freddy! Couldn't stop, read the entire group without getting out of the chair.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, Freddie, thanks a bunch!! Must have taken you hours. Bumping for people who may not have seen this yet.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It means the poster passed away

Freddy is no longer with us
Thanks for the clarification bud,

RIP to Freddy, seems like a real quality poster based on this thread alone, I wasn't sure that Bob was referring to him in his bump.

There have been a few members I have connected with since being here that have passed away, but the color of their names didn't change, (Neil comes to mind),

Shame when we lose someone here, btw, I don't think the articles are accessible anymore.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shame when we lose someone here, btw, I don't think the articles are accessible anymore.
I see that now. I actually started with the 1961 Johnston City article link in hand and it led me to this thread. My link to that above works right now.

If you want to see the other SI articles mentioned on Freddy's page, you will have to do a search on SI, I guess.

They are probably all on vault.si.com now.