Pantograph

daxe

custom cues & repair
Silver Member
What is the best old Pantograph to buy that a hobbie cue maker can get to cut inlays in old cues and new cues fairly cheap see a lot of them on EBAY but would like some opinons.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is the best old Pantograph to buy that a hobbie cue maker can get to cut inlays in old cues and new cues fairly cheap see a lot of them on EBAY but would like some opinons.
The Gorton 3U machines have done inlays in a lot of pool cues through the years.
I used to use one. A lot of the smaller ones you see will be hard to modify to do pool cues with. Some of the cue specific machines like I make are a little easier to do inlays and make patterns with. But if you also want to do fine engraving the 3U will do that much better.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen both Gorton and Diekel pantomills which may have cost as much as 35,000.00 new sell for as little as 500.00 used as they are obsolete equipment in todays machine shops. They may be larger or heavier than you have room for but nothing will do as precise of work other than a good, higher dollar CNC. The founder of the Gorton once engraved the entire Lord's prayer on the head of a pin. Often at machinery auctions these are sold for scrap metal prices.

Dick

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen both Gorton and Diekel pantomills which may have cost as much as 35,000.00 new sell for as little as 500.00 used as they are obsolete equipment in todays machine shops. They may be larger or heavier than you have room for but nothing will do as precise of work other than a good, higher dollar CNC. The founder of the Gorton once engraved the entire Lord's prayer on the head of a pin. Often at machinery auctions these are sold for scrap metal prices.

Dick

I have a Gorton P 1-2 I paid about $400.00 if I remember right. It came with the original paper work and cost $17,500.00. new. These things are dinosaurs to engravers and sign shops that coveted them so much before CNC. They can be found in back rooms covered with dust and they are glad to get rid of them. Some can even be converted to CNC if one chooses. I know Bludworth can do it.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Gorton P 1-2 I paid about $400.00 if I remember right. It came with the original paper work and cost $17,500.00. new. These things are dinosaurs to engravers and sign shops that coveted them so much before CNC. They can be found in back rooms covered with dust and they are glad to get rid of them. Some can even be converted to CNC if one chooses. I know Bludworth can do it.

A good tip - there are plenty of kits available for converting manual mills
to CNC. Probably could be done for a few hundred $s - or not.

Dale