purple heart playing shaft?

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
What would the playing characteristics of a purple heart shaft be for regular cue, not for a break cue? What do y'all think?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too stiff. There might be some weight/balance issues.
Generally speaking a purpleheart shaft weights atleast 1oz more than a maple shaft.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Kim said. Using average purpleheart and hard maple densities, a 3.75 oz maple shaft (which is very typical) would weigh 4.85 if it was purpleheart. That is enough to throw off the feel of a cue in terms of both weight and balance.

PH has some popularity for break and jump shafts because it is stiffer than hard maple (and it looks cool). The diameter can go thinner for comfort while still being very stiff.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I played with one for about six months. They are stiff but play well. The only time I could see an advantage to playing with one is. If someone wanted a long pro taper and wanted it a little stiffer than maple. The long pro taper would off set the added weight of the purple heart. It is a good conversation starter.

Larry

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a bit of different opinion

the ph shaft is NOT too stiff to use as a playing shaft imo. it might seen that way to a person if they were playing wth a mooch, or accustom to playing with a real whippy shaft.
now as far as weight, the cue pictured is normal size at joint, has a constant taper and has a 12 3/4 mm tip. the shaft weights 4.01 oz. i have many maple shafts the same size that arer over 4.25 oz.
most players don't like the look, other than that they play just fine if you like a very solid shaft.

Attachments

• P2070672.jpg
    P2070672.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,030
  • P2080675.jpg
    P2080675.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,006
  • P2080678.jpg
    P2080678.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 995

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds like a good option for me then. I like the feel of thinner shafts but not how they play. I also prefer forward balance, so if i bought a purple shaft and had it at 11.25 it would play like a thicker mapke and give a little bit more forward weight still?

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
This sounds like a good option for me then. I like the feel of thinner shafts but not how they play. I also prefer forward balance, so if i bought a purple shaft and had it at 11.25 it would play like a thicker mapke and give a little bit more forward weight still?

Yes

Larry

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Your cue

the ph shaft is NOT too stiff to use as a playing shaft imo. it might seen that way to a person if they were playing wth a mooch, or accustom to playing with a real whippy shaft.
now as far as weight, the cue pictured is normal size at joint, has a constant taper and has a 12 3/4 mm tip. the shaft weights 4.01 oz. i have many maple shafts the same size that arer over 4.25 oz.
most players don't like the look, other than that they play just fine if you like a very solid shaft.

So who made your cue? The more I look, the more I like it...

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So who made your cue? The more I look, the more I like it...

Hey Donny!

Desi2960 is Chuck Starkey. He makes those cues with the big wood pin and I've heard nothing but good things about the way they play. Do a search here and you'll find more of his work. Hope all is well with you!

Randy

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolguppy

a purple heart shaft at 11 1/4 mm is not going to help with a weight forward cue. it is not going to be very stiff, and just as an afternote, what game are you playing with a 11 1/4 mm shaft?

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a purple heart shaft at 11 1/4 mm is not going to help with a weight forward cue. it is not going to be very stiff, and just as an afternote, what game are you playing with a 11 1/4 mm shaft?

As i mentioned i prefer the feel of shooting with thinner shaft.
I have some in ranges of 11-13mm on different cues. I usually play 8 ball
And have a soft touch kind of game. But if i could find a 11.5 or smaller
Shaft that i can still use for hard english shots that would be awesome.
Maybe if wont seem stiff if your used to a 13mm but if its a denser harder
Wood im sure it would seem very stiff to some one who learned on a 11mm
Maple shaft