Recut points

08sabre

Hi I was just wondering what are recut points. I have seen that terminology used in a few descriptions of cues. Thanks

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe what you are referring to is when you install points in a cue, then come back and cut and install points inside the first set of points you put in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBoF4Oqqpn8

Exactly correct. I can't tell you how many times recut questions were asked in the main firum over the years and people would answer with milled veneers.

IMG_20180310_021454.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Exactly correct. I can't tell you how many times recut questions were asked in the main firum over the years and people would answer with milled veneers.

View attachment 544768

Recut points are All Wood points like Mike’s picture. Not veneers. Takes longer but advantage is there is NO SEAM at the point. I have done recuts for many years, just like the results.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Recut points are All Wood points like Mike’s picture. Not veneers. Takes longer but advantage is there is NO SEAM at the point. I have done recuts for many years, just like the results.

Except for the cuemaker that uses "veneers" that doesnt have a seam.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Except for the cuemaker that uses "veneers" that doesnt have a seam.

Are you referring to actual veneers or one piece maple that is MILLED, then dyed??? Mr. Wes Hunter and Mr. Dennis Searing come to mind.

Added
Re-cuts are seamless veneers out of various hard woods

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My hats off to you Mr. Madden. You do great re-cuts. I thru in the towell on re-cuts and went back to veneering long ago. Not having a dedicated set up took it's toll on me.
I'll explain;
I don't have a CNC or milling machine to hold the forearm, what you see above, I did on a lathe between centers. It was fun, it was work. But to understand what
re-cuts actually were. I had to do it.

Last edited:

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
wIheoYw.jpg

9fvHFxN.jpg

So I guess the only question remains if the end result in a cue is exactly the same, except for the procedure to get there, is it improper to call them anything but the same?
For almost 20 years I have called mine single piece V veneers and people looked at me like I had a disease because they didn't have a clue without an hour of explanation just exactly what they were. Now I just tell them recut veneers and they look closer and smile. It takes many hours of recutting to produce the veneers I use in my cues.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
wIheoYw.jpg

9fvHFxN.jpg

So I guess the only question remains if the end result in a cue is exactly the same, except for the procedure to get there, is it improper to call them anything but the same?
For almost 20 years I have called mine single piece V veneers and people looked at me like I had a disease because they didn't have a clue without an hour of explanation just exactly what they were. Now I just tell them recut veneers and they look closer and smile. It takes many hours of recutting to produce the veneers I use in my cues.
You could have saved a lot of wood and man hours if you just use Sharpie.

Those are insane.
You and DS are madmen .

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BarenbruggeCues [SIZE="3" said:
For almost 20 years I have called mine single piece V veneers and people looked at me like I had a disease because they didn't have a clue without an hour of explanation just exactly what they were. Now I just tell them recut veneers and they look closer and smile. It takes many hours of recutting to produce the veneers I use in my cues. [/SIZE]

Awesome Mr. Barenbrugge
The answer is your second sentence. Tell them what they actually are or tell them what you think they'll understand.
Technical versus comprehensive!

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Now you've done it.

wIheoYw.jpg

9fvHFxN.jpg

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now you've done it.

No, now you done it. :)

I have one of the first five cues that you ever made.

It is a Sneaky Pete.

Not one of the points match up.

Anybody can make a cue with even points.

It takes a MASTER to make the Sneaky Pete I got. :)

I love the fact that they are all different lengths...makes it unique.

Best of days to you, sir.

Aloha

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
It took me a few tries to figure out how to keep the points even.

Attachments

• sharpie.jpg
    sharpie.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 303

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wIheoYw.jpg

9fvHFxN.jpg

But they aren't technically veneers or recuts. And if you're not using hardwood, what are you using? The right word actually would be inlay, no? Personally I've thought of making jigs to precisely hold hardwood and use a handsaw with magnetic guide and clean it up with a shoulder plane on a custom shooting board which would nail the dimensions. But hell I don't even make cues. A milling machine is a lot easier. :D

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, with everything said in this thread, and I'm feeing like a smart ass today! Lmao
If I were to glue a stack of veneers together and miter them but I don't cut thru the outside veneer so it acts like a hinge, does the make it x amount of veneers mitered inside of a re-cut veneer?????
:shrug::yeah::dance:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, with everything said in this thread, and I'm feeing like a smart ass today! Lmao
If I were to glue a stack of veneers together and miter them but I don't cut thru the outside veneer so it acts like a hinge, does the make it x amount of veneers mitered inside of a re-cut veneer?????
:shrug::yeah::dance:

You lost me at hello. ;)

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But they aren't technically veneers or recuts. And if you're not using hardwood, what are you using? The right word actually would be inlay, no? Personally I've thought of making jigs to precisely hold hardwood and use a handsaw with magnetic guide and clean it up with a shoulder plane on a custom shooting board which would nail the dimensions. But hell I don't even make cues. A milling machine is a lot easier. :D

Between these examples, and your ringwork, you truly are a madman. :) Not bad for a blind man my a$$. ;)