Phenolic inserts for shaft

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting ready to turn/thread some inserts.
Out of curiosity, which way does the grain run?
Or do they start as rolled tubes?

This is for my "full splice" furniture leg app, not cues yet. but have been considering for cues after seeing Joey's advice.

Thanks!

smt

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting ready to turn/thread some inserts.
Out of curiosity, which way does the grain run?
Or do they start as rolled tubes?

This is for my "full splice" furniture leg app, not cues yet. but have been considering for cues after seeing Joey's advice.

Thanks!

smt

Depends. Some start out layered, some start out rolled. Better to say what you have to get a correct answer.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
rolled and molded would the best...........imo

less chance of splitting when you get into smaller sizes.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys.
I guess rolled was what seemed right, but usual impatience driving this.
Have plenty of canvas and linen phenolic blocks, so sawed & turned some rods to run on the turret lathe. Will probably complete for the furniture legs. Grain is "longways" so more prone to splitting, but at least not in layers.

I will order rolled tubes for cues.

Thanks!
smt

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rolled and molded would the best...........imo

less chance of splitting when you get into smaller sizes.

Thanks guys.
I guess rolled was what seemed right, but usual impatience driving this.
Have plenty of canvas and linen phenolic blocks, so sawed & turned some rods to run on the turret lathe. Will probably complete for the furniture legs. Grain is "longways" so more prone to splitting, but at least not in layers.

I will order rolled tubes for cues.

Thanks!
smt

For shaft inserts, buy the rod stock. Not preformed tubes, which are generally larger than needed for inserts. Collars and such.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For shaft inserts, buy the rod stock

Hmmm.... will have to dig deeper. Initial searches just showed rod from flat lam material, which was the reason i "rolled" my own, so to speak - ripped some sheet and turned short sections of rod on the lathe.

This is close to what i need for furniture project, if i step up from #10 bolt, to 1/4" bolt

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=35434&catid=

For cues i use 3/8"-10 joint, so this is what i was planning to keep on hand.
More or less "just-in-case" because so far wood without insert works ok. I saturate with super glue, and then wax. But i see a lot of you guys use inserts and it's a good idea.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=35439&catid=

Thanks for the advice and info!
smt

Edited - OK. More search, found Atlas billiard sells the rolled rod. Thanks!

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm.... will have to dig deeper. Initial searches just showed rod from flat lam material, which was the reason i "rolled" my own, so to speak - ripped some sheet and turned short sections of rod on the lathe.

This is close to what i need for furniture project, if i step up from #10 bolt, to 1/4" bolt

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=35434&catid=

For cues i use 3/8"-10 joint, so this is what i was planning to keep on hand.
More or less "just-in-case" because so far wood without insert works ok. I saturate with super glue, and then wax. But i see a lot of you guys use inserts and it's a good idea.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=35439&catid=

Thanks for the advice and info!
smt

Edited - OK. More search, found Atlas billiard sells the rolled rod. Thanks!

Last sentence is perfect. Make sure you specify rolled and molded. They sell both.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
For shaft inserts, buy the rod stock. Not preformed tubes, which are generally larger than needed for inserts. Collars and such.

Sorry, not accurate .
And I've tried both rods and tubes.
I hate the rods .
Hate working with them as well.

I also use the tube kind for A-joint reinforcement.

Attachments

• DSC01481.JPG
    DSC01481.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Printed receipt says "rolled & molded" .562 dia x 48" length.
Hope the order packer gets it right. :thumbup:

Per tube vs rod - appreciate the info both ways. I'm pretty familiar with tube & have larger sizes on hand from "other sources". But not many others stock rolled/molded rod, for which i could have other applications, so will be glad to have both on hand. For instance, tube is not made small enough for #12 & smaller bolts.

Thanks for all the help!
smt

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, not accurate .
I hate the rods .

Care to send me the link for what you’re using? I’ve found a couple options. One is a paper phenolic. The other doesn’t give that info, looks like linen to me. But everything I’ve found on cue parts websites is .625 ID.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not Joey, but go to the links i posted in my 2nd post. Then search on that site. (IOW, bring up first link, then click on "back to group")
You can get about any combination. Canvas or linen. (or paper or other) Only problem for my current furniture need, they don't make holes smaller than 3/16". I've uses phenolic for years as a machinist. It's brand new to me for cues.:smile: I've appreciated all the advice received here on many subjects.

thanks!

smt

Last edited:

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Sorry, not accurate .
I hate the rods .

Thanks...more for me :wink:

The linen based should be listed as LE material. The big cue builder supplier I believe just calls it rolled and molded. They specify if it is canvas.
I've messed around with some paper based for different projects and although it machines well I didn't care for the inability of it to not crack easier than the linen based in the tests I did.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not Joey, but go to the links i posted in my 2nd post. Then search on that site. (IOW, bring up first link, then click on "back to group")
You can get about any combination. Canvas or linen. (or paper or other) Only problem for my current furniture need, they don't make holes smaller than 3/16". I've uses phenolic for years as a machinist. It's brand new to me for cues.:smile: I've appreciated all the advice received here on many subjects.

thanks!

smt

3/16 wall with 3/16 hole works.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I buy 1/2 inch phenolic rod LE or tube LE and use a 1 3/4 length to glue in the shaft ........ drill it and tap it.......... works great

Kim

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

thanks!

smt

I'm not seeing any LE phenolic tube for sale on USPlastic. Just the paper phenolic tube. I can find the rod available(special order) in LE.

Thanks...more for me :wink:

The linen based should be listed as LE material. The big cue builder supplier I believe just calls it rolled and molded. They specify if it is canvas.
I've messed around with some paper based for different projects and although it machines well I didn't care for the inability of it to not crack easier than the linen based in the tests I did.

Got a link to your LE phenolic tube supplier? I keep finding companies websites that mention talk of a LE phenolic tube, but never do show one for sale. I did find one, but something seems off about their availability too.

3/16 wall with 3/16 hole works.

If you're speaking of the USPLastic link, tha'ts their XX grade, which is paper. I would love to get some LE tube, but all I keep finding is the paper tube.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not seeing any LE phenolic tube for sale on USPlastic. Just the paper phenolic tube. I can find the rod available(special order) in LE

Sorry - i'd have sworn they had it.
However, it is not difficult to find on the 'net; though it apparently takes some digging for a specific ID vs wall.
If you are in a hurry, MSC has options. 40 - 20 years ago they were still the new hungry kids. Now they seem to be rapists. Nonetheless:

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/?searchterm=3/16+id+linen+phenolic+tube&hdrsrh=true

McMaster Carr has a smaller selection, better prices if what you need is in the mix:

https://www.mcmaster.com/phenolic-tubing/

scroll down a little for LE & CE options.

I'd still check N. Plastics special order.

smt

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry - i'd have sworn they had it.
However, it is not difficult to find on the 'net; though it apparently takes some digging for a specific ID vs wall.
If you are in a hurry, MSC has options. 40 - 20 years ago they were still the new hungry kids. Now they seem to be rapists. Nonetheless:

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/?searchterm=3/16+id+linen+phenolic+tube&hdrsrh=true

McMaster Carr has a smaller selection, better prices if what you need is in the mix:

https://www.mcmaster.com/phenolic-tubing/

scroll down a little for LE & CE options.

I'd still check N. Plastics special order.

smt

So odd that those two didn't return on my searches first couple pages. As long as whoever is buying that tube doesn't need it black, it looks like those will work. Would be nice to have a tube of black rather than the rods I have now.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
tapping phenolic

I pity the tap that goes through LE phenolic.

I have been tapping the phenolic inserts and butts for the joint screw ........... with the same tap for 10 years............. no problems........... it still cuts my finger

Kim