G Core or Meucci Black Dot

ky4some

Registered
My issues with the Predator shafts was more feel than performance. I won't deny they have great low deflection. But I thought my gen1 314 had a dead feel.

I've also been presented with an opportunity to get a Schon Hybrid. I've read good things about them. Any input?

Or maybe I'll just get with Espiritu and have one of their LD shafts made for the cue.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
My issues with the Predator shafts was more feel than performance. I won't deny they have great low deflection. But I thought my gen1 314 had a dead feel.

I've also been presented with an opportunity to get a Schon Hybrid. I've read good things about them. Any input?

Or maybe I'll just get with Espiritu and have one of their LD shafts made for the cue.

I didn't know schon had a hybrid. If you get a chance, I seriously recommend Meucci pro. If I wasn't using all CF shafts now and was using wood, it would be a combo of the pro or possibly a keilwood shaft.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Theoretically, yes. A G-Core shaft should be heavier than a maple shaft (carbon is heavier than maple), and a G-Core shaft should be stiffer than a maple shaft (carbon is stiffer than maple), and according to Dr. Dave both of those traits will increase cue ball squirt.

You do know that the G-Cores are hollow for 6" starting at the ferule and that they have a short ferule for light weight, correct??

ky4some

Registered
You do know that the G-Cores are hollow for 6" starting at the ferule and that they have a short ferule for light weight, correct??

Yes I am aware of that. Just not sure which way I want to go. The G-Core is hollow whereas the Shon Hybrid is not. Don't the Meucci Pro is either. Not really looking to break the bank, just want to find a decent LD shaft. I spoke with Justin at Espiritu and he mentioned their XP5 shaft as an option as well. I believe the XP5 is not laminated but has a hollow section as well.

I'm wondering what the newest methods are, hollow section or no hollow section. Seems there are so many ways to create the LD shafts.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So McDermotts image of their G-Core shaft is inaccurate?

gcore.jpg

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/mcdermott_gcore_shafts.php

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The G-Core is a great shaft. Better than McD's I-shaft, IMO
FWIW, G-core is as good as any shaft out there. Relatively cheap, well made,
solid maple look and feel, consistent in each shaft.
It has a real LIFETIME WARRANTY

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really not sure about the statement that all G-Core's are consistent. You could be right, but I have three McDerrmots with G-Cores, and they all feel different. One is fantastic, one ok, and one so so. Maybe it's the butts that make them feel different, as one is a leather wrap,one no wrap,and one a linen wrap. The funny thing is that the linen wrap feels the best to me, and I only like leather, and no wrap, go figure.You have me wondering now, and will check it out by putting the other two shafts on the cue that feels the best, later this week when we get home from fishing.I do agree that their warranty is very good, and for me that is great as I drive by their plant at least once a month. For anyone that is near their place, you should really stop in to see their showroom. They have one off cues, that they make to see how they look at very reduced prices . You can really pick up a deal, if you find something that you like.

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put some lead tape around the ferrule of a maple shaft; then stroke the cue ball and observe how a high deflection shaft "works".

A traditional maple shaft (from here on out I’ll just use the term maple) is the standard, it’s what all LD shafts base their claims on. That a LD shaft deflects less than maple.

You said a G-Core is high deflection and in my mind you’re saying that a G-Core deflects more or more aggressively than maple.

Did you mean the G-Core and maple deflect the same? If you did, as I explained before the G-Core deflects less than maple but not as much as what manufacturers call their LD shafts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I looked at the G-Core shaft, and I came to the conclusion that it is a "high" deflection shaft--not a "low" deflection shaft nor a "normal" deflection shaft. If anyone has a reasonable argument for why the G-Core shaft should be considered a "low" deflection shaft, I would like to hear it.
It depends on what is deflecting. A LD shaft's deflection can be seen as 'high'(shaft) or 'low'(cueball). Its just two different ways of describing the same thing. When a LD shaft strikes the cueball the shaft gets out of the way(deflects) thus sending the cueball on a straighter "less deflecting" path. So, a LD shaft is both: HD in terms of the shaft and LD in terms of the cueball. As for the G-Core, i found it to have slightly less deflection than solid wood. The one i tested had too soft a tip for me but it still played really nice.

Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on what is deflecting.
I understand what you are stating, but terminology is not my issue with the G-Core shaft. I concluded that the G-Core shaft was not an LD shaft, as the term "LD" is commonly understood.

Someone posted that the tip of the shaft is hollow, which is not something that I have ever read, and it is not something that McDermott claims. If that is true, that would change my analysis of the G-Core shaft.

Last edited:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say the Meucci black dot, it is a very elegant shaft, some people don't understand the construction behind the ferrule, but it is designed so that the ferrule moves out of the way and the cueball goes straight.

It is considered an LD shaft, I'd say go for it, a beautiful shaft.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say the Meucci black dot, it is a very elegant shaft, some people don't understand the construction behind the ferrule, but it is designed so that the ferrule moves out of the way and the cueball goes straight.

It is considered an LD shaft, I'd say go for it, a beautiful shaft.
To each his own but i thought the BD was the biggest pos i'd ever owned. I kept it for three days and traded it off. I didn't like the dead feel, the sound or the flex of it. Just felt totally numb to me. Could have been that weird ferrule/tenon i don't know. The Meucci Pro on the other hand is a very nice piece. Low deflection but has a crisp lively feel. To me its light yrs. better than a Black Dot.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each his own but i thought the BD was the biggest pos i'd ever owned. I kept it for three days and traded it off. I didn't like the dead feel, the sound or the flex of it. Just felt totally numb to me. Could have been that weird ferrule/tenon i don't know. The Meucci Pro on the other hand is a very nice piece. Low deflection but has a crisp lively feel. To me its light yrs. better than a Black Dot.

I agree on the pro shaft statement, if I had to choose between G core or Black dot, I'd go black dot.

If I had to choose between the black dot or the pro, of course it's the pro no doubt.

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Although I didn't own one I played with a pair of Black Dot shafts when they first came out. I also thought they were the deadest feeling shafts I had ever played with. I felt the red dot and the no dot Meucci shafts played much better than the Black Dot. Just because it is laminated certainly doesn't make it LD. Also had the opportunity to play with the Meucci Pro and agree it is much more LD than the Black Dot and definitely has a better feel.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Meucci Pro on the other hand is a very nice piece. Low deflection but has a crisp lively feel. To me its light yrs. better than a Black Dot.
Do you have any experience comparing a Meucci Pro to an OB Classic + shaft?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have any experience comparing a Meucci Pro to an OB Classic + shaft?
Had both. About all i can say is they both play fine. Different feel but comparable performance. I liked the OB a little better just because it was a little bigger, 12.75 vs. 12.5, than the Meucci. Using a Mezz now. Like it better than either one of those.