Isaac "Miami" Gonzalez

manopr350

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a recent trip to Puerto Rico, I met Miami. I played with him and he wanted to play with one hand. He is up there in age.., but when he holds the cue with one hand, he is very steady.., if you know what I mean.
Anyone knows about him?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In a recent trip to Puerto Rico, I met Miami. I played with him and he wanted to play with one hand. He is up there in age.., but when he holds the cue with one hand, he is very steady.., if you know what I mean.
Anyone knows about him?

That's Little Miami. He's been around forever! Was he wearing a little hat?

IntoTheRail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I cant believe that guy is still around. I used to see him all the time in a pool hall outside of detroit when I first started playing, of course I had no idea of who he was at the time. I always heard he was a monster shooting one handed.

onepktplyr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've known miami for abt 20 years. He helped me learn how to play one pocket. ( At a big expense of course) at one point he was regarded as probably the top 1handed player in the world. I seen him several times run 6 out playing golf on a 12ft gold crown. His famous lines were always "I no play I no play" and "what's 20.00 so say you beat a champion" lol. This post makes me remember all the old quirks he had. He moved from the detroit are abt 4 years or so ago. He once won a pool room in new jersey playing 9ball..

nikotesla

ninja in training
Silver Member
he was the first person i gambled with in pool. it was in detroit, after a few times we played he started teaching me. awesome guy, i'd been wondering what happened to him, im glad hes alive n well n still playing.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I've known miami for abt 20 years. He helped me learn how to play one pocket. ( At a big expense of course) at one point he was regarded as probably the top 1handed player in the world. I seen him several times run 6 out playing golf on a 12ft gold crown. His famous lines were always "I no play I no play" and "what's 20.00 so say you beat a champion" lol. This post makes me remember all the old quirks he had. He moved from the detroit are abt 4 years or so ago. He once won a pool room in new jersey playing 9ball..

He won a pool ROOM? That belongs in the weirdest bet thread for sure. Damn, what do you even do with that? That's like winning a hundred dollar car with bald tires and no sticker. Or a paper shredder that only accepts money.

nikotesla

ninja in training
Silver Member
oh and i watched him beat alex p once in a monthly tournament, again in detroit, beat him 7-1, came by the tournament table all excited and smiling, said, "i beat that good kid". lol it was just funny how he said it.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Miami owned a room in Paterson NJ. My uncle was lucky enough to be his houseman and he was my uncles mentor, playing, not hustling. My uncle shot bad ass one handed because of Miami. Miami used to play on a triple shim 5 footer in NJ as the house table. Crazy how he played and everyone wanted to play him. He was like a second uncle to me as a kid, I worked his room occasionally and it wasn't in the best part of town. He was really cool to be around. I know he husted a lot, pulled some crap occasionally, but never did I see him do anything personally. He mentored another NJ legend named Big Steve.
I am glad he is still alive, his wife made the best Cuban rice and beans.

JV

classiccues

Silver Member
Check here for a recent picture of Miami

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2493832380038321061pMLhcs

The other great one-handed player (Perhaps better than Miami), "Aguzate" (Antonio Montalvo) was alive in PR last I heard. Someone should be able to verify if he's still around.

Both these guys used to show up at the 7-11 in NYC in the 60s.

Ed

Thanks for the pic. He looks in good shape. I last talked with him in 2000 when my uncle passed.. He was crying to me on the phone, he considered him a son. He told me a lot of stories that day... I haven't seen him since 86 or so when he left.

JV

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Aguzate

Check here for a recent picture of Miami

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2493832380038321061pMLhcs

The other great one-handed player (Perhaps better than Miami), "Aguzate" (Antonio Montalvo) was alive in PR last I heard. Someone should be able to verify if he's still around.

Both these guys used to show up at the 7-11 in NYC in the 60s.

Ed

In the middle 60s in Miami. Isaac confessed to me that Aguzate played better one handed than him. "I no can beat, Aguzate." It helped his ego that Aguzate was also a Puerto Rican. There was another great one handed player in Miami at that time. Chico from Puerto Rico. I didnt know him very well, as we managed to never cross paths in Miami, and would be interested in hearing more about him. He was also a world class bumper pool player. I never heard of him anymore outside of Miami.

Beard

georgeanddee

Registered
hey jv

I knew Miami 10 years . I was always after his Balabushka. I was taught one pocket by him. That was in Paterson N.J. In those 10 years I never saw him lose a match. How that 4 a Wow. George n Dee

classiccues

Silver Member
I knew Miami 10 years . I was always after his Balabushka. I was taught one pocket by him. That was in Paterson N.J. In those 10 years I never saw him lose a match. How that 4 a Wow. George n Dee

Well my uncle worked the room up until he got his CDL and became a truck driver. My uncle started working there at 14-15, when the room was across from pep-boys. My uncle was laid up in the hotel around the corner, that became across the street when the room was moved. I was in both places a bit.

JV

georgeanddee

Registered
Well my uncle worked the room up until he got his CDL and became a truck driver. My uncle started working there at 14-15, when the room was across from pep-boys. My uncle was laid up in the hotel around the corner, that became across the street when the room was moved. I was in both places a bit.

JV

You must be talking about George Umstead. I hope I'm right, I remember George and a nephew hanging out, I knew his father also....George was a East Coast Great that is the truth..!!