Reload this Page Why we choke under pressure and how to avoid it. TEDTalk
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Why we choke under pressure and how to avoid it. TEDTalk
Old
  (#1)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

Why we choke under pressure and how to avoid it. TEDTalk - 10-11-2018, 02:35 PM

https://youtu.be/OrB9JBEk1ds

Decent TEDTalk that could apply.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-11-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post

I think it does apply. Thought kills action. But I think "The Inner Game of Tennis" is a better way to see this.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-11-2018, 04:27 PM

I read that book a long time ago when I was playing golf all the time, great book.

My nerves really used to get the best of me.

Can't really describe how I got through so much of that. The game to me is now me vs me. No different than if I were in my room playing against myself.

I focus more on the feel of the cue and the stroke. Thinking about that I think brings more muscle memory to the surface and pushes out all the mental garbage. This is the shot, this is my leave, the stroke that gets me there feels like this. Make a couple practice strokes and focus on the contact point. The only thing that's in my mind during the stroke is that point. Most of the time I miss it's because that last bit of focus broke down.

Did it this last night at league. Saw my run out, set up on the first ball, dropped my focus on that point, thought about the rest of the balls I would be making and chunked a super easy shot. Doh! That table went from an easy out to me losing.

There is a pocket imprinted on the backside of every object ball.

The rail is your best friend.

Old
  (#4)
L I F D 1
L S S T 10
L I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 06:27 PM

It's not a Choke, it's anxiety, High Anxiety exactly what it is.
It's what Willie Mosconi expierenced that night he missed.

Tightness in chest, difficult breathing smoothly.
It possibly could kill you, it's large part of having what accompanys an aneurysm.

Old
  (#5)
Franky4Eyes
AzB Silver Member
Franky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L I F D 1 View Post
It's not a Choke, it's anxiety, High Anxiety exactly what it is.
It's what Willie Mosconi expierenced that night he missed.

Tightness in chest, difficult breathing smoothly.
It possibly could kill you, it's large part of having what accompanys an aneurysm.
Jeez. Just reading this made me feel tense.
Lol.

Old
  (#6)
Young William
AzB Silver Member
Young William has a reputation beyond reputeYoung William has a reputation beyond reputeYoung William has a reputation beyond reputeYoung William has a reputation beyond reputeYoung William has a reputation beyond reputeYoung William has a reputation beyond reputeYoung William has a reputation beyond reputeYoung William has a reputation beyond reputeYoung William has a reputation beyond reputeYoung William has a reputation beyond reputeYoung William has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I think it does apply. Thought kills action. But I think "The Inner Game of Tennis" is a better way to see this.
I have read The Inner Game of Tennis. But I believe that Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect by Dr. Bob Rotella is much better.

https://www.amazon.com/Golf-Not-Game...ame+of+perfect

"I thought I had a stroke but it was just a slight heart attack." JG

Always looking for a nice Cuetec.

Old
  (#7)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky4Eyes View Post
Jeez. Just reading this made me feel tense.
Lol.
Me, too.

I go to button my shirt this morning and the button falls off.

I grab my pool cue and the tip falls off.

I'm afraid to go to the bathroom!

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#8)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2018, 06:33 AM

I focus on each aspect of my game individually, so that when its time to
execute I've practiced it and the environmental aspects don't exist. All I have to do is
remember what I know to do that works. Each part individually creates a better overall
whole that you can perform with much less thought.

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $5.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Last edited by 336Robin; 10-13-2018 at 03:35 AM.

Old
  (#9)
Franky4Eyes
AzB Silver Member
Franky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeFranky4Eyes has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336Robin View Post
I focus on each aspect of my game individually, so that when its time to
execute I've practiced it and the environment aspects don't exist. All I have to do is
remember what I know to do that works. Each part individually creates a better overall
whole that you can perform with much less thought.
Excellent response and great thought process.
This made me feel more at ease versus the cloud of impending doom scenario.

Last edited by Franky4Eyes; 10-16-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Old
  (#10)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2018, 10:47 PM

Every kid that starts gambling at pool experiences the ‘buck fever’ choke. Much like ‘stage fright’ (unless you’re betting WAY more than you can afford to lose), you eventually get over it. Musicians/actors usually learn that a bad performance isn’t always the end of the world, and gamblers figure out that they can probably get more money if they lose their bankroll.

Old
  (#11)
Paul Schofield
AzB Gold Member
Paul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2018, 12:01 AM

Watched the video. Heady new age stuff, mostly not applicable to pool. This is: How To Train To Operate "In The Zone". If you are in "The Zone", you won't choke. Here is the question: You are at the table, under pressure, and you are NOT, and have been unable to get "In The Zone." Now what? Do you know what to do?

Shoot what you break.

Larry Hubbart was 87.5% right.

Old
  (#12)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDan View Post
Every kid that starts gambling at pool experiences the ‘buck fever’ choke.
FYI: For the uninitiated, “buck fever”: You are a 14 yr. old donating (for over an hour) your entire month’s allowance in a 7-handed 9 ball ring game with a bunch of adults, without even a glimpse of any money ball, when suddenly the player ahead of you misses the 9 and leaves a near hanger. You then step up (with visions of all that silver being tossed on the table dancing in your head) and look down the barrel at a ‘cinch’. You then proceed to dog it, and it bobbles in the jaws. THAT is ‘buck fever’!!

Old
  (#13)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Schofield View Post
Watched the video. Heady new age stuff, mostly not applicable to pool. This is: How To Train To Operate "In The Zone". If you are in "The Zone", you won't choke. Here is the question: You are at the table, under pressure, and you are NOT, and have been unable to get "In The Zone." Now what? Do you know what to do?
Speaking for myself. If I start out cold I go back to the basics, make sure my
fundamentals are sound and pot some balls, get some shape nothing fancy about it.
Take what the table gives. In awhile I'll feel more grounded and can use more shot
pressure and spin techniques to get perfect but I stop it short of screwing anything up
for speed control. I keep my mind on the reasonable, executable needs for the next
shot and then I feel it coming back in where those decisions are automatic and are the
right decisions to start with. I cruise in this atmosphere making sure not to do
something crazy to put an end to it. Sometimes you have to control your urges to get
perfect because you're not superman. At least not yet.

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $5.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#14)
RichSchultz
AzB Silver Member
RichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2018, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336Robin View Post
Speaking for myself. If I start out cold I go back to the basics, make sure my
fundamentals are sound and pot some balls, get some shape nothing fancy about it.
Take what the table gives. In awhile I'll feel more grounded and can use more shot
pressure and spin techniques to get perfect but I stop it short of screwing anything up
for speed control. I keep my mind on the reasonable, executable needs for the next
shot and then I feel it coming back in where those decisions are automatic and are the
right decisions to start with. I cruise in this atmosphere making sure not to do
something crazy to put an end to it. Sometimes you have to control your urges to get
perfect because you're not superman. At least not yet.
Bingo....this. Summed up perfectly.

Old
  (#15)
JustPlay
AzB Silver Member
JustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2837

10-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post

Good choice of thread!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: