Best 5 one hole player *ever*

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Could you elaborate what you mean by ruined Grady at one hole?

Grady sure was fun to watch.

I think he means Bugs robbed him... which is a bit hard to swallow, as I saw Grady play countless times and man oh man could he move like a freaking GHOST. And made anything and everything as well. But, that said, I know PT doesn't just spout off. If he says Bugs robbed him, there must be something to it. I would've liked to have sweated those sessions...

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this has been done here before but I did a search for "best five one pocket players ever" and this is what I got:

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: best, one, ever

Sooooooooooo... as an addendum to the "best five right now" I thought I would see what others think. As ever with these questions, it's ALWAYS "up for discussion".

Ronnie Allen
Grady Mathews
Mike Carella
Efren Reyes
Luther Lassiter

I think after Ronnie and Efren you can pick and choose your favorites. But I’d put Cliff over Grady and who’s Mike and Luther? At the end of the day Alex will be up there.

Last edited:

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Grady Mathews (in his prime)
Ronnie Allen (in his prime)
Cliff Joyner (in his prime)
Efren Reyes (in his prime)
Alex Pagulayan (in his prime)

Special Mention: Michael "Geese" Gerace

I cannot fault that list at all -- although I would change up the order a bit. But being from different eras it is tough to compare from different eras! All of these players have had great runs!!

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I think after Ronnie and Efren you can pick and choose your favorites. But I’d put Cliff over Grady and who’s Mike and Luther?

Mike Carella was a MONSTER ( stone cold KILLER world champion-speed under-the-radar ) player from Miami in the late 60s to mid 70s ( murdered in his late 20s ) who played all games and was BRUTAL when it came to heart. He was the personification of Strickland's "I'll rip your liver out and hand it to you." He had more gamble than the next 50 players in line... he's been dead for 45 years or so now so his light has faded a lot but I guarantee you, anyone who ever saw him play or matched up with him will let you know just how strong he played. Phenomenal player. Mesmerizing...

Hard to believe you've never heard of Luther Lassiter. Just considered to be, arguably of course, the greatest 9 ball player EVER. And one of the absolute all-time greatest road players. And played all games as well. Won the 1 hole tourney at Jansco's Johnston City event ( which every year drew the greatest players in the world at the time ) like 3 out of 4 years in the early 60s... And it wasn't even his best game. That's why he's in my top 5 all-time.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw quite a few, admittedly some past their prime, but Efren was the only one who made me wish I had a DVR in my head. Until TRex--but Efren is still at the top of my list.
No doubt. I got to see him play four matches at DCC in '07. It was like watching a sorcerer perform some kind of black-magic. He beat Busti and followed that up by putting a beat down on Parica. In the final he beat Cliff 3-1. He did things with the cueball that were just stupid.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
No doubt. I got to see him play four matches at DCC in '07. It was like watching a sorcerer perform some kind of black-magic. He beat Busti and followed that up by putting a beat down on Parica. In the final he beat Cliff 3-1. He did things with the cueball that were just stupid.

I know you've seen this Gar, but for those who haven't, well... I quit doing acid in 72 and I've never had a flashback but the first time I saw *this* I could've sworn I was having my first one. I mean, seriously? Come on...

From 11:18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8G1p7louR8

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick Varner
Efren Reyes
Alex P

Too hard to pick from here
but I am not sure Nick wasn't the best,
he could do it all and had great judgement knew all phases
played very good and protected a lead seldom missing a ball

For my money in a high stakes set Nick Varner was the best

As old and out of shape as he is
if someone wants to give him a ball and the break,count me in
today

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to see someone put Nick Varner on the List! In the 90's Nick was tearing it up at One Pocket. Didn't Nick win back to back US Open One Pocket Championships?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All time.?...

Efren Reyes
Ronnie Allen
Jersey Red
Rags Woods
Bugs Rucker

And just off the list, but might still make the list,

Dennis
Alex
Busty
Cliff
Frosty
Tony

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Carella was a MONSTER ( stone cold KILLER world champion-speed under-the-radar ) player from Miami in the late 60s to mid 70s ( murdered in his late 20s ) who played all games and was BRUTAL when it came to heart. He was the personification of Strickland's "I'll rip your liver out and hand it to you." He had more gamble than the next 50 players in line... he's been dead for 45 years or so now so his light has faded a lot but I guarantee you, anyone who ever saw him play or matched up with him will let you know just how strong he played. Phenomenal player. Mesmerizing...

Hard to believe you've never heard of Luther Lassiter. Just considered to be, arguably of course, the greatest 9 ball player EVER. And one of the absolute all-time greatest road players. And played all games as well. Won the 1 hole tourney at Jansco's Johnston City event ( which every year drew the greatest players in the world at the time ) like 3 out of 4 years in the early 60s... And it wasn't even his best game. That's why he's in my top 5 all-time.

I was joking, but it never comes across in print.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I think Parica's place in the list of great one-holers is too low.

I think he'd beat Grady in their prime.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I was joking, but it never comes across in print.

True dat...

Had you been serious, as far as Carella goes, you would be in a long line. Hardly anyone under 50 ( no idea your age, however ) has ever heard of him. Lassiter's another matter, though. :yeah:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I respectfully disagree on the skill level, but fully agree with the action preservation statement.

Regards,

John

Yeah, I certainly never even accidentally played as well as him, so I guess I certainly and subject to my own perspective too...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Parica's place in the list of great one-holers is too low.

I think he'd beat Grady in their prime.
Agree 100% here. Parica was a cash-gettin' MONSTER in his prime. I played him for $5/game one time and he left me FROZEN on the center diamond of the head-rail FIVE straight times. Not near the rail but frozen. That little cat could dab it.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Grady Mathews (in his prime)
Ronnie Allen (in his prime)
Cliff Joyner (in his prime)
Efren Reyes (in his prime)
Alex Pagulayan (in his prime)

Special Mention: Michael "Geese" Gerace

My list as well. Maybe replace Joyner with StewBoo.