Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Mental game after someone puts a 4 pack on you?!
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
megatron69
AzB Silver Member
megatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Everyone that's been in a similar spot probably has their own idea of how to deal with this situation; you're job is to figure out what yours will be from now on.

I just play it one game at a time. I know, that sounds cliche, and it probably is, but that's how I look at it. I will say that I do try to put pressure on my opponent any way I can, if possible (on the table; I don't shark, take extra long to shoot, take frequent restroom breaks, etc., or any of that kind of weak-*ss stuff). But if I can put a really difficult safety on him, or get a solid run-out, or a bit of a trick shot, etc., I'll do it to try and get in his head a little.

Note: the odds of winning 8,9,10 or more games in a row are minuscule, mathematically speaking. The more you think about how tough it's going to be, the more likely you're going to screw it up. I used to go into those scenarios thinking, "He's got me; just shoot like you know what you're doing and let God sort it out."

Old
  (#17)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
When Archer put up an 11 pack on Bustamante to run out the set Bustamante asked Archer to double the bet and if I remember the story correctly Bustamante won the next 2 sets.

I suppose it depends on you skill level. If someone opened with a 10 pack on me I'd quit because no amount of weight would overcome that.
It was **13**. Archer said no thanks to doubling the bet ( I heard it was 1K, not sure tho ), promptly lost the next set and unscrewed.

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titlist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist - Rambow replica
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#18)
Mustardeer
AzB Silver Member
Mustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
It was **13**. Archer said no thanks to doubling the bet ( I heard it was 1K, not sure tho ), promptly lost the next set and unscrewed.
Thatís a famous story, I heard that one years ago, always assumed it was true.

Playing Cue: Schon
Shafts: Revo 12.4
Break: Mezz power break II
Jump: Alex Brick
Case: Castillo butterfly
Chalk: Master

Old
  (#19)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustardeer View Post
Was playing Saratoga 5 ahead on a diamond barbox. I lost the flip. He started off with a 2 pack, then I kicked and sold out. Then it was 4-0 and I was shooting my 2nd shot. There was an out. I didn't get out.

The night before someone told me I should ask for weight and I got offended. During the warm up I was on fire. I was 100% sure I was gonna smoke him.

I thought I was the master of not caring under pressure. Turns out I know nothing.
So, say you're playing race to 11, your opponent opens up with a ten pack. Your first shot. What's your secret to be able to still play your game?

The only shot we are promised is the lag shot unless alternate break.

Other than ^^^^^^^^, all i know is:

GRIND MODE!!!

Don't let your bark be bigger than your stroke.

If I had plenty of money, I would probably lose more often.

Old
  (#20)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Was playing Saratoga 5 ahead on a diamond barbox. I lost the flip. He started off with a 2 pack, then I kicked and sold out. Then it was 4-0 and I was shooting my 2nd shot. There was an out. I didn't get out.

The night before someone told me I should ask for weight and I got offended. During the warm up I was on fire. I was 100% sure I was gonna smoke him.
I wish I knew what this all meant! I'm new to (serious) pool, and I don't know the lingo.

Old
  (#21)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
I wish I knew what this all meant! I'm new to (serious) pool, and I don't know the lingo.
Saratoga is 8 ball but you run the balls before the 8 in order.
5 ahead race is play continues until one person is 5 full games ahead of the other.

2 pack is two break and runs in a row.

Weight is giving the other player some advantage.
One guy goes to 3 the other to 5 etc.
The two game advantage is the " weight"

Old
  (#22)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthinkof01 View Post
Saratoga is 8 ball but you run the balls before the 8 in order.
5 ahead race is play continues until one person is 5 full games ahead of the other.

2 pack is two break and runs in a row.

Weight is giving the other player some advantage.
One guy goes to 3 the other to 5 etc.
The two game advantage is the " weight"
Thanks very much!

Old
  (#23)
Mustardeer
AzB Silver Member
Mustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
Sure buddy, not gonna be the ahole who sends you googling. Saratoga = rotation 8-ball. Diamond barbox = high quality 7í table. Flip = coin flip for the break. 5 ahead = whoever is ahead by 5 games wins, i.e. 5-0, 36-31, 8-3. 2 pack = break and run followed by another break and run, in other words I donít get to shoot for 2 games in a row. Kicked = kick shot. Sold out = he could see his ball after my miss. There was an out = the way the balls layed on the table I had a very high percentage chance to play offense and finish the game without letting him back to the table. Didnt get out = missed or fouled. Weight = handicap, i.e. giving me the breaks or 1 game on the wire or he has to bank the money ball, etc.

Playing Cue: Schon
Shafts: Revo 12.4
Break: Mezz power break II
Jump: Alex Brick
Case: Castillo butterfly
Chalk: Master

Old
  (#24)
jviss
AzB Silver Member

06-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Sure buddy, not gonna be the ahole who sends you googling. Saratoga = rotation 8-ball. Diamond barbox = high quality 7í table. Flip = coin flip for the break. 5 ahead = whoever is ahead by 5 games wins, i.e. 5-0, 36-31, 8-3. 2 pack = break and run followed by another break and run, in other words I donít get to shoot for 2 games in a row. Kicked = kick shot. Sold out = he could see his ball after my miss. There was an out = the way the balls layed on the table I had a very high percentage chance to play offense and finish the game without letting him back to the table. Didnt get out = missed or fouled. Weight = handicap, i.e. giving me the breaks or 1 game on the wire or he has to bank the money ball, etc.
That's great, thanks! I did try googling, but it would have taken a while to sort this all out.

Thanks,

jv

Old
  (#25)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
When Archer put up an 11 pack on Bustamante to run out the set Bustamante asked Archer to double the bet and if I remember the story correctly Bustamante won the next 2 sets.

I suppose it depends on you skill level. If someone opened with a 10 pack on me I'd quit because no amount of weight would overcome that.
Ive come back from 8 - 0 going to 9.

He didnt put a 8 pack though.

He put a 4 pack, broke dry....safety battle that he won and ran out...score 5-0.

He then ran 3 more to make it 8-0.

All that and i got one shot.

He broke dry in 9th game, i put 3 together and broke dry....safety battle but, i won this one....8 - 4

I didn't run another rack but still won the set.

It turned out my safeties were a little more consistent as well as, my kicking.

His name was Bobby Pickle (RIP).

EDIT:

Am i correct about Bobby's passing?

Last edited by jrctherake; 06-08-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Old
  (#26)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thatís a famous story, I heard that one years ago, always assumed it was true.
I forget who it was, but someone I trust ( cause I made a mental note that it was verified ) told me they were there and Archer really did put a 13 on him and Busti really did say double the bet. And Archer really did say, ummm... no. What the sets were worth and how many they played I don't know for sure.

I mean seriously... just how F'ING strong would it be to put **13** on someone and have them say double the bet. Just wow...

Those Filipinos... man.

Back in the mid 80s not long after they got here, Efren had just busted some American superstar ( don't remember who it was ) and the guy's staker said to Efren's staker "Man, I wish I had a million dollars." and The Filipino says ""Me too!"

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titlist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist - Rambow replica
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#27)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 Ball Fan View Post
Try to ice him, by requesting a bathroom break.

When they go to the bathroom on me ,or any of the other two hundred year old "moves" people make, I go get a sandwich, then when they think I am coming back, I go and take a crap and then when they are sure I am coming back I go around the room and shoot the breeze with anyone who will listen, for about half an hour, and I never have to deal with it from them again.
Either they don't play ,or they become gentlemen, out of necessity.
If you are in a hurry , you have a good chance to be a victim.

Old
  (#28)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

06-08-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 Ball Fan View Post
Try to ice him, by requesting a bathroom break.
In my case, if you take a restroom break, ill be glad cause then i would finally get to sit down and rest my back, legs and feet.

Take all the time you want.

With most players, it would give the desired outcome.

Then again, not with me but, most may never play you again....just depends.

Old
  (#29)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
06-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Gonna have to slug back, take the air away.

That said, I can't recall ever putting a 3+ pack on anyone and losing same set in a tournament.

You don't I want to start from there every set.

Old
  (#30)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
06-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Bobby pickle is dead? I guess I missed that

Where was he when he died?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Ive come back from 8 - 0 going to 9.

He didnt put a 8 pack though.

He put a 4 pack, broke dry....safety battle that he won and ran out...score 5-0.

He then ran 3 more to make it 8-0.

All that and i got one shot.

He broke dry in 9th game, i put 3 together and broke dry....safety battle but, i won this one....8 - 4

I didn't run another rack but still won the set.

It turned out my safeties were a little more consistent as well as, my kicking.

His name was Bobby Pickle (RIP).

EDIT:

Am i correct about Bobby's passing?

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: