Rare AP footage of Willie Mosconi playing snooker

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
But one thing I found very strange was the twitching bridge hand on some shots.

When I watched Irving Crane's 150 and out I noticed he do that bridge twitch too. Though I think Crane's was a bit more delayed. I want to say that Caras also did it from the few videos I saw but I can't remember. If so, it's probably a quirk of the time period that others picked up on and emulated.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But one thing I found very strange was the twitching bridge hand on some shots.

Do you think it could have been age ? That’s why earl Strickland wears those crazy things on fingers. He said he just can’t keep his bridge steady any longer.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you think it could have been age ? That’s why earl Strickland wears those crazy things on fingers. He said he just can’t keep his bridge steady any longer.
It looks like Willie's putting on body english with just his bridge hand. Maybe it developed in his later years.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Right, sure, and Joe DiMaggio probably could not hit modern day pitchers and Rocky Marciano would get knocked out in the first round, Babe Ruth? Maybe would just be a minor leaguer- you must be very young, and a lot to learn about the past greats in sports history. Did you ever pick up a golf club from even -say 1970? Hand that to today's golfers and ask them to shoot a 68! What all those past sports greats did should never be denegrated with whatever rationale you are using for your judgement. Just my 2 cents too!

You are right, todays equipment is superior, golf clubs, simonis cloth, and yes the baseball is juiced, and no there were no steroids being shot back then.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Very nice historical video. Not only it it with Mosconi, with whom not too much footage is available, but he's playing snooker, which I'm not sure I've seen before.

Also, if this is about 1974, this is about the earliest view we have of his famous Balabushka cue. The later looks are his match with Fats, I believe 1978, his instructional video, believe 1980, and some legendary and exhibition matches after that.

Great post,

All the best,
WW

bstroud

Deceased
As I remember Willie and Rex Williams were doing exhibitions across the US at that time. It was for a liquor brand.

I was at the one they did at the Denver Athletic club and it was on a 5x10.

Willie really had no chance playing snooker with Rex.

Bill Stroud

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I remember Willie and Rex Williams were doing exhibitions across the US at that time. It was for a liquor brand.

I was at the one they did at the Denver Athletic club and it was on a 5x10.

Willie really had no chance playing snooker with Rex.

Bill Stroud

It was Smirnoff and the Black Velvet $20,000 Challenge.

Winner $15,000, loser $5,000. 17 days, six cities. Mosconi won all six games of 14.1 and seven of the 18 snooker matches to get the cheese.

Lou Figueroa

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Winner $15,000, loser $5,000. 17 days, six cities. Mosconi won all six games of 14.1 and seven of the 18 snooker matches to get the cheese.

Lou Figueroa

18 snooker matches? How many frames per match?

bstroud

Deceased

Lou Figueroa

Rex had no idea how to play straight pool. Anyone could have beaten him.
Mosconi at least knew how to play a little Snooker on the 5x10.
I could have beat Mosconi very easily playing Snooker at that time.

Bill Stroud

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As I remember Willie and Rex Williams were doing exhibitions across the US at that time. ...
I vaguely recall a story from that exhibition that at one venue the cloth on the snooker table went on wrong side up and Rex lost that time.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool footage.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

While searching through the AP (Associated Press) archives for any news articles (as Lou Figueroa mentioned) with interviews of people who witnessed Mosconi's 526 in 1954, I stumbled across this footage. It is not attributed or attached to any particular news article that I can see, unless I'm reading the AP Archive wrong. It looks like it was raw footage with no audio (has only static throughout, like you'd hear when first placing a phonograph needle into the leading track for a song on a vinyl LP). It looks like it was raw video-only footage intended for a later voice-over, as was the case with news at the time.

You'll see Willie shooting a couple shots on a standard pool table, then at 0:17 (17 seconds in) you'll see Willie's now shooting on a 5x10 snooker table (you'll recognize the rounded pocket corners) but with darker-than-normal colored cloth and standard-color snooker balls. He appears to miss, and what appears to be his opponent, a snooker player, takes over and pockets a long shot down the rail. (This appears to be a VERY permissive table for a shot like that, although it's certainly NOT a 6x12 table.) More shots of Willie making shots on this table ensue.

Cool footage -- I wonder what AP's intent was for this video?

http://aparchive.com/metadata/US-Billiards-Champion/08e4f2dbe0bfc9be6b9f05e0f9f30265

-Sean
If anything, it’s American Snooker.

Attachments

• 737E9A93-BD60-4D63-A2DA-4BF7774C1EFF.jpeg
    737E9A93-BD60-4D63-A2DA-4BF7774C1EFF.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 75

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Folks:

While searching through the AP (Associated Press) archives for any news articles (as Lou Figueroa mentioned) with interviews of people who witnessed Mosconi's 526 in 1954, I stumbled across this footage. It is not attributed or attached to any particular news article that I can see, unless I'm reading the AP Archive wrong. It looks like it was raw footage with no audio (has only static throughout, like you'd hear when first placing a phonograph needle into the leading track for a song on a vinyl LP). It looks like it was raw video-only footage intended for a later voice-over, as was the case with news at the time.

You'll see Willie shooting a couple shots on a standard pool table, then at 0:17 (17 seconds in) you'll see Willie's now shooting on a 5x10 snooker table (you'll recognize the rounded pocket corners) but with darker-than-normal colored cloth and standard-color snooker balls. He appears to miss, and what appears to be his opponent, a snooker player, takes over and pockets a long shot down the rail. (This appears to be a VERY permissive table for a shot like that, although it's certainly NOT a 6x12 table.) More shots of Willie making shots on this table ensue.

Cool footage -- I wonder what AP's intent was for this video?

http://aparchive.com/metadata/US-Billiards-Champion/08e4f2dbe0bfc9be6b9f05e0f9f30265

-Sean

Very cool.