Steve Dunkel

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK first off I have had , Gus, Barry, Schick, Mike Bender, Perry Weston, and Kiekel, build me cues either with wood I have sent them or to my specs oh yes Dennis Searing as well as Joel Hercek plus Southwest and a few less established. I have also owned a couple of Gina’s, a John Bender (also my wood) and I few others. I played my Gus for 12 years before parting, wish I still had them all!!!
Having said all this I sent Steve Dunkel a piece of Jamician Cocus wood to build a cue out of, he was reluctant but did build it for me. At the time his lathe broke down and it took longer than expected so instead of mother of petal inlays Steve did ivory at no charge. Steve also convinced me to try one of his low deflection shafts. I can honestly state that the cue Steve built for me stands with the BEST of any I have had. At the time Steve wasn’t impressed with the Jamican Cocus wood but I am, Steve did at the time tell me that the wrap he did on my cue was one of the best he’d done to that date and three maybe four years later without a magnifying glass you can NOT find the Joint!! Is the cue perfect in construction no there is a very MINOR verification in point alinement but due to the colors it’s unnoticeable without CLOSE inspection. Of utmost importance to me is after probably four years of constant playing the cue and shafts are still straight. I can not speak to any of Steve’s other cues as this is the only Dunkel I have played with or seen. What I can attest to is that Steve is knowledgeable, BUILDS a cue that will PLAY with ANYONES. Mike Bender is a personal friend of mine and building me a cue as I write this nothing fancy with my wood but started it before STEVEs cue and I may get it this OCTOBER. From experience I expect Mikes cue to play well however it will be hard pressed to play better than Steve’s cue. I have not had a bad playing cue from any I have mentioned they all played great but to be honest I’d place the cue Steve build and mikes cues in the cue if play if I had to win, all of them are capable cues but those to suit my game best.

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve built me a simple cue I sent him a piece of Jamaica Cocus wood that to be honest he wasn’t that enthusiastic about using. I wished a simple cue with mother of pearl inlays. His theyth broke down and he felt guility inlaying ivory rather than mother of pearl. Not only does the cue play well but he at the time mentioned to me that it was the best letter wrap he’d ever done to that time. I believe it maybe the best leather wrap ever. I’ve bet multiple player friends $5.00 that they couldn’t find a seem and they’ve lost. I know Mike Bender have had 3 cues from him still have one. I be only had one cue of Steve’s granted I’ve had it longer than my current Bender but if I was playing for $$$ I’d use my Dunkel. FYI Steve may have changed his low deflection shaft his I received the one he built me but my is the cats ass!!!