The new Aramith tournament balls

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back at ya, “dude”.

In all seriousness though, garczar, I appreciate your candor and contributions. I’m guessing you don’t dislike them enough NOT to tune in to the Matchroom streams

Nice to see that we can share critiques and opinions. We have that in common

And just for you, czar.....here’s a pic comparing the Aramith Tournament IPT TOUR set to the other three. These would be Gen 1.5 since you’re taking notes - and are the ones in the 2nd row.

417eaea8a0f6a36aebf05889dbeb2d12.jpg

Later, “dude”.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Centennial-style colors/stripes are considered "classic" because they've been THE standard for years. TV/Skittles came about because of some perceived need due to standard def. television/video. These Black balls were designed(with heavy MR input) with "small digital screens' aka cell-phones in mind. With current HD resolution the CLASSIC ball set is easy to make out. No need for all these funky colors. Watch the Predator 10ball from Vegas. The new Predator balls use Centennial-style colors and make the Blacks look like the turds they are. Again, glad you like yours.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The new Predator balls, huh? Coming summer 2020.

You don’t mind the brownish 7/15 or the real dark green 6/14 or the 3 darts that throw off the oversized number balance on one side or the neato cougar face on the opposing side of the balls .... but you like the other traditional colors of them? They decided against their earlier production set sporting the pink 4/12’s perhaps with your gracious input. Was a sweet pink too.

Well, I guess you’re a reasonable man then, garczar - I just had to look a little deeper.

I can see your point about Centennial-styled ball sets, too. By the way, czar - they’re only “classic” colors because someone started manufacturing them that way and in that color sequence. They became the standard because that’s all that was made available. It’s a new day dawning. It’s nearly 2020. We now have Nero Black and Mamba Greens.

Me, I wouldn’t have started the 1 ball off being yellow, but hey I wasn’t in charge.

If you want to play, I won’t insist on the Blacks. I’ll pull out one of the 8 generations of Centennials for you, sir. I love those as well

~ K.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True story: some cat(better??) walked in the room with his own set of Skittles balls in his cute little ball case. The response(wtf's, giggles, laughter) not only caused him to put them away but he bailed and hasn't been seen since. I only received this second hand but i still think its funny. Again, enjoy those Blacks. BTW, i actually enjoy people's smart-ass/sarcastic remarks. Helps keep me on my game so please keep 'em comin'. I can always copy good material. ;)

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rumor has it that Simonis will be showcasing their new Tournament Fudge and Condom Candy colors just in time for The Rainbow Takeover.

Stunningly passionate.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True story: some cat(better??) walked in the room with his own set of Skittles balls in his cute little ball case. The response(wtf's, giggles, laughter) not only caused him to put them away but he bailed and hasn't been seen since. I only received this second hand but i still think its funny. Again, enjoy those Blacks. BTW, i actually enjoy people's smart-ass/sarcastic remarks. Helps keep me on my game so please keep 'em comin'. I can always copy good material. ;)

Was the laughter because they were Skittles balls? Or the fact he brought his own? I bring my own Tournament set to play 14.1 primarily where having a good matched set is helpful in getting good racks.

To each their own!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Rumor has it that Simonis will be showcasing their new Tournament Fudge and Condom Candy colors just in time for The Rainbow Takeover.

Stunningly passionate.

I find the Black set to be pretty uncool, although I do like that 2 ball. But what’s with all the gay stuff lol...they don’t seem to lean that way at all they’re just a little confused with the 4-5 and dark being good for pool balls.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was the laughter because they were Skittles balls? Or the fact he brought his own? I bring my own Tournament set to play 14.1 primarily where having a good matched set is helpful in getting good racks.

To each their own!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I actually think it was bringing his own set. They told me the case was slung over his shoulder like one of those Euro-weenie man purses. I'm just bustin' the guy's balls(pardon the pun) over his love for these new balls. I think they're horrid and nothings going to change that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Stunningly passionate.
Toooo funny. Just call them the Aramith Tourney Turds.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any day now, The NFL is going to change the color of astroturf to Passion Fruit Pink. The new Redskins jerseys will be Hershey Brown with lavender numbers. Contrast, Baby, contrast.

Google "jumping the shark."

Truth is, Helfert's written play-by-play was the best MC coverage money could buy. OOPS! It was FREE. And quick. And fun. And worth waiting for. And using my limited imagination, I could actually see the balls.

But, I digress. The only way pool is going to make it onto the Big Stage is with paying sponsors and middle class groupies, just like the old days. Changing the color of pool balls seems just a little bit "Junior High."

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any day now, The NFL is going to change the color of astroturf to Passion Fruit Pink. The new Redskins jerseys will be Hershey Brown with lavender numbers. Contrast, Baby, contrast.

Google "jumping the shark."

Truth is, Helfert's written play-by-play was the best MC coverage money could buy. OOPS! It was FREE. And quick. And fun. And worth waiting for. And using my limited imagination, I could actually see the balls.

But, I digress. The only way pool is going to make it onto the Big Stage is with paying sponsors and middle class groupies, just like the old days. Changing the color of pool balls seems just a little bit "Junior High."
IMO a lot of it is EF(who i generally like) at MR just marking her territory. They wanted a MR-specific ball set and they got 'em to almost unanimous disapproval.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO a lot of it is EF(who i generally like) at MR just marking her territory. They wanted a MR-specific ball set and they got 'em to almost unanimous disapproval.

Memo to EF:The way a business enterprise sets itself apart from the competition is with an excellent product that is measurably better than its competition, not with the color of its tutu.

Substance, Substance, Substance.

Color is for "Fruity Pebbles." Yabba-dabba-doo!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Memo to EF:The way a business enterprise sets itself apart from the competition is with an excellent product that is measurably better than its competition, not with the color of its tutu.

Substance, Substance, Substance.

Color is for "Fruity Pebbles." Yabba-dabba-doo!
No doubt to that.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought I’d take a few moments and set up an interesting “generation” pic showing the evolution and variations available for the Aramith Tournament ball set for all to see side by side to compare and contrast.

BTW - Zero changes were made to these pics quickly shot this morning with an iPad Pro in my poolroom with nothing but cropping done and placed in pages with all 4 pics side to side - and then I captured a screen shot of them all together. Low tech basically. Medium resolution for this forum post.

I’ll save the high-end pics and full write up comparison for fans of ball sets and collectors in our Pool Ball Collectors thread later on this month.

The details:

TOP ROW: Gen 1. Traditional colors.
MIDDLE ROW: Gen 2. Television colors.
BOTTOM ROW: Gen 3. The Black edition.

f39914966ccb2c9da9c93254dccab6fa.jpg

A few instant observations- The font/type style has evolved to be crisper and easier to see. The whites have improved from a creamy white to a brighter white without being translucent. Slight color changes from one set to the next with the easiest to see on this low res pic.....the blue becoming bright and perfect. Same for every bold color. The pink is simply flawless. The new BLACK set green #6 is slightly darker in person than this pic and is very easy to see on the table - especially against the amazing Simonis mocha cloth . The brown and purple - well, perfect shades and contrast when you consider that these will be played on tournament green and blue cloth all over the world - and these new greens and blues and shades are much easier to play on both of those colors. Yes, I’ve done that on both the green and blue cloth - but since I’m not trying to convince or sway anyone’s opinion here in this contribution, I didn’t waste time with pics of proof for you to pick apart. This is about the balls and simply seeing where they’ve been and where they are now. Together.

A final word or two.....

The Blacks are stunning in person and on the table. Mocha, Blue and Green cloth for sure. We’ve played about 10 hours with all three sets in a small group of 14.1 players and we noticed zero changes in the post game analysis for high runs averaging 16 to 24 numerous times in each match. Nearly identical. And that is right out of the box and onto the table. Break and play. No adjustment needed to see the edges. We just played them.

~ K.

The traditional colors are the best by far imo.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No sir, they’re definitely not broken. And the traditional ball set colors are avail from Aramith as well as (literally) hundreds of manufacturers around the globe. No reason to trade those Centennials in or tell your friends you’ve crossed the tracks to the other side. You can have both - and enjoy a new direction. See if you’re up to the challenge. Or are you the type that gets lost when trying a new direction?

What I find interesting about this ball set is the galvanizing effect it’s had on so many people - and how quickly most are to dismiss the new kid on the block. It’s not the only kid on the block. Just the latest one to arrive. So let’s reject it.

But the MOST INTERESTING thing of all......is what it tells us about humanity and our fellow man. It’s so easy to say no and let someone else go first. Then, after it’s safe and the coast is clear, the masses come running.

Most of you just like playing it safe

My grandfather used to call that “having no gusto”

~ K.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
No sir, they’re definitely not broken. And the traditional ball set colors are avail from Aramith as well as (literally) hundreds of manufacturers around the globe. No reason to trade those Centennials in or tell your friends you’ve crossed the tracks to the other side. You can have both - and enjoy a new direction. See if you’re up to the challenge. Or are you the type that gets lost when trying a new direction?

What I find interesting about this ball set is the galvanizing effect it’s had on so many people - and how quickly most are to dismiss the new kid on the block. It’s not the only kid on the block. Just the latest one to arrive. So let’s reject it.

But the MOST INTERESTING thing of all......is what it tells us about humanity and our fellow man. It’s so easy to say no and let someone else go first. Then, after it’s safe and the coast is clear, the masses come running.

~ K.

There’s another view point to that situation...new kid on the job...with a college education..
...thinks he’s smarter than everybody....makes changes...finds out those changes had
tried long before he was born....and didn’t work.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

~ K.

By the tone of your post, I'd guess that most of us are a lot more mature than you. Not our first rodeo, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Because we're more mature and thus more experienced, making decisions comes easy for us. It doesn't, as Minnie Pearl might say, "take us long to look a horseshoe."
In point, we have learned the difference between shit and sugar. We're a fairly quick study.

Face it, the balls are stone fugly. They'd have to sneak up on a glass of water to get a drink. They are not cool. They are not avant garde. They are not trending.

Yes, we'll stick with our traditional ball sets. We'll hand clean 'em, and dry 'em, and protect them like the old friends they are. We'll pass them down to our grand kids, who we will have taught to respect them, much in the same way we will have taught them to respect the traditions of a fine game that has, incidentally, been around a lot longer that TV.

Yes, you are right about our fellow man, particularly the mature ones. We are not slaves to fashion, we could care less. We are not entitled children. We actually know how to say No. And that is what we are doing now. No.

Respectfully,

Boxcar