Break cue as primary playing cue?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Duh, thanks.

See Post #13.

Yes, the first day he showed up and did it I told him he’s weird, but he is a 4 so that’s ok. Ironically, I rode the MC to league the other day and couldn’t find a bar cue I wanted to break with so I used his, was making 2-4 balls on the break, makes me want to buy a phenolic tipped shaft for one of my cues.

That would have to get old fast.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm, ive tried 5hise but they always mushroomed on me if i broke with them when using a wooden rack.

Do you always use a template or are you one of the lucky players that break well without breaking hard?

My 10 ball break averages between 22 mph to 26 mph.

Anywhere close to 22ish and the softs fail in my experience.

I have a friend that has a extremely slow (17 mph) 10 ball break but, he usually makes at least one ball, sometimes two...

If i back my speed down, lol...i dont get there.

I break using both kinds of racks.

I can break just about as hard as anybody, but I'm not usually hitting them as hard as I can.

I prefer to control the cue ball on the break, rather than hit them as hard as hell and "hope" for a shot after the break.

I can control the cue ball better using my normal playing cue. I don't need to adjust for anything.

You don't have to hit them at Mach 2 if you are accurate and hit the ball in the rack that you are aiming at SOLID.

I probably hit the cue ball "harder" on almost every shot than most people do. I'm not a spinner, unless I need to "spin".

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I break using both kinds of racks.

1. I do as well. Good to be used to both ways.

I can break just about as hard as anybody, but I'm not usually hitting them as hard as I can.

2. Well, you must break mike a monster cause i know people that can break at 24 to 28 mph while squatting the rock. I lose control of the CB if i break much above 25ish. 23ish mph is my sweet spot for 10 ball and wooden rack. Template, im good at 20ish.

Again, if you can break as hard as "anybody", it must be nice. Have you ever studied your break as in know your prime speeds for specific games and racks used?

I prefer to control the cue ball on the break, rather than hit them as hard as hell and "hope" for a shot after the break.

3. Well, yeah. I would hope so. Unless a person is a complete newb, they consider that breaking 101. Which is why i said my "sweet spot", not my fastest break speed i can produce.

I can control the cue ball better using my normal playing cue. I don't need to adjust for anything.

4. I can to but, i cant break at anywhere near 23 mph with a ultra skin soft with out making the tip flat as the bed. This is the part i was most curious about. I know a few people that break at slower speeds but spread the balls just as well as others at really fast speeds. It sounds like your one of them...or....your getting some very special soft tips.

You don't have to hit them at Mach 2 if you are accurate and hit the ball in the rack that you are aiming at SOLID.

5.You said this, worded in a different way twice already in this post. Just like above, i agree 100%, which is why i dont do it.

I probably hit the cue ball "harder" on almost every shot than most people do. I'm not a spinner, unless I need to "spin".

1 thru 5 is ^^^^^^^^

6. You sound like a solid player. You should post a vid in the ghost thread or 14.1 thread but, i understand if you don't as some don't care for such things. I do from time to time but, i haven't posted one this year due to health issues (wife). Maybe she will be well enough for me to get back to pool soon.

Have a good day sir,

Jeff

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I generally think of my break cue as a more durable cue to avoid smashing my playing cue. I don't think it's significantly better at breaking than my player, just more durable. The trade-off with such a hard tip is that it isn't an ideal player...feel is not great.

So, if you really just want a single cue, get a player and just expect to do a bit more tip maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JC

Coos Cues
I break with ALL my playing cues...production and custom.

Who needs a break cue?

I also break with my player. I think if you're a super soft tip person it could hurt your tip but the cue itself? I wouldn't own a cue I didn't think could stand up to the break shot.

I also break for accuracy not speed.

JC

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
When Predator came out with their BK break cue ~15 or so years ago, I picked one up. I got coaxed into playing a pretty decent pool tournament (9’ tables with tight pocket), and I easily won the tournament using only the BK. I posted the story way back.

I saw a lot of players doing the same thing at SBE on bar tables.

That is funny you say that, back when I had an original Predator Break Cue I was going through a phase where none of my other cues were quite giving me the hit I was looking for and I ended up playing with that Predator break cue...hit them good

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my black Ultra-skin soft tip on one of my playing shafts.

The shaft is a couple years old and it is the same tip that I had put on when the shaft was made for me.

I have never touched the sides of the tip, as far as shaping or doing anything. I have burnished it, but never taken it down with anything.

I have broken hundreds and hundreds of times with this tip and shot thousands and thousands of balls with it.

As you can see, it isn't all mushroomed out, even though I've pounded the hell out of it.

The white you see on the tip is wax. I just waxed the shaft and then I thought to take a picture to put on here before I put it back in the case.

My Becue shafts have the same tips and they look as good as this one, or better, and I've beaten the hell out of them, too.

I've bought all my tips from Tom Hay.

Attachments

• image-2019-06-09 (1).jpg
    image-2019-06-09 (1).jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also break with my player. I think if you're a super soft tip person it could hurt your tip but the cue itself? I wouldn't own a cue I didn't think could stand up to the break shot.

I also break for accuracy not speed.

JC

Yep, if a person uses a very soft tip and uses it to break 9 ball and especially 10 ball and especially with wooden racks, well, their tips aren't gonna last very long.

On the other hand, Cory duel (spelling??) could use a marshmallow tip and not harm the marshmallow and still make a ball.

Some can soft to medium break and spread the rack well, while others (like me) seem to have to break a little harder to get good spread while making a ball.

Some think its a put down when someone says, "your break isn't hard but, you still make a ball with shape".

I can with a magic rack but, put a triangle on the table and its a game changer for me....a much tougher break shot.

Jeff

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, if a person uses a very soft tip and uses it to break 9 ball and especially 10 ball and especially with wooden racks, well, their tips aren't gonna last very long.

On the other hand, Cory duel (spelling??) could use a marshmallow tip and not harm the marshmallow and still make a ball.

Some can soft to medium break and spread the rack well, while others (like me) seem to have to break a little harder to get good spread while making a ball.

Some think its a put down when someone says, "your break isn't hard but, you still make a ball with shape".

I can with a magic rack but, put a triangle on the table and its a game changer for me....a much tougher break shot.

Jeff

See my post above yours.

99% of the breaks on that tip have been with a wooden rack and I'm NOT soft breaking. I'm hitting them pretty damn hard. Today, I was making 2, 3, and 4 balls on the break playing 8-ball with it and that is on a SLOW table.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See my post above yours.

99% of the breaks on that tip have been with a wooden rack and I'm NOT soft breaking. I'm hitting them pretty damn hard. Today, I was making 2, 3, and 4 balls on the break playing 8-ball with it and that is on a SLOW table.

Ok. I'll take your word for it.

Sounds like you've got a world class break to be able to do all of that with a soft tip, slow coth, wooden rack and make multiple balls.

Hats off to ya!

Jeff

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
It's a good thing that break cues have been with us for the last 20-30 year. How did we live without them. Imagine, prior to that we had to use one cue to play, break and *gasp* jump.

Waiting for the day when
I break with ALL my playing cues...production and custom.

Who needs a break cue?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my black Ultra-skin soft tip on one of my playing shafts.

The shaft is a couple years old and it is the same tip that I had put on when the shaft was made for me.

I have never touched the sides of the tip, as far as shaping or doing anything. I have burnished it, but never taken it down with anything.

I have broken hundreds and hundreds of times with this tip and shot thousands and thousands of balls with it.

As you can see, it isn't all mushroomed out, even though I've pounded the hell out of it.

The white you see on the tip is wax. I just waxed the shaft and then I thought to take a picture to put on here before I put it back in the case.

My Becue shafts have the same tips and they look as good as this one, or better, and I've beaten the hell out of them, too.

I've bought all my tips from Tom Hay.

That would drive me nuts. I think I need to report to the pet peeves thread...

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Try a Soft Break when playing a 9 Ball rack. It works pretty well, and you will feel comfortable breaking with any cue you own.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Though I will sometimes use a breaking cue, I have been told by more than one cuemaker
that if you need more than one cue you're likely doing it wrong. For me it's all about the
size of the case. I used to carry around a 3 X 6 and thought I had to have every slot filled.
I began to realize that seldom used more than my player, even to break. When I took
time to go through my case and get rid of all the "extra" stuff that carried and never used
I reduced to a 1 X 2 - My player with 2 shafts. every so often I'll use a 2 X 3 so I can bring
the breaker and when I do I'll break and shoot the first inning with the breaker (Samsara
break tip). Never had a problem doing that. But yes, in my opinion, you should be able to
break and play with the same cue - if you want to