Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Mosconi's slip stroke
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Mosconi's slip stroke
Old
  (#1)
Ed Wiggins
AzB Silver Member
Ed Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Mosconi's slip stroke - 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM

Thanks to billiardshot in the Carom forum for the link that shows the definite slip stroke that Mosconi exhibited in 1945.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/bi...amp-entertains

EW

Old
  (#2)
BluesTele
AzB Silver Member
BluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 300

06-02-2012, 02:17 PM

there is no slip stroke in the video link you posted.
what you see there is mosconi readjusting his grip length.

a slip stroke is... the cue is flowing through the butt hand
as it contacts the ball.
mosconi is gripping the butt when contact is made.

i have seen mosconi shoot many times and at times have stood 2 feet away while he played and have never seen him utilize a slip stroke.

Old
  (#3)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2012, 02:34 PM

Actually a slip stoke is a release of the hand during the backstroke before re-gripping the cue to start the forward stroke. It sure looks like that is what he is doing in this video.

Of interest to me is seeing Willie in his prime, although it was only for a few wing shots, what I noticed was how low he was on the cue.

In his later years he had a more upright stance then in this clip. Realize it is hard to draw conclusions from a few shots, but i found it interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesTele View Post

as it contacts the ball.

i have seen mosconi shoot many times and at times have stood 2 feet away while he played and have never seen him utilize a slip stroke.

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#4)
BluesTele
AzB Silver Member
BluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2012, 02:47 PM

the way i and other players i know always understood the "slip stroke",
is that you use the forward motion of the cue as it slides through your hand to strike the cue ball...then tighten your grip immediately after contact.

Old
  (#5)
itsfroze
AzB Silver Member
itsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond reputeitsfroze has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:

as it contacts the ball.

Thanks for saying that I have to agree, 100%.

Old
  (#6)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
... a slip stroke is... the cue is flowing through the butt hand
as it contacts the ball. ...
Slip stroke -- The grip hand slips back on the butt just prior to the forward stroke at the cue ball.

Stroke slip -- As the forward stroke at the cue ball is executed, the cue slips through the grip hand to some degree (a "throw").

Slip Stroke Definition
Old
  (#7)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

Slip Stroke Definition - 06-02-2012, 03:29 PM

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/stroke.html#slip

Reference to the accepted definition.

Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#8)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsfroze View Post
Thanks for saying that I have to agree, 100%.
I agree. He often had a casual way of playing and handled the cue very lightly. You know a slip stroke when you see it he didn't really have one he just handled the cue in sort of a rhythmic way even when not over the ball. This clip, although he was older, is pretty good to see somewhat how he played

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKw56oAA-E

I am reminded of the line in the movie the Hustler, "Moves like a dancer". He did, the way he waved the cue around, the way he chalked, and pay attention to his body actions and feet and head, it was like a dance. He would often walk backwards as he moved around for shots then spin around and move in the other direction playing pretty fast. He was something to watch when he was going good, very showy.

Last edited by macguy; 06-02-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Old
  (#9)
klockdoc
ughhhhhhhhhh
klockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to klockdoc Send a message via Yahoo to klockdoc  
06-02-2012, 03:35 PM

I am just surprised to hear that Greenleaf NEVER shot any better billiards than that 3 rail nifty here.

---klockdoc--

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak." Larry the Cable Guy

"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself".
Richard Nixon, from his WH farewell address, August 9, 1974

Old
  (#10)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?

06-02-2012, 03:37 PM

There have been a number of discussions about a slip stroke vs a stroke slip on this forum. The description I used is the accepted one by BCA instructors.

Quote:
is that you use the forward motion of the cue as it slides through your hand to strike the cue ball...then tighten your grip immediately after contact.

Background Verified
443-624-0912

Old
  (#11)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockdoc View Post
I am just surprised to hear that Greenleaf NEVER shot any better billiards than that 3 rail nifty here.
That was about a news minute clip of what was probably more then an hour show.

Old
  (#12)
klockdoc
ughhhhhhhhhh
klockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to klockdoc Send a message via Yahoo to klockdoc  
06-02-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That was about a news minute clip of what was probably more then an hour show.
You do realize I was joking, right?

---klockdoc--

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak." Larry the Cable Guy

"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself".
Richard Nixon, from his WH farewell address, August 9, 1974

Old
  (#13)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?

06-02-2012, 03:54 PM

In that clip I saw his backhand for only 6 shots. At least 3 of them were a bad angle, and only one shot did I see what looked like his hand releasing prior to starting the backstroke. Hardly convincing evidence one way or the other. Besides remember at his advanced age in that clip, he surely did not stroke the cue like he did in his prime.

What is very clear is that you can really see the stance difference that I noted in my first post between 1945 and 1980.

p.s. and yes he did have STYLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I agree. He often had a casual way of playing and handled the cue very lightly. You know a slip stroke when you see it he didn't really have one he just handled the cue in sort of a rhythmic way even when not over the ball. This clip, although he was older, is pretty good to see somewhat how he played

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKw56oAA-E

I am reminded of the line in the movie the Hustler, "Moves like a dancer". He did, the way he waved the cue around, the way he chalked, and pay attention to his body actions and feet and head, it was like a dance. He would often walk backwards as he moved around for shots then spin around and move in the other direction playing pretty fast. He was something to watch when he was going good, very showy.

Background Verified
443-624-0912

Last edited by Tony_in_MD; 06-02-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added last comment

Old
  (#14)
joelpope
AzB Gold Member
joelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
No, a slip stroke is when on the last practice stroke the bridge hand holds the cue and the back hand moves back on the butt and then clenches for the forward movement

Having the cue move through a loose grip during the final stroke is just having the cue slip due to a loose grip

Playing cues: Searing, Nitti, Southwest, & Dayton
Break cues: Searing & Predator
Jump cues: my own design and build
Cases: Justis & JB

Last 4 Ever Tip Tool web site
http://last4ever.com

Old
  (#15)
BluesTele
AzB Silver Member

06-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_MD View Post
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/stroke.html#slip

Reference to the accepted definition.

very informative !

Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: