Eating Crow: FargoRate and Siming Chen

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have changed my prior stance that Siming Chen's Fargorate was inflated due to the top women being "not as well coupled" to the top men.

I now believe she plays as good as her rating, and actually is an even match with the likes of Corey, Skylar, Bergman, and others close to her rating.

I changed my mind due to watching her play with my own eyes. This included ghost matches, tournament matches against other current top women, tournament matches in the recent US Open (and scores of her non-streamed matches), and action matches against current top women and men.

I hope she snaps off a big men's tournament in the coming years.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have changed my prior stance that Siming Chen's Fargorate was inflated due to the top women being "not as well coupled" to the top men.

I now believe she plays as good as her rating, and actually is an even match with the likes of Corey, Skylar, Bergman, and others close to her rating.

I changed my mind due to watching her play with my own eyes. This included ghost matches, tournament matches against other current top women, tournament matches in the recent US Open (and scores of her non-streamed matches), and action matches
against current top women and men.
I hope she snaps off a big men's tournament in the coming years.

I'd like to see it but i doubt she will win a BIG men's tournament. I'd say something like Turning Stone is within her reach though.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Props for being able to admit it and eat that crow, it's never easy :)

And yeah, would be great to see her win a male-dominated major.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched both sets against Donnie and as we know, he had his hands real full.

She's super solid.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well Fargo ratings are based on matches with players of the same level no matter the sex and also how well you do against them. So if she plays weaker players and the scores are pretty even, her Fargo would be the about the same as the weaker players.

If only she played 500s but beat them 7-1, 7-2 all the time, her Fargo would be the same as a known player that beats 500s the same way, not a 599 just because she can beat 500s.

Last edited:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a skeptic too, but will agree that she has serious game. Though I don't know how well she plays/breaks without a template rack.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I say it does not matter what anyone believes, whether she can or cannot win a big tournament with the best men playing in it too. What matters is what she believes. Time will tell but I completely believe it's within her limits to win a major. The only proof will be in her results.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say it does not matter what anyone believes, whether she can or cannot win a big tournament with the best men playing in it too. What matters is what she believes. Time will tell but I completely believe it's within her limits to win a major. The only proof will be in her results.

Sounds like one of them 'anything's possible' speeches.

I bet she can't dribble a football!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think Fargo Rate is more realistic...it’s how you really play, day after day.
WPA shows your high-lites.

So, the OP is a well-known gambler...better he should consult Fargo to bet his cash.

...examples....Wu-# 1-Fargo....#26-WPA
Kazakis...# 2-.WPA.....# 29-Fargo
Orcullo...# 6-Fargo...# 42-WPA
Corteza...# 10-Fargo...# 113-WPA

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I saw a streamed match recently of her playing Shawn Wilkie (spelling). She looked like she played pretty well but Shawn easily got the best of her. I know Shawn plays pretty good but the match looked almost too easy for him.

I guess I will have to see more matches of her on Youtube prior to making my guess as to how well she stacks up against the other men.

That being said I think she would and will beat most all of the other women players pretty easily.

I do like her game and would love to see her beat the men as it would certainly be good for the game overall.

Kevin

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen the results of both her matches with Donnie(both wins) and the one with Shaun(loss). Let's recall, both these players are not top tier Pros. Her Fargo is head and shoulders above the women players and she is winning those tournaments.
However, in a Men's event, she is not rated as high as the top male players. I can see her winning some matches but winning a major event would mean beating 7/8 top players back to back. Even if the odds were even, it would be a coin flip and it would be hard to win a coin flip 7/8 times in a row. But she is rated lower than the top tier male players so she would have to beat the odds more than half the time. It would be very difficult at best. She could win some regional men's events but I doubt she will win a Major men's event. JMHO

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen the results of both her matches with Donnie(both wins) and the one with Shaun(loss). Let's recall, both these players are not top tier Pros. Her Fargo is head and shoulders above the women players and she is winning those tournaments.
However, in a Men's event, she is not rated as high as the top male players. I can see her winning some matches but winning a major event would mean beating 7/8 top players back to back. Even if the odds were even, it would be a coin flip and it would be hard to win a coin flip 7/8 times in a row. But she is rated lower than the top tier male players so she would have to beat the odds more than half the time. It would be very difficult at best. She could win some regional men's events but I doubt she will win a Major men's event. JMHO

This assumes she's done improving against the field, but I think she's only 25 or something and she seem's very dedicated, so I believe she will continue improving both physically and mentally. Also, to your point, I've lost 11 coin flips in a row before. Furthermore, consider that players can run hotter (and cooler) than their fargo. With all this in mind I say it's well within the realm of possibility that she could win a major men's tourney at some point.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Her current FR is 786, and I would say her odds of snapping off a major tournament are as good as anyone that is rated the same. How good are those odds?

Well, below is a list of 9 major events, and the player that won with their current FR. All, but one of those players has a current FR over 800.

2018 Japan Open
Lee Van Corteza - 807

2018 US Open 10 Ball
SVB - 820

2018 Turning Stone XXX
SVB - 820

2018 China Open
Ko Pin Yi - 815

2018 International 9 Ball Open
JL Chang - 817

2018 World 9 Ball
Joshua Filler - 816

2019 Turning Stone XXXI
Jayson Shaw - 817

2019 DCC 9 Ball
Skylar Woodard - 788

2019 US Open 9 Ball
Joshua Filler - 816

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's about how I see this.

Agreed.
To my knowledge, there has never been a woman athlete in any sport who is better than the best men in that sport.
Men are bigger, stronger, faster, etc.
Pool and billiards may not rely only on strength to excel, but the physical aspect can not be ignored.
Siming Chen may someday win a major tournament against the top male players, but I would not bet on it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Agreed.
To my knowledge, there has never been a woman athlete in any sport who is better than the best men in that sport.
Men are bigger, stronger, faster, etc.
Pool and billiards may not rely only on strength to excel, but the physical aspect can not be ignored.
Siming Chen may someday win a major tournament against the top male players, but I would not bet on it.

Like anyone in the 780's, she has a chance to beat anyone, but winning the toughest events means knocking off champion after champion and I just don't think she is up to this extremely demanding task. That said, I'd love to be wrong here.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I think Skylar has improved quite a bit in the past year so his recent level of play may well be above 788.

In the last 6 months, Siming has 305 games at 792.5 speed and Sky has 502 games at 793.5 speed --essentially the same.

When you add in the 6 months before that, Sky goes to 1179 games at 799 speed and Siming goes to 418 games at 770 speed. Essentially this adds for Skylar he incredible run at the International 9-Ball Open, which boosts him, and Siming gets to add a WPBA event in WI where she lost 9-2 to Allison Fisher and 9-5 to April Larson.

Over the last 18 months, it is Siming 647 games at 780 speed; Sky 1788 games at 785 speed.

It is hard to distinguish improvement from swings.