Adjustment out of line?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played a pretty good player one pocket for $5 a game.
I'm just a sociable player that bets low. Thats just how it is.

I'm getting 8-6.
He wins 5 straight.
I ask for an adjustment.
Maybe 9-6.
He says you move too good for 9-6.
I said if I move so good why did I lose 5 straight?
He declined to adjust so I quit.
He in no way needs the $25.00 I lost.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Save the high level weight negotiations for when the stakes rise above jelly beans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he already agreed to give you weight for $5 a game, I don't see what the big deal would be about trying to make it more fair once you figure out if the spot is right. It's obviously not about money so why not at least try to challenge yourself. The other way to look at it is that if this guy really is a good player, he's showing you moves for $5 a game and really you should just be playing him even and treating like a cheap lesson. There are some top one pocket players in my room, I'm talking guys that beat J Hall, Shuff, Schmidt and other great players playing even. I try to play them as often as I can for as cheap as I can, but for less than $40 a game there's really no incentive for them to try to make it a fair game. You're just cherry picking moves that will make you a lot of money somewhere else and they're basically breaking even after they pay the time. Luckily they're friendly dudes and they oblige me sometimes.

vinay

Registered
I said if I move so good why did I lose 5 straight

That's exactly what a hustler would say after throwing a few games at low stakes. I'm not saying you were trying to hustle him, but if he doesn't know you well he has no way of knowing that.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
why not?

I would have given you nine-six for that session, assuming we are even before that five game in a row loss. Why not, I am playing on your money. Next time we played I would start at eight-six again though, this is a short term spot.

Hu

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without knowing the scores of the 5 games you lost, it is impossible for anyone to know whether one ball was too large of an adjustment.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty cheap action... maybe keep it at 8-6 but you get
the breaks? If he's getting out, that is def a cheap lesson..
$.02

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everything at any time up for negotiation. You can always ask. Having said that, yes for $5 a game it’s out of line. You’re basically paying for lessons and when table time is considered it’s a losing proposition for the both of you from a money standpoint.

When first learning the game (no books or videos available) I played an retired seasoned player getting 9-7 for $5 a game. That was 1970. $5 then is like $40 now. I had little to no chance of winning a game but he would show me shots and moves. Was worth whatever I donated.

Played a pretty good player one pocket for $5 a game.
I'm just a sociable player that bets low. Thats just how it is.

I'm getting 8-6.
He wins 5 straight.
I ask for an adjustment.
Maybe 9-6.
He says you move too good for 9-6.
I said if I move so good why did I lose 5 straight?
He declined to adjust so I quit.
He in no way needs the $25.00 I lost.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's pretty cheap action... maybe keep it at 8-6 but you get
the breaks? If he's getting out, that is def a cheap lesson..
$.02

8-6 and the break is stronger than 9-6...assuming the break is successful.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Truth is you probably dont win at 9-6 either.

You dont get out to play much so if you want to keep playing this guy change something. You can play straight pool ,you can run balls, what is tripping you up?
Beat that other guy who loses and doesnt want to adjust, then donate some to this guy! Pool economy needs to churn too:D

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8-6 and the break is stronger than 9-6...assuming the break is successful.

Yep, but I've played and seen guys where the break didn't matter.. and his
opponent sounds like he can move well... might get out of the break quick.
Measure did lose 5 straight.. $.02

Runner<<< might need 9-6 from PT:wink:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without knowing the scores of the 5 games you lost, it is impossible for anyone to know whether one ball was too large of an adjustment.
Exactly. How close were the games? Just 'cause you lost 5 straight doesn't automatically mean an adjustment is in order.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Offer to raise the bet and see if he's willing to adjust. One pocket is a hustler's game so it can be managed by those who play well. I once saw a guy lose 15 games in a row 8-7 or 8-6 and never realize he was being carried so it was to close to adjust

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A ball is a big adjustment...I might’ve offered 11-8
Lol. Really ? You think 11-8 is a bigger spot than 8-6 ?? 9-6 from 8-6 is only a 1/2 a ball.
Actually , if you can win 5 str8 8-6, you win most of the time 9-6. His opponent seems nitty to me.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. How close were the games? Just 'cause you lost 5 straight doesn't automatically mean an adjustment is in order.

The most I got was 4 balls.
The guy doesn't move better than me.
He just plays better pool.

I might try him again at 8-6.
Like some of you said at $5 a game why not.
But I will tighten my defence and take less chances.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He doesnt move better, he just plays better? What does that mean?

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you already move better than him you should be making him pay YOU for the lesson and not the other way round. I would say play him 8-6 and just stop selling out...

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i wee really gambling,i would mark tis guy down as someone to avoid
a bit of a nit

if i ever win 5 in a row and an opponent ask to adjusy,unless there is a long long history.
i adjust i give the guy a chance to lose all he has. i am not there to brag about winning,
my plan is to win it all. I usually like to raise the bet and adjust at the same time.

In the art of matching up we find the correct move to be,sure i will give you 9 to 6 but lets double the bet,
and make it a set to 4 for twice the bet

Questions like this protect you from the ultimate move on his part of wanting to adjust and then quit if he loses the first game

if the game suddenly goes his way we can adjust back,but he won't quit me because i am a nit

I never never entertain thoughts like what if he is just hustling me and now he is ready to start playing good

This is loser talk,loser thinking,scared thinking. He might be,but then again if I go hunting tigers
I don't want to be afraid to get out of the jeep because i might trip and he eats me up

in a cheap game like you describe,sometimes a fella just wants to protect his victory.why?
who knows and frankly who cares?

There is nothing you can do,but quit with a smile on your face,play him again if you want,never play him again.you might have saved a few dollars not getting the extra weight.

In games this cheap you are saying money doesn't matter.

But your actions here show us that it bothers you

forget it,it s not worth thinking about,cheap pool is miserable and not much fun

Last edited: