Decorative Pins in Cues

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
1991 Joss.

Black pin. Anybody remember these?

9M8TdKP_A5yXDNas_81RdLPGi1lkJQV8Bj-V-YcANQucNjXsW5zDCL7jV0q4Dnqb7Akx-72lF8WshuWLz-UHGb0KqsCnegwgwwDbbII_Lccg7SuB7nuVPvMJYxzp_IUMj50hizEQ1IJ26CBqkIPAshPGTj6v-jUqnBod4lwIiJ-1i_hEuT-AcXg7RspLUojR-_b41WHhWIBdxWpvXSXeBTzvvFvFqrzIBtCbcjVodNGlxizZMlmpusBDerFDw2yZod4_oak9aXmDo2hxzfyWmXOwYfACGct93QfdA2QONHVC_hbDjqd581UF7TIoKCFREuRttNb3Oo7CcqdEBGy9X1LHzxuZmq3JUrLcRTwEURFEcqVtuG7YNf__fLV8pmNvNkAmll3wamLDPYKVU0HDRbnezxrjmZPbJ87TZQasuve4Gb1qOT9uImvbAH-U0EWzPacE3eiqi-f4w-4YtO2niOx-j_oiwPMLZ45k6r96dBVyyuQBiWgllYQU5d7vVblrmE6EyeN_BWtm0A4rkm1Ae32RCLyEMmsYZxNVMCVXIzpQAveKSVgThbhM_wRTL1IS6ekrcM5W3WcL_llJGvErHttHjX18r4A2Z0jxk9Gb3becuRj4aoWa4v3rHBz_ahqDxrqJug3XQt_SsCG-R_JlccoXOYykXHc_=w1299-h974-no

I had an N-15 with that pin
Wondered if it was the original pin, although I figured it was original, no reason to change it

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's shaping up to be a great looking cue Mike, I can see how that blue pin really will be the icing on the cake :smile:

I dig blue veneers. That cue is going to be very nice.

And I agree, the blue pin will be the icing on the cake.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an N-15 with that pin
Wondered if it was the original pin, although I figured it was original, no reason to change it

Definitely original.

I am wondering how common or uncommon they might be.

I want to say that was a great era for Joss, but honestly they have been great all along.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Definitely original.

I am wondering how common or uncommon they might be.

I want to say that was a great era for Joss, but honestly they have been great all along.

Joss cues are okay.
I'm only in to the block letter cues.
The N-series with the gold lettering on the joint collars were pretty good, but beyond
that I don't pay much attention.
Actually the workmanship on my N-15 wasn't very good, and pretty weird.

A few years ago I had a new one that played pretty good, but I found 3 different
model numbers on the same cue.
They must build thousands of cues for various distributors,
The new Joss cues seem to have a better feel than previous years

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm only really into the block letters myself. I have a couple, including of course the one I have had since 85 that is my player.

But I have happened on others over the years. This N series cue is something my wife found on Facebook swip swap for cheap recently. Got it with the original engraved Joss JPs and an AVP 2x4 case.

I have a couple others from around 2002/3. My wife got me one of those for my birthday, and the other was a local find...again dirt cheap. Actually, I gave one of those away to my protégé.

I have a couple others.

There are things I have seen I don't like. The gap at the base of the points is huge. The tips of the rounded points there are glue filled gaps...and more at the end of each re-cut. And some other stuff.

I don't have any Joss cues with rounded points. I don't like them.

I do like what's inside the modern Joss cues and have posted about it, the full length threaded stepped core. People go on about Schon cues, and they hold their value better than modern Joss cues...but if you go to the cue maker forum you can see things. Like a broken Schon butt...no core. An "ebony" Schon butt sleeve that needed a refinished that turned out was painted. I believe Schon did sell that cue as ebony BTW.

I'm impressed with that Joss core construction.

Three model numbers on the same cue? I have never seen that. But it does not concern me.

I don't know what their production numbers are.

At any rate, I am interested in any info about the black pin. It's more of a curiosity than anything else. :)

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Right now, I am remembering a thread that listed "firsts" for cue makers. Who did something first in construction technique or use of materials.

Right now, it looks like Janes was first to put a color on a cue pin.

Does anybody know a maker doing it before 1991?

You know something, I remember that thread. I put in a post that I thought Tim Scuggs was the first to do bridged points. It was quite awhile ago. This one is a good question too. Must be OCD to think about this.:eek:

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know something, I remember that thread. I put in a post that I thought Tim Scuggs was the first to do bridged points. It was quite awhile ago. This one is a good question too. Must be OCD to think about this.:eek:

All the best,
WW

OCD? LOL! Yeah, sort of. :thumbup:

I am tracking and researching a number of cue matters all the time.

And I don't give up easily.

Often they are trivial things...which occasionally open doors to bigger things that I come across in the search.

Some are not interested if the conversation does not begin with Gus, Burton, or George, etc. That's cool.

I'll chase almost anything as far as cue or cue maker information. :smile:

I love the history, and I hate loose ends.