Old
  (#46)
One Pocket John
AzB Gold Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-11-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, all of what I've edited from your post as it relates to me is the absolute gospel truth. And I started going into pool rooms in 1953. Yep not '63 like you, but '53.
I also used the balance rite middle extension for a while. Didn't help much...now it is in the junk box.
This homemade "tail end" extension idea of yours is the stone cold nuts!
No longer do I start getting that sneaky feeling of 'scare' rising up in the gut when I'm faced with that full length table shot with CB frozen on the rail. And believe me, I've spent the hours trying to be comfortable and proficient on those shots....hours and hours for years. Had some very good coaching on it too, along the way. (not from fat belly big shots, but from real hitters who played for the cheese...Mizerak, Martin, Jones, Squirrel, Robin Bell, Jimmy Reid and more.) Stan Shuffett's "poke stroke" off the rail helped a lot, but not quite good enough for an old lock artist like me.
I still don't want to shoot them, they're tough, but that "mass behind the grip" makes it a whole lot better. And when the guy misses an easy shot, that is exactly where I always seem to get left....frozen on that rail a mile away from the hole.
For the few bucks invested, a person can't really go wrong in trying it out. He can always just throw the thing way if it doesn't work. Certainly not like spending 80-100 dollars for something and then being disappointed.
You're a pretty sharp old bird. Gotta' hand it to you.
Thanks for the kind words.

Just got back from Lowes with materials to build a new extension. It was important that the weight on the end of the extension be adjustable at all times.

I didn't put it all together yet because I wanted folks to see how simple it is to build one of these. Not even painted yet. I might go with flames or lightning bolt decals later.

The PVC end cap has a 3/8-16 x 2 hex bolt going thru it. The bolt is held in place by a 3/8" nut that is not removable. As needed to fit ones comfort (desired feel) additional 3/8" nuts can be added. The cap will be removable to either add more weight or to reduce the weight.

I forgot to mention that the overall length of the extension is 12"

Like I thought I spent $6.00

So, here is a picture before final assemble.

John
Attached Images

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 08-11-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Old
  (#47)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2018, 10:17 AM

One of the most informative posts ever made in this entire site, in my opinion.
Great work and great thinking.

Just call me "Harmless who can't make a Ball".....

"Lifting a glass in a toast to the everlasting memory of the Mustang motorcycle....one of California's finest contributions to a by-gone era"

Old
  (#48)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket John View Post

Adding 3.75" to the length of the cue now allowed me to move my grip hand onto the wrap, with 1" of wrap showing behind my grip hand. Now I had 5" of mass behind my grip hand. My normal bridge distance is 8" to 10" where I can use it.

If fact the upper arm/shoulder are not even in the equation any more. If the upper arm drops it's only because the mass of the cue is pulling it down.
Question: I'm a little confused about something. You used to hold the cue farther back than you do now, but you say that the upper arm does not move during your stroke. That means you are using a pendulum stroke. Normally you want the lower arm to be perpendicular to the cue at contact. Adding mass to the back of the cue wouldn't change that. If you have changed the point where you hold the cue are you now perpendicular, and were not previously, or vice versa?

Dan White

Old
  (#49)
One Pocket John
AzB Gold Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Question: I'm a little confused about something. You used to hold the cue farther back than you do now, but you say that the upper arm does not move during your stroke. That means you are using a pendulum stroke. Normally you want the lower arm to be perpendicular to the cue at contact. Adding mass to the back of the cue wouldn't change that. If you have changed the point where you hold the cue are you now perpendicular, and were not previously, or vice versa?
I still hold the cue with 1" of wrap showing which leaves 5" of mass behind my grip hand.
With the addition of the weighted extension and grip hand in the same position I now have 16" of weighted mass behind my grip hand.

The only way the upper arm will drop is if I allow the mass to continue forward. This of course depends on where I would like the cue ball to go.

With the addition of the weighted extension using the short stroking technique is working very well. My backstroke of the cue is about 4" or less.

Yes, I would have to say that the stroke is more of a pendulum type. Not the piston type.

I apologize if my earlier writings were not clear.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

Old
  (#50)
One Pocket John
AzB Gold Member

08-11-2018, 02:02 PM

I'm pretty much done with my thread here and will be ending my comments on the subject of Controlling the Mass. I've said all I can say and offered as much as I can offer.

If you feel the mass of your cue in front of your grip hand then you are pushing the mass. If you feel the mass of the cue behind your grip hand then you are pulling the mass.

According to the Little Book of Talent (which is the best book on the planet for learning how to learn) this new feeling and use of the cue will take about 8 weeks of practice before it becomes natural and I don't have to think about it any more, just shoot some pool.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and questions.

Many, many thanks to my friend and coach in New Jersey.

Don't ever give up on learning.

Over and Out.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 08-11-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Old
  (#51)
Ralph Kramden
BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Ralph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words.

Just got back from Lowes with materials to build a new extension. It was important that the weight on the end of the extension be adjustable at all times.

I didn't put it all together yet because I wanted folks to see how simple it is to build one of these. Not even painted yet. I might go with flames or lightning bolt decals later.

The PVC end cap has a 3/8-16 x 2 hex bolt going thru it. The bolt is held in place by a 3/8" nut that is not removable. As needed to fit ones comfort (desired feel) additional 3/8" nuts can be added. The cap will be removable to either add more weight or to reduce the weight.

I forgot to mention that the overall length of the extension is 12"

Like I thought I spent $6.00

So, here is a picture before final assemble.

John
Quote:
I'm pretty much done with my thread here and will be ending my comments on the subject of Controlling the Mass. I've said all I can say and offered as much as I can offer.

If you feel the mass of your cue in front of your grip hand then you are pushing the mass. If you feel the mass of the cue behind your grip hand then you are pulling the mass.

According to the Little Book of Talent (which is the best book on the planet for learning how to learn) this new feeling and use of the cue will take about 8 weeks of practice before it becomes natural and I don't have to think about it any more, just shoot some pool.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and questions.

Many, many thanks to my friend and coach in New Jersey.

Don't ever give up on learning.

Over and Out.

John
1pj.. Could you measure each part you used and post it?.. Is your cue extended 12" longer, or is it just the extension length that's actually 12" long?

Thanks...

GAMES... http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard

Recognize a 1/2 ball 30 degree cut and quarter ball angles.
Paralysis by aiming analysis happens by thinking too much.

To play at top speed... You must own the stop shot line.

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: