a new direction in 1997

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just ran across this article while sorting through my old P&B magazines. 10 bonus points if you can tell us what became of the effort.

MiscMags 002.jpg

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ran across this article while sorting through my old P&B magazines. 10 bonus points if you can tell us what became of the effort.

View attachment 467508

If I remember correctly , they owed about 4 or 500 thousand to the tournament winners when it was over, and decided, they were not getting enough advertisement bang for their buck, as they thought they would, and pulled out.
I believe they were sued for the money, but i never heard of anyone getting paid, any of that money owed.
After that CJ Wiley started his tour and for whatever reason , decided to have a million dollar prize for running 10 racks I think,
He convinced an insurer that it was nearly impossible and they sold them a policy, and I think the first tournament, Earl runs 11 and claims the prize , amidst a mountain of controversy.
Sorry if this is not the direction you were going , this is just the main things I remember, {or think I remember}, not always sure any more.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly , they owed about 4 or 500 thousand to the tournament winners when it was over, and decided, they were not getting enough advertisement bang for their buck, as they thought they would, and pulled out.
I believe they were sued for the money, but i never heard of anyone getting paid, any of that money owed.
After that CJ Wiley started his tour and for whatever reason , decided to have a million dollar prize for running 10 racks I think,
He convinced an insurer that it was nearly impossible and they sold them a policy, and I think the first tournament, Earl runs 11 and claims the prize , amidst a mountain of controversy.
Sorry if this is not the direction you were going , this is just the main things I remember, {or think I remember}, not always sure any more.

That's the right direction, but the timing is off. CJ started his organization just as the Camel deal with the PBT started. I think the event mentioned in the article was the first one sponsored by Camel after Camel split from its deal with the PBT. I suppose someone needs to do a timeline.

afftonbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your Protectors at work!

The government ruled that tobacco could not sponsor sporting events. Therefore, Camel could not be involved in any pool events. The Tournament director for the tour was out of a job leading to the formation of THE BILLIARD CLUB on the internet.

Big Al

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The government ruled that tobacco could not sponsor sporting events. Therefore, Camel could not be involved in any pool events. The Tournament director for the tour was out of a job leading to the formation of THE BILLIARD CLUB on the internet.

Big Al

The ban on TV advertising came much earlier and the "no tobacco sports sponsorship" came much later, so legislation had little to do with Camel's decision. From Wikipedia:

In April 1970, President Nixon signed into law the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act banning the advertising of cigarettes on television and radio starting on 2 January 1971.[59] [...] Even further restrictions took effect under the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. Effective 22 June 2010, the new regulations prohibit tobacco companies from sponsoring sports, music, and other cultural events.