Anniversary legs, best wood to reskin with?

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone on here know of the best material and where to get it?

Not much selection here in Are-We-Gone.

Thanks, Dave.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Veneer info

I usually buy 4' x 8' sheets of 6 mil paperback walnut veneer (<-----if you copy an paste that into google you will come up with many options),they will ship it. I also order it custom so the grain is going the short way 4' , then you can have it continuously wrap around with 1 seam. I usually pay around $85.00-$95.00 per sheet, might be moe

I am not the guy who installs it though and if you are not skilled in this area, pay someone who is!

Good luck to you.

Trent from Toledo

My latest Anniversary restoration, installed July 18th in Powell, Ohio! Legs are not re-veneered.

37388358_832927070250656_5955734783181979648_n.jpg

37592113_832927426917287_9089150718262116352_o.jpg

37487976_832927603583936_6624875552434028544_o.jpg

37392839_832928263583870_1700185030577356800_o.jpg

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually buy 4' x 8' sheets of 6 mil paperback walnut veneer (<-----if you copy an paste that into google you will come up with many options),they will ship it. I also order it custom so the grain is going the short way 4' , then you can have it continuously wrap around with 1 seam. I usually pay around $85.00-$95.00 per sheet, might be moe

I am not the guy who installs it though and if you are not skilled in this area, pay someone who is!

Good luck to you.

Trent from Toledo

My latest Anniversary restoration, installed July 18th in Powell, Ohio! Legs are not re-veneered.
----------------------------------------

Thanks for the feedback Trent, the table you posted is exactly like the one I am doing (assuming it's the 9') very nice. I am tempted to leave the legs ugly so I won't try to sell it, I want it to be my table for the next 30 years or so.

I can get veneers like you mentioned but I was looking for the perfect hardwood bendable plywood.

I found it locally in 3/8" but it's too thick for the band. Bendable plywood has all plys running the same direction, it rolls up for cheaper shipping. They had it with a Walnut skin and the grain was vertical. I would like that in 1/8" or 1/4".

The hardest part of the job is removal of the old, it was glued onto the rounded corners in a few spots but it came off and cleaned up nicely. Putting on the new is the easy part, I can see using the best bendable and putting the veneer over it.

Keep up the great work and Thanks again, Dave.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Good luck to you.

Trent from Toledo

----------------------------------------

Thanks for the feedback Trent, the table you posted is exactly like the one I am doing (assuming it's the 9') very nice. I am tempted to leave the legs ugly so I won't try to sell it, I want it to be my table for the next 30 years or so.

I can get veneers like you mentioned but I was looking for the perfect hardwood bendable plywood.

I found it locally in 3/8" but it's too thick for the band. Bendable plywood has all plys running the same direction, it rolls up for cheaper shipping. They had it with a Walnut skin and the grain was vertical. I would like that in 1/8" or 1/4".

The hardest part of the job is removal of the old, it was glued onto the rounded corners in a few spots but it came off and cleaned up nicely. Putting on the new is the easy part, I can see using the best bendable and putting the veneer over it.

Keep up the great work and Thanks again, Dave.

It really depends on the condition of the wood that's already there. My guy has had to remove all the wood and use the bendable plywood, then the veneer, but, that was because the wood was destroyed. I have my legbands custom made and that helps with the size difference when I run into that situation. You should be able to find a sheet metal shop in your area that can reverse engineer you a new set of legbands. Other times there are just holes, they are repaired/ the legs are re veneered. I try very hard to keep my projects as original as possible concerning parts. The legbands & pockets are the only part that usually get replaced.

Have fun!

Trent from Toledo